96' Geo Tracker 4dr Build - The Eggplant

• 23 Replies

Offline Gypsy Danger

• Got Zuk?
Re: 96' Geo Tracker 4dr Build - The Eggplant
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 04:12:40 PM »
Got the rear lift installed!   The kit I bought was from LROR and the rear portion included the upper control arm spacer, two old man emu coils (2955), two 1" spacers and two ProComp ES3000 shocks.  Directions from their website are very straight forward and easy to follow.  First step was to remove the old springs, shocks and disconnect the upper bracket.  The upper bracket bolts and springs came out really easy.  The shocks on the other hand were pretty rough.  I ended up having to cut both the top stud and bottom bolt of both shocks to get them out. Here is a pic of everything torn out.
1996 Geo Tracker 4dr 4x4
Front & Gas Tank skid plate, 235/75/R15's
LROR 2.5" Lift (OME Springs and 1" pucks)

Offline Gypsy Danger

• Got Zuk?
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 04:24:35 PM »
Next I popped the old upper spring pucks out and replaced them with the spacers from the kit.  Before I got them in I took the time to clean up some of the rustier spots and give them a coat of "stop-rust".  After the spacers were installed I popped the rear springs in one at a time.  Didn't have a spring compressor (would have made it easier), but got them in all the same.   Shocks on each side were last. LROR recommends you grind a little bit of material off of the top of the lower shock mount for clearance at full droop.  I went ahead and did this with my angle grinder before installing the shocks and gave each a coat of black spray paint to seal everything up.   Shocks  went in very easily with the clearanced bracket (first photo below is of clearance bracket with shock installed).  I installed the bottoms with some bolts I bought at Lowes.  Everything looked pretty spiffy when it was buttoned up.
1996 Geo Tracker 4dr 4x4

Offline Gypsy Danger

• Got Zuk?
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 04:26:55 PM »
After the rear lift was installed I decided to take it down to my local Firestone to get it aligned.  I got lifetime alignment on the Eggplant so no charge at all!   :D  Here is what she looks like currently!
1996 Geo Tracker 4dr 4x4

Offline ebewley

• ZW Administrator
  • Enthusiast Contributor
  • ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2016, 02:18:48 PM »
Looking great! in that last picture is the front and rear complete as far as a lift? Love the custom plate, btw...

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Gypsy Danger

• Got Zuk?
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2016, 05:41:05 AM »
Thanks!  Nope, just the rear.  I'll be tackling the front next though.  Hopefully very soon!  :)
1996 Geo Tracker 4dr 4x4

Offline Gypsy Danger

• Got Zuk?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »
Sorry for the hiatus everyone!  Life has been crazy since my last post.  My wife and I had our first child, a big baby boy so we've been pretty busy with that.  I have found time to do a couple of things on the Eggplant though.  Took a little elbow grease, but got the front lift installed.  I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance.  Also, took a while, but I got a CB radio installed as well.  A lot of back and forth on antenna location, but in the end got a good SWR number so should be good to go.  Again, I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance and a more in-depth step by step of the install.
1996 Geo Tracker 4dr 4x4

Online JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 05:20:39 PM »
Congrats on the baby!  Life has a tendency of happening that way. Have you checked for clearance with your rear tires since the lift?  I have just a 2” spacer lift on my 4 dr, and still get contact from 235 tires when the suspension is stuffed.

Offline Gypsy Danger

• Got Zuk?
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 08:47:36 AM »
Yep.  No rubbing on the rear.  I rolled the rear fender lip which is where I used to get contact and now they clear by probably a quarter of an inch on that side and no rub on the frame side either.
1996 Geo Tracker 4dr 4x4

Online olija

• Enthusiast Contributor
    • Check out my cardomain
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 09:24:40 PM »
Congrats on the boy! Your Eggplant brings back memories of my purple Land Cruiser wagon I had when my wife and I just got married. The guys at work thought I was insane for bringing that rustbucket back from the dead but managed to restore "Barney the Purple Dragon" to a reusable state. Now we have a Suzuki again, not purple though, and the fun never ends! I'm a fan of your enthusiasm, when most young people are driving CUV's on payments because they don't dare change their own oil, you put alot of people to shame by not only wrenching on your own rig, but using it responsibly enough to still be able to manage a family too! Cheers man and rock on!
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 3" AE lift, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 235/80R17 BFG AT KO's