Hello Guest

Is There A Cross Country Run ?........

• 40 Replies

Offline Capt

• LIFT IT ! .......Fat Chicks CAN'T JUMP !!
Is There A Cross Country Run ?........
« on: March 04, 2012, 05:46:01 AM »

As you may imagine; Pipeliner's are an adventurous bunch, Not to be accused of being GYPSIES,
We are MERCENARIES; Hired PROFESSIONALS that are willing to travel, to just about anywhere* to do our "Trades",
                                              "COMMERCIAL TOURISTS"
This "IDEA" came up last night over dinner, with some other Pipeliner's; way before the "Beers started really Flowing".
As most often when jobs are winding down, all talk about what they have planned for the time off before the next job,
Well after all the Usual....Jamaica, Amsterdam, Thailand..... we got onto this somehow....
You know how they have those well known "Cross Continent Runs"....The Dakar, The PanAmerican Run of the mid 50's,
The Gumball Rally, ..... etc.
Well, is there any cross North American Runs that are just for the AVERAGE JOE? Not really a RACE, just load up your
Debit Card, Minimal Camping Gear, a single suit case, (Bring only what you need as it has to fit in 1 vehicle) cross country
back roads marathon and last only about 2 weeks? Kind of like the Great Race that they have for them collector vehicles,
but for the average Working Stiff, Not the Wine & Cheese crowd, for the Real American, a Brats, Burgers, & Cheap Beer run.

Maybe, all you bud's at Suzuki, with the sites advertisers, could put together such a run.
Start in Maine, cut thru Canada on the Top of The Great Lakes, come out at Saute Ste Marie, Catch Old US 51 at
Ironwood/Hurley (with a little Coin Drop to Wisconsin Governor I sure we could run the ATV trails all the way down to Manitowish Waters), Drop down the center of the US to New Orleans, Cut out west thru Apache Country to the West coast.

So, What do you think ?
Need a couple of beers to get it rolling?
Look me up,..... Clarksburg, West Virginia, .......Saturday after the Memorial Run,.....March 10th, 2012.

CAPT
*anywhere: Nations that are not under siege, civil uprisings, Islamic Radicals, etc. (which now has wipe out most of              the work on the African continent & along the Mediterranean)

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Re: Is There A Cross Country Run ?........
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 05:00:09 PM »
Sounds like a Grand Advanture for sure. I don't know of any organized ones specifically, But really , who but guys in your line of work can take that kind of time? I had to loose my job to get to use the 6 weeks of vaca time I accrued over 10 years but never was allowed to use. Gotta tell ya though, after logging over 6000 miles in a 4 and a half week span in my Tracker  a couple of summers ago, I can honestly say I'd like to do it asap. I love to roaming the backroads of America.
There's a guy down in GA that has mapped an almost complete route across the country, ON DIRT, using every kind of private and public access "road" he could find over the last 10/15 years. He calls his route Trans America Trail. Of course at the rate of develpment during that time some of that has been paved, but still, even if only 65% were still on dirt , now that would be a real off road adventure vehicle run for North America.  
He did all his exploring and mapping using a dual sport bike, but after talking with him he asssured me most all of it can be done in a 4 wheeled vehicle. He now sells the maps, in sets for various parts of the country and different legs of the trip. They are quite detailed and in the form of a Enduro roll chart, for those of you who are familar with Enduro or cross country motorcycle racing. Not cheap, but condidering the amount of detail and information, including things like mileage at all points, next turn distance and direction, GPS data and notes on local things of import, it's money well spent imo.
I picked up 1 set just to give mysef some idea of how much time would be involved and do some dreaming and came to the conclusion I would have to be independantly wealthy, retired with $, or both to even try it, and a dedicated navagator who knows what the hell their doing would be a must.  TIME is the only real issue I cant figure out,  I would like to buy more time. I can think of ways to do it cheaply enough, but time I can't seem to get enough , unless I win the lotto and can quit working now.  :laugh:
I  figure 3/5 months ought to be enough time to do it visiting every great trail system along the way.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:26:47 AM by bentparts »
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Capt

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 03:43:14 PM »
Yes it's a DREAM,
Maybe I have the Old 60's mentality, Just drop out for while.... do it for YOURSELF !!!
The world will still be here when you get back, AND NOTHING WILL HAVE CHANGED !!

And I am not going to live forever..........
A Journey will begin only with the "First Step" !!!

It won't be the Mountains in your life that will slow you down......
                                                                                    IT'LL BE THE SAND IN YOUR SHOES !!! 
                                                                                                                   old proverb
CAPT

Offline Jonny Rash

• Too many Samurais, too little time
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:58:15 PM »
Yeah, I consider myself more of an adventurist than a wheeler.  I love driving cross country in a Samurai when I have the time to do so.  I really can't take much more than a week off at a time though.

