I have the valve cover off already to do a Hawk torquer cam install, so I figured why not clean it up a little. It had a nasty thick layer of alumina oxide on the exterior along with oil gunk deposits from a leaky dizzy "O"ring. So after a little carb cleaner to get the gunk off, I screwed the VC down to a wooden stool thru a sheet of EPP foam with drywall screws, I had cut semi circular pieces that were oversized to fit into the cam openings as well as in the PCV port and oil filler neck, this seals it completely. Sandblasted with 60 grit sand and then let it sit in the sun for a bit and sprayed several coats of Dupli-Color ceramic engine paint and let it bake under the mid-day sun, who needs a curing oven, LOL
Sorry I didnt snag a before picture, but you can imagine a northern rust belt truck...LOL...Looks pretty good to me now!
I decided to blast and paint the dip stick tube as well, and also cleaned and polished the "16valve" on the VC. The pitting and corrosion was fairly deep on the exterior, I had to use such heavy grit to feather those areas so that it is a generally rough texture all over.