Hello Guest

NEW FRONT STRUTS TRACKER/SIDEKICK

• 121 Replies

Offline kreator

Re: NEW FRONT STRUTS TRACKER/SIDEKICK
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2012, 09:25:41 AM »
Can't wait to see pic.. And wondering if u ever put a video together of ur set up to the test yet?
Ya I had my go pro mounted and got it knocked off and drove over it, just got a new go pro for the next wheeling trip.
BOB | www.KreationFab.com | 503-689-1377

Offline kreator

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2012, 09:29:30 AM »
sorry meant old man emu struts

Yes I have built the jig to keep the spring in the correct place on the bottom and still moves it out and forward. Are you 3" lift or 4 1/2" ?

Offline kreator

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2012, 09:40:15 AM »
Would love to see some pics of the full setup, front and back!  ;D
I will have full pics of 2 builds soon ,I am doing 1 with 3" lift and fox strut and FOA springs front and rear and  4 1/2 with the complete kit and  video with pics.

Offline serv

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »
I will wait for your pics bro. 

Offline kreator

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2012, 03:36:09 PM »
Here is some pics of my 3" strut kit and my 4 1/2" complete lift kits . Pics to be posted tomorrow of kit installations
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:30:46 PM by kreator »

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2012, 05:36:40 PM »
Stuff looks great.  ;D
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline TrakJD

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2012, 12:24:22 PM »
Another think to keep in mind is the strut tower will need to be braced very well. It wasnt designed to support the weight of the vehicle.

Mike,

I see what you mean, but I looked at Trail Tough's slayer kit for trackicks, apparently brent is using the Strut tower as the main position to bolt the shocks to.  I know its a different suspension set up, but would it almost be similar?  I know that if Brent feels that its not safe, he would not go this route.  And I have not heard of a single strut tower collasping using Trail Slayer's kit. 

Offline ROPADOPA

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2012, 07:50:51 PM »
Here is some pics of my 3" strut kit and my 4 1/2" complete lift kits . Pics to be posted tomorrow of kit installations

awesome cant weight for pricing?
89 Tracker with a spacer here and a spacer there

Offline kreator

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »
Here is a few updated pics from the build this weekend
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:40:02 PM by kreator »

Offline kreator

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »
Here are the high lites of phase II build

Offline TrakJD

« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2012, 11:34:45 AM »
Nice work!  Im interested in the front kit.

Offline heiney.5

« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2012, 11:40:14 AM »
And I have not heard of a single strut tower collasping using Trail Slayer's kit. 

Shocks and struts are different, and "coil-overs" are even more different. If you look at the trail slayer kit it does not mount a "coil" on the original strut tower, it actually uses the original coil location. The strut tower wasnt originally designed to hold the weight of the vehicle which a coilover will put on it.

A strut brace will help the "horizontal" shifting of the strut towers, but it will not provide additional "strength" to it. If anyone wheels their trackicks hard you will often see the Camber issues that develop from these strut towers bending inward. I have seen it on many....I have added strut braces which slow it down and help, but ultimately these things were not built for hardcore offroading. (hasnt stopped me ;))

From the pictures, I would be very leery to run coil-overs on the original strut towers. Actually I personally would not do so, or let any friends/family, with out further trussing or plating for strength.

I commend kreator for creating and working on this lift kit....we definitely need more vendor support for these rigs.....Hopefully the work continues and adjustments/refinements are made.
Difficult takes a day. Impossible takes a week.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2012, 02:54:33 PM »
While it is a different kit, the Calimini straight axle conversion uses the strut towers to hold a coil over as well.  They also include a strut brace across the engine compartment but then add an internal brace similar to what we did on Project Trouble and the White Rabbit.  Any thoughts of building a brace that slips inside the strut tower?

What did you end up doing for the movement of the lower ball joint on the a-arm?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Shadow

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2012, 02:58:06 PM »
I want some lower arms for my Grand Vitara that will move the axle forward, any plans?

Offline kreator

« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2012, 04:14:02 PM »
And I have not heard of a single strut tower collasping using Trail Slayer's kit. 

Shocks and struts are different, and "coil-overs" are even more different. If you look at the trail slayer kit it does not mount a "coil" on the original strut tower, it actually uses the original coil location. The strut tower wasnt originally designed to hold the weight of the vehicle which a coilover will put on it.

A strut brace will help the "horizontal" shifting of the strut towers, but it will not provide additional "strength" to it. If anyone wheels their trackicks hard you will often see the Camber issues that develop from these strut towers bending inward. I have seen it on many....I have added strut braces which slow it down and help, but ultimately these things were not built for hardcore offroading. (hasnt stopped me ;))

From the pictures, I would be very leery to run coil-overs on the original strut towers. Actually I personally would not do so, or let any friends/family, with out further trussing or plating for strength.

I commend kreator for creating and working on this lift kit....we definitely need more vendor support for these rigs.....Hopefully the work continues and adjustments/refinements are made.

I have been wheeling this now for over 8 months and not found and flex in the towers . I like in put that helps me make my kit better , the thing that I have found the most is that the towers are differant height and that makes a big differance, and that the engine mounts are differant height between years and changes the cross brace.  I have coil shocked several rigs and not had any more strength in the fabbed towers than the ones in the track/kick. If towers are bending they must be bottoming out real hard. I here all the woes about the struts going bad and it is not the struts fault its the set up and its bottoming out or its topping out and blowing seals.