Hello Guest

PR: Calmini Solid Axle Swap System for Sidekick Now Available.

• 20 Replies

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
PR: Calmini Solid Axle Swap System for Sidekick Now Available.
« on: January 05, 2011, 06:41:02 AM »
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:20:34 AM by ebewley »
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
Re: PR: Calmini Solid Axle Swap System for Sidekick Now Available.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:52:23 AM »
Sweet.... Good to see some new Kick gear from Calmini.... I love their stuff.....

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline locjaw

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:56:48 AM »
they should have done it 2 years ago  ;) there are lots of people that might have went this way instead of the slayer way. for someone with a already built IFS rig this would be a no brainer.
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:14:27 AM »
This looks like a great kit but what about gearing?  33's or god knows someone find a way to fit 35s and no gears = no fun

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 03:08:59 PM »
they should have done it 2 years ago  ;) there are lots of people that might have went this way instead of the slayer way. for someone with a already built IFS rig this would be a no brainer.

except for the price, ouch!
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline CALMINI_Inc.

• The Leader in Suzuki Offroad
    • CALMINI Products, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:01:56 PM »
Considering the level of engineering and the ease at which everything installs it's a steal.  With a donor axle prepped, you could have the entire system installed, including the removal of the stock components, and driving it in a day.  No driveshaft modifications (running the stock Sidekick front), only requires a flange swap at the pinion on the donor axle.  With the cost of Toyota axles, custom driveshafts, slip-yokes, etc.; this is the most straight-forward system. Food for thought...

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
And with the 1.5 reduction box you take care of your gear ratio issue.  :D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline wiretap_MD

• Where the Road Ends...Life Begins!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 10:26:32 PM »
I'm interested in this. I presently have the 3-inch calmini-OME hybrid suspension with jeff spacers and using front and rear 5.63 gears from skyhiranger.

1.  Is the rear super articulation the same as my present rear suspension (rear suspension setup of 3-inch calmini suspension kit)

2.  Do I just need the front axle housing of a samurai? Will my 3rd member bolt in completely into the samurai housing?

3.  What front shocks will I need to use?

Thanks!

'01 Sidekick: OME-Calmini Hybrid Suspension, 1.5-inch spacers, Bilstein 5125 re shocks, 2-inch bodylift, 30x9.5 BFG, Safari Snorkel, ARB bumper, Custom rear bumpe

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 05:01:38 AM »
Considering the level of engineering and the ease at which everything installs it's a steal.  With a donor axle prepped, you could have the entire system installed, including the removal of the stock components, and driving it in a day.  No driveshaft modifications (running the stock Sidekick front), only requires a flange swap at the pinion on the donor axle.  With the cost of Toyota axles, custom driveshafts, slip-yokes, etc.; this is the most straight-forward system. Food for thought...

Oh, not disagreeing it's definitely worth the coin, just for ME it's a bit of an investment. Although, now I'm hoping there will be some used Calmini front suspension parts available for us guys who like our IFS. ;)
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 06:03:53 AM »
only requires a flange swap at the pinion on the donor axle.

Unless you get a late model Sammy axle with the 14mm large pattern, then it bolts in.

While one could bolt the Kick pig directly into the Sammy housing, its soda can construction isnt favorable.  Rather, swap the Kick gears onto the Sammy 4-pin carrier and into the stronger Sammy steel pig.

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 06:10:52 AM »
This looks like a great kit but what about gearing?  33's or god knows someone find a way to fit 35s and no gears = no fun

Hey George.  In theory, if you started with an 3spd auto Kicker turning factory 4.62's and 10-bolt rear, you could step up to factory 5.62's and that would go a long way to regear. I mean, in theory.

Offline locjaw

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 07:23:29 AM »

Oh, not disagreeing it's definitely worth the coin, just for ME it's a bit of an investment. Although, now I'm hoping there will be some used Calmini front suspension parts available for us guys who like our IFS. ;)
and in all reality, the modifications that have been brought to the table over the last 5 years for the ifs, with steel centers and yota shafts, you can build ifs wayyy stronger than a sammy axle.
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline CALMINI_Inc.

• The Leader in Suzuki Offroad
    • CALMINI Products, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 08:08:59 AM »
I'm interested in this. I presently have the 3-inch calmini-OME hybrid suspension with jeff spacers and using front and rear 5.63 gears from skyhiranger.

1.  Is the rear super articulation the same as my present rear suspension (rear suspension setup of 3-inch calmini suspension kit)

2.  Do I just need the front axle housing of a samurai? Will my 3rd member bolt in completely into the samurai housing?

3.  What front shocks will I need to use?

Thanks!

Yes, the rear consists of the components in our SK19900 systems.  If the system is already installed, the rear would remain unchanged.
You will need the axle (hub-hub) and can be set up with the Samurai or Kick center.  Ours is using the Samurai with the Kick flange to meet up with the stock front shaft.
We will be offering a Sway-A-Way coil-over tuned for the Sidekick/Tracker.  Otherwise, you would need an 8" travel coil-over shock with a recommended #250 spring.

Offline Jluck

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 08:34:20 AM »
hey there calmini, any plans of similar kit but with a toyota front?
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Offline Bobzooki

• Web Wheeler
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 09:09:54 AM »
Geez.  OK, how about setting this up with Spider9 Axles?  Now that would ROCK.
Bob

Tahoe 24' Fish-N-Fun Tritoon
115 HP Mercury outboard