Hello Guest

Tire size?

• 8 Replies

Tire size?
« on: July 26, 2012, 01:47:39 PM »
What would you guys suggest for tire size?  I have 31" BFG mud terrains right now.  When I purchased the vehicle I was told it has a 8"lift.  The Sammi has Yota axles.  My next tires will be TSL super swampers, but would 35" tires be to large?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Tire size?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »
What are you running for an engine?  Are there places you are trying to go that the tire size is just to small or do you just want it to look cooler?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline tuxblacray

• Building a Bigger Better Brute Samurai.... B-}
    • Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 02:47:55 AM »

Drone is correct in his inquiry about what you want to do with the vehicle. Likewise axles alone might not be enuff for your vehicle depending on your tire choice.

I have and like 34 TSL's. Alot of folks run 33's. It doesn't appear that clearance / suspension will be an issue for you. But most folks won't jump out and say 35's will be fine without knowing what motor, gearing, transfercase, you are running. Your driving / wheeling style is an important factor too.
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

Offline doughboy0379

• Blinker fluid is free so use it........
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 03:30:52 AM »
I could be wrong but from the picture it looks like there is not a lot of room at the rear of the rear tires right now and 35's would be even tighter there. I also agree with Drone and Tux, you need to take into account the gearing, the engine size,  suspension flex, and what you want or need to do with them.

I run 31's and would like to go up to 33's but I have never found a place I could not go with the 31's yet, I use it as a daily driver and weekend warrior so nothing like a comp or anything like that.
86 Samurai, SPOA, 3" HD leaf springs, 31/10.5/15 Big-O XT Tires, K&N Air Filter, Doug Thorey Header, more coming when I find the funds :)

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 09:40:45 AM »
The sammi is a complete toyota swap.  It has a 22r, LCE header, Weber 32/36 carb, 8" lift (so the guy says that I bought it from, seems a little lower than that too me, but I guess these sat pretty low stock), Yota tranny diff and transfer case, YJ springs with  (Shackles have been modified).  Not sure about the gears yet and what kind of lockers it has.  I have got it up to 70mph on flat ground, and that takes forever in a alomost pointless 5th gear.  I have not ran it yet with the header since I just put it on, but it may have a little more zip then.  On the trails it seems to have plenty of power and I have been able to go everywhere that I have tried with ease, but there are a few trails near me that you must have at least 35's.  There are also some hills that I haven't got the balls to go up yet, without a exo-cage.  That will be next.  I agree about the rear clearance, I am thinking about cutting the fenders out though.  I actually like the look of it now better than it would with 35's, (some of these rigs look like RC cars with such big tires) but I am about functionality.  35's wouldn't be bad if I cut the fenders out and changed the suspension to coilovers I suppose.  What are your guys opinions?

Offline tuxblacray

• Building a Bigger Better Brute Samurai.... B-}
    • Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:39:07 AM »
To me your rear axle looks to be back rather than centered. I think that may have been what Doughboy was talking about clearance.

With a 22r and yota axles I would think that you would have more power than what you are seeing. For some reason I was thinking alot of the Yota axles had 4:11 in them but that might not be the case.

Personally I like bigger tires plus places around here are pretty muddy / sloppy. I don't do much hill climbing and like my Sammi's body to well to drag it through the rocks... Just not my thing.

I run 34's but in a narrow width (9.5) TSL's and aluminum rims to keep it light and not as much stress on the axles. I have a 1.6 8V but changed the 3rds to 5:12 /5:13 and the transfer case to 6:4:1 so that it can move about without much effort.

I rolled under the excess fender material and put on Bushwackers. I run a RUF SPUA to keep a low center of gravity.

Tires is a hot topic with alot of folks. I say if you want 35's put em on and see what you need to do to make them work for you. But if you wanna play safe you can go with 33's and maybe not hafta do quite as much extra work...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 04:12:52 AM by tuxblacray »
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

Offline doughboy0379

• Blinker fluid is free so use it........
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »
I am wondering about the power issue too, I have a stock 1.3 with a header, K+N filter, stock gears and 31's but I still get up to 70 on the freeways I will normally just cruise at about 65 though.
86 Samurai, SPOA, 3" HD leaf springs, 31/10.5/15 Big-O XT Tires, K&N Air Filter, Doug Thorey Header, more coming when I find the funds :)

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 12:54:19 PM »
I cruse at about 65mph as well.  It has seemed to have plenty of power crawling, but I have seen what they do in much heavier 4runners and trucks, and I thought this would have a ton of power.  But I also was having major alternator problems.  The person that did the swap was supposedly a ASE Certified Technician, but the wiring was a mess, and the alternator went out.  I didn't think this would be much of a problem, but after replacing the alternator I still couldn't get a charge.  A person from this forum told me they had the same issue, and to install a gm guage and re-wire and my problem should be solved.  So now we have we wired the rig and installed a LCE header, and Flowmaster exhaust (not sure which one I will use, maybe super 10 series).  There was never a huge problem with power, I just didn't know how it would handle much larger tires. I don't think power will be much of an issue now, hopefully!  However I don't want to large on tires, but I do want to be able to take on some of the more challenging trails.  I am leaning towards 33's or 35's.  It as a decent foot print, but I don't want the 35's to look ridiculous or more importantly not perform well.  I am also concerned with that back right corner, I don't know if 35's will fit during flex?  Maybe I should weight until I remove the YJ springs, cut the fenders out, and link the whole thing up.  What do you guys think?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 01:37:09 PM »
If your not running into issues and your planning a fender chop and link anyway I would wait on the tires.

That being said, my old SJ-410 looked really good when I borrowed my cousins 37's.  :)

96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing