Offline ASI H8

May7th - Spring CRAWLFEST 2011, Kansas Rocks Rec Park
« on: May 02, 2011, 01:24:55 PM »

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: May7th - Spring CRAWLFEST 2011, Kansas Rocks Rec Park
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:26:26 PM »
Thanks for posting up.. Please come back and post up some pictures once the event is done so we can see how it turned out.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline ASI H8

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 12:23:48 PM »

Offline ASI H8

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:18:36 AM »
Here is a write up that Skyhiranger did on: May 07, 2011, 10:30:07 PM over the event.  I didn't take a camera with me but his wife did some video of the event.  I'll try to get them posted when I get a copy.

~~~~
There were 14 rigs entered in the stock class.  Here are how the 5 samurais that entered did.....

1st...Me with -6 points, with the help of an excellent spotter (once again).....Lift-Dr.
2nd (tied)...Smuz with -4 points, (Lift-Dr spotted for him as well).
5th...Manning with 8 points, (ASI H8 spotted for him...and I think Lift-Dr spotted one course for him).
9th...Lift-Dr with 17 points, (I spotted for him).
11th...ASI H8 with 88 points, (Manning spotted for him).

Most of the other rigs entered in the comp were some sort of jeep vehicle, I think.

I was really surprised that the overall scoring was as low as it was.  The courses were definitely more challenging this time.  Even though they were challenging, they were still fun.  Inphobic did an excellent job of laying out the courses.

Once again, the trophies that they gave out for the 1st place finishers were really cool.

I had an interesting experience on the last course I ran for the day (unfortunately, it was on the backside of the hill and down in a trench, so my wife didn't get it on video and I don't think anyone else there was taking video or pics at the time). 
I dropped down into the start of the course, which was a wide (well, kinda wide...for smaller vehicles) trench filled with various sized rocks.  Once I dropped in, I needed to turn hard right, to go down the bottom of the trench, while avoiding big rocks on the right and left sides.  I was cranking the steering as hard as I could to the right, trying to squeeze in between the 2 big rocks, but the left front was running up on the big rock on the left side.  I didn't want to back up, so I just kept going, thinking I could drive/ease over it without much issue.  I was easing forward, and the tire was about to the top of the rock, when I felt the samurai tip a little more sideways and the tire come up off the rock.  So I instinctively (sure, that's what I'll say) blipped (or maybe I hammered it...don't really recall) the throttle and the tire came down on the other side of the rock and one of the judges said, "nice save".  I thought to myself, "holy shit, did I about flop it"?.  Afterwards, I asked around and sure enough, both left side tires were in the air, and they said if I wouldn't have hit the throttle, it probably would have went over.

ASI H8 had his really nice samurai with a 16V, 30" tires and NO lockers.  I, for one, was really impressed on how well he did on the courses.  With them being harder than the other times, you really had to rely on the driver and spotter, with a open diff'd rig and just 30" tires. 
He did end up timing out on one course, which cost him about 40 points, I think.  Still, pretty impressive overall, with the samurai setup like it was.
I think he will be looking for power steering and a rear locker in the future though.
~~~~

It was my first time at an event like this.  KRRP said, "CRAWLFEST is a NOVICE rock crawling event,.." "Courses will be designed to challenge Novice drivers,"  Challenge!!!  More like a kick in the seat.  I had a F"N BLAST!!  LOVED IT!!  After looking at the courses I thought, "there is no way in hell I'll get my tinker can through that."  The courses (the two I ran) were a bitch, all things considered.  Had they been anything but challenging I wouldn't want to do it again.  The event was well organized, with out injuries and a blast.  I think my rig was on the smallest tires, shortest lift, minimal gear reduction and open diffs. 

I think KRRP is having their fall event 20 Aug.  You should come out.  It is a great time.

Offline KcZuks

• '76GS / '96 Kick / '92 Sami #11 / '97 TJ / '88 YJ
    • Personal FB
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:08:08 PM »
This is a fairly new event for www.KsRockspark.com

I am an ongoing sponsor and have been attending events since day 1, Aug 2nd 2001. My Company, DonaldsonsJewelers.com has donated raffle items for events and I have become good friends with Dave Killion the founder of KC4WDA and the man behind the parks founding. If you ever get the chance to wheel there, take a look behind the registration counter and youll see two plaques with all the names of People and Corporations who donated to make the land purchase possible. ( my engraving handiwork, thank you ;) / This park has a special place in my heart and if you ever want the skinny, feel free to ask, as Ive got the Downlow on camping and local attractions at Ft. Scott.

Also, Frostbite... held in February of each year is the biggest event in the area and draws upwards of 200 vehicles each year. another great time to come visit.

heres a few pics of the course that ASH mentioned

and Frostbite

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.53539884693.61106.768614693

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.53537399693.61105.768614693

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.53527574693.61099.768614693

Heres some pics.

I need to transfer pics of the Rock course, but here are a few from a couple years back.

And your right ASH, it seems shyjiranger has taken a liking to the park as it is set up for mildly built vehicles and is VERY family oriented.The Jeep club I belong to, The Brushbeaters helped build and maintains that obstacle course.

heres a link to the park.

http://www.ksrockspark.com

There is also Fishing, hiking and a AWESOME bike course through the park. And KsRocks holds at least 5 major events each year.

AS I H8 > Please post some pics, I asked Jake (inphobic) and he didnt see any with you guys in them. And yeah Jake, does a great job after competing in RRock for 3 years.  

Rock crawling competition at Kansas Rocks

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:27:22 PM by KcZuks »
>  The Suzuki Club of Kansas City <

KC Zuks! The Original, Non Pussy Wheelers!

Not scared to take it over the curb !

http://tinyurl.com/3s32h4y

Offline ASI H8

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:03:49 PM »
I think inphobic posted some pictures and Skyhiranger posted some videos from the spring crawlfest on Zuks of KC.  I'll ask them to also post here, if they haven't already.