Hello Guest

1.6 & automatic transmission swap to samurai?

• 20 Replies

Offline Zuki One

• ZUKI - PICS
1.6 & automatic transmission swap to samurai?
« on: November 24, 2003, 07:47:03 AM »
 :-/I have been pondering the idea of instead of just doing the engine swap in my samurai to just putn the automatic trans and motor in their i already have the wiring harness out of the tracker and it saves me the hassle of sendin my harness to brent(trail tough) and gettin the adapter kit and speed sensor done i was wonderin if any bodys done this or if  it is possible or if anbody has any good ideas on this subject it would be jus great ;Dp.s its a 91' tracker and transmission!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 07:50:29 AM by Bug_D »
"Sooo What shop built your rig?"hahahahhahahah    www.cardomain.com/memberpage/607888/1

Offline zooky

Re: 1.6 & automatic transmission swap to samur
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 10:08:52 AM »
I am in the middle of installing a sidekick automatic into my sami. I had the T-case modified into a Kicker3 (OTT) so its not exactly what you want to do. You can get it in there without a body lift or cutting, if you dont mind an ugly transmission tunnel. I personally wouldnt go with the tracker case, it uses slip yokes (but could be converted to flanges), and you will have a steep rear driveline that might come close to to the floor and crossmembers. Also, the only (high range) reduction would be in the axle gearing. 5.12 gears will only correct for 30-31" tires. Also, the low range gearsets are kinda pricy. I think an automatic will be sweet in a sami though, the 3-speed is a pretty good transmission for its size and is somewhat easy and cheap to overhaul (as far as automatics go) yourself.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 10:18:33 AM »
:-/I have been pondering the idea of instead of just doing the engine swap in my samurai to just putn the automatic trans and motor in their i already have the wiring harness out of the tracker and it saves me the hassle of sendin my harness to brent(trail tough) and gettin the adapter kit and speed sensor done i was wonderin if any bodys done this or if  it is possible or if anbody has any good ideas on this subject it would be jus great ;Dp.s its a 91' tracker and transmission!

Hawk did an automatic Samurai quite a few years ago. They used a 1.6 engine and a 2WD auto tranny, small jack shaft, Samurai t-case. At that time, I believe they needed to use a body lift. I'm not sure if that is the case now...

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Zuki One

• ZUKI - PICS
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 04:43:14 PM »
This is my first engine swap so i figured i'd jump right in so just so you all know iwill be picking each and everyone of your brains until my baby is back on the trail i hope that wont be to irratating(?) so bare with me and my prob sumtimes small like questions?so if any body has any info or links let me know thanx! ;DConstruction date is planned as of the first of the year so any info will be stored and planned upon for that date ;D
"Sooo What shop built your rig?"hahahahhahahah    www.cardomain.com/memberpage/607888/1

Offline NY_SIDEKICKER

• YOU WANNA RACE THE ZUKE !
    • OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR !
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 11:11:33 AM »
THATS THE SMART THING TO DO...FIGURE WHAT YOU WANT ...ASK QUESTIONS,  SEE IF  ITS STILL WHAT YOU WANT TO DO,........THEN MAKE PLANS TO MODIFY AWAY UNTIL YOUR HEARTS CONTENT OR GO BROKE  ;D   HAPPY ZUKING! MATTY D.  8)

Offline Zuki One

• ZUKI - PICS
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2003, 04:53:18 PM »
It was mentioned a body lift ?how much of a lift would be required?and how about the radiator i have a 88.5 samurai my understanding is this has a larger capacity  then the earlier years should i leav it?and how about a power steering upgrade what is the cheapest and easiest out there for the 1.6 anyone heard of the toyota power steering swap to zuki?is it cheaper? thanx :-/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 04:54:56 PM by Bug_D »

Offline zooky

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2003, 10:30:09 PM »
You can get it in there without a body lift or cutting, if you dont mind an ugly transmission tunnel. The sami radiator works fine, they all have the same capacity. The Tracker P/S is easy (especally if it comes with the donor) and works good, dont let anyone tell you different

Offline Zuki One

• ZUKI - PICS
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2003, 04:34:02 AM »
Explain the Ugly transmission tunnel?and no idid not get any p/s with the donor! :-/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 04:34:46 AM by Bug_D »

Offline zooky

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2003, 04:49:04 AM »
I widened the tunnel with the stock scissor jack. I just put it where it needed to be widened and cranked away. I over did it in some places, if I took my time it would have come out better. It dosent look that bad though, I dont think anyone even noticed

Offline Zuki One

• ZUKI - PICS
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2003, 10:10:11 AM »
can i get some pics or do you have any iam wracking my brain tryin to figure out everything required for the swap ad any other body mods needed anything at all thanx :-/

Offline zooky

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2003, 10:13:01 AM »
I'll try to get some

Offline Zuki One

• ZUKI - PICS
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2003, 01:19:33 PM »
It would be much appreciated thanx 4 all the help! ;D

Offline Bill_Byrd

• I'm normal...the rest of the world is insane
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2003, 08:43:21 AM »
Contact Sean at Aftermarket4X4.com. He's done a few auto conversions and can tell you all about it. PLus sell you the parts you need to do it.

Offline Zuki One

• ZUKI - PICS
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2003, 04:54:04 PM »
 ;D i sure am glad that you guys have info on the subjects iam interested in! and i have mailed them so hopefully they will get back to me thannnx b-byrd anyone else? ???

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2003, 05:15:41 PM »
you still have to do a lot of cutting and splicing of the harness and pull the speed sensor out of the trcker and put it in your samurai speedo, the light sockets are all diffrent and changing out the whole harness would be a pita. what trans do you have? 2wd or 4wd? if you use 4wd r u going to put a tracker axel in the rear? and zooky how much was the ott x-fer case conversion??? they never e-mailed me back! hows it work? sorry for the highjack.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.