I'm about the only person in my offroad club that actually wheels what I drive to the trail.  Everyone else trailers their offroad rigs  ??? Even the fellow Suzuki guys.  :(

I'm considering leaving my current club because of that fact.  Everyone is in such a hurry to get to the trails, hauling their rigs at 80mph down tollroads at 5AM on Saturday morning.  Whereas I'm usually cruising the scenic backroads at around 7AM and taking my time to get to the trailhead.  The trails, often less-than-scenic tree covered hills, aren't going anywhere and I'm in no big hurry to see them.
25+ years of Samurai ownership!

Offline Oldsam

• 88.5 JA
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 08:06:10 PM »
What if it was laid out in legs or sections and participants did what they had time and resources to do?
Some might only be able to do one leg and others may be able to do more or the whole thing.
Just a thought, but I love the concept.

David
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. (John 3:17)

Offline bentparts

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 04:00:24 AM »
Maybe we should start a group dedicated to " Adventure " touring Zuks?

Offline nprecon

• ONWARD... through the fog!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 05:56:52 AM »
A very cool idea, especially if most of the trails traveled were dirt = backwoods with scenery not seen while traveling hardball.  Breaking the runs down into smaller sections could get more owners participating with periods of time they could actually fit into their calendars as time and locality permitted. I'm with Jonny Rash.  I've rushed to get about every where I had to be for most of my earlier life.  That's why I try to avoid interstates whenever, where ever I can today.  I enjoy driving trails checking out new scenery.  I don't mind improvised water crossings, driving in mud, snow, dirt, or graveled trails.  I'm not interested in technical trails or mud bogging.  Had enough sand, mud driving and participating in recovery ops as well as convoy driving on hard ball roads for mindless hours courtesy of the Army to last me the rest of my life and I don't have the coin to continually buy replacement parts I would surely break wheeling technical terrain.   I like to sleep where I want to sleep, eat what I want to eat, and go when and where I want to go.... all while listening to my sirius radio.

I like the concept Bentparts was talking about... dirt roads/trails across America. Would still have to carry tools, repair parts for on the go repairs and some light recovery gear to keep it going.  Rough camping enroute would add to the flavor.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:11:04 AM by nprecon »
'02 Chezuki Tracker with a 2 Liter and 5spd.  It works for me!!!

Offline Jonny Rash

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 07:00:45 AM »
Nprecon,
I'm a former Army guy as well; been out for five years now.  I know all about the hurry up and wait.

I don't mind traveling old, hardball roads and checking out old bridges, ghost towns, etc along the way.  I kind of look at the Samurai as a four wheel, all terrain motorcycle.  It's great for cruising the backroads/old highways at 50-60mph.

Offline Jonny Rash

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 07:04:57 AM »
I also plan to drive a Samurai to the Colorado ZW Run in August.  It's around 750 miles from my location and it should be an interesting, sight seeing adventure. 

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 08:06:57 AM »
^^^ Cough, cough.... What he said^^^^  ;D

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/adventure-forum/zukiworld-colorado-adventure-sign-up-today!/

I'm planning on turning this into a two week adventure. Taking my time on the way out seeing whatever sites I can find and camping if I find some cool places to camp on the 1250 mile trip out. Then heading south when I leave to see a friend in Albuquerque then roaming aimlessly home to TN.

That is going to be my 2012 cross country adventure  8)

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline Capt

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 03:09:13 PM »
I like the Idea's SO FAR !!!!

Got the Gears Rolling ?!!!! The Back roads Map Idea....The Jump in where you can Idea.....

I too have done the Heads/Tails trail choices trips,
Had a Great Time while on the Ruby Pipeline Job with all the BLM land. Did some great Exploring.
You find some of the Greatest Things in the most remote Places !!

Offline bentparts

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 03:45:06 PM »
Traveling the back roads is the only way to see anything, anywhere. I like Jonny Rash's comparison of his Sammy to an all terrian bike. That's about what they are. I always joke to my friends my Tracker is really just a BIG atv with ac and a kickin sound system.  Ex army guy here too. Maybe it's the training.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 05:31:29 AM »
There are some great ideas here, lets keep 'em going!

Offline Capt

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »
Ok here is a 2 bit Idea;
          Lets try a little trial run, something simple and short.
May 19th is "Drive With Your Top Off Day". We make it a mini fund raiser for "Save the Ta Ta's"!
 (I posted this on here before how my friends & I have done it)
   Now round up your friends, Make it a WEEKEND ADVENTURE with a "Layover Point" and travel back on Sunday, As we all know the Best Spots to "GO TO" in our own BACK YARDS,
Have a route, Maybe NOT..."Travel with the Wind to Backs Laddy's", and have fun with it.
Or if we get enough responses here, some groups could meet half way at the "Layover Point".

SO; This way we can have a NATION WIDE ADVENTURE, by everyone's small part, and be affordable with $5.00/gal GAS !!
We all can post up of our travels, have Zig or someone piece them together, to get the Coast to Coast "Picture".

KRAZY KOOL?!! Hey ???

CAPT

Offline bentparts

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 05:42:39 AM »
What if you drive a Tintop?