Hello Guest

Transfer case swap, gears

• 32 Replies

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
Re: Transfer case swap, gears
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 07:03:07 AM »
The cover is the front part that bolts on and is attached to the transmission.
It's pretty flat, only about 1-1/2 inches thick.

Wild

Ahh, ok.  I'll have to compare some of my tcases around here.
Thanks.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 01:12:57 AM »
Be aware that a 96 tcase has a different spline output shaft.  So you will either have to swap in an earlier output shaft or use a slip yoke off a 96 or newer driveshaft on your driveshaft (or just use a complete driveshaft from a 96 or newer....just be sure they are the same length, since there are several different lengths of driveshafts for trackicks).

Does anyone know the cutoff year for the different spline count?  And what year has the fine spline output shaft?  Because Trail Tough makes a SYE for the fine spline case only:
http://www.trailtough.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=221&category_id=46&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53
And I'm planning on running my stock shafts and not want to change output shafts, looking for the right case, ready-to-go. 
Is 91-95 the right spline count to work with my 90?  Or what year did they start the different splines?
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 01:47:19 AM »
A SYE will require changing the end on the drive shaft to a flange

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 05:07:33 AM »
89-95 tcases have a fine spline (26) output.
96s and up have the coarse spline (16) output.
I have heard of some 95s having the coarse spline output shaft.  But I don't know if that is just because people thought they had a 95, when it was really a 96, or if 95s could have had either.

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 10:18:07 AM »
89-95 tcases have a fine spline (26) output.
96s and up have the coarse spline (16) output.
I have heard of some 95s having the coarse spline output shaft.  But I don't know if that is just because people thought they had a 95, when it was really a 96, or if 95s could have had either.
Thanks!
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 05:25:16 PM »
The difference is not in the case housing it's self, but the cover, the later cover is a little longer on the gear side. you could just change the cover and install the gears, but what's the point, you still need the newer case for the cover.

I had a friend of mine cut my case with a fly cutter on his mill, came out real clean, and the gears
have about 1/16 of an inch clearance from the case.

Wild

I just measured a 90 tcase and a 94 tcase and the covers are the same thickness, the casting dimensions are the same on the outside (I didn't pull the cover off, and I'm not going to, to check internally).  Everything that I could measure externally was the same.  So I am not sure where the difference lies, unless you are talking thousandths of an inch differences somewhere.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 07:39:17 PM »
It's the inside
 ;)
Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 08:26:45 PM »
It's the inside
 ;)
Wild

Hmmm, that's odd.  With the cover thickness dimensions and outside depths in the casting being the same, I would think the inside would be the same too.  I guess they must use thinner gears and/or other parts to compensate for the difference.

Offline Bobzooki

• Web Wheeler
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 09:20:05 AM »
I did my own in my 95.  It took me about a half-hour with a file, to clearance the case.  It's just not that hard.  I stressed about it for days, but when I had the tcase out, the whole process was done in an hour.

And...SOUND?  I don't know what you expect when you're at 90:1 gearing, but I wouldn't say the tcase makes much sound.

Oh - I have the Calmini unit.  Going up and down Lion's Back, at moab, I had it in second gear.
Bob

Tahoe 24' Fish-N-Fun Tritoon
115 HP Mercury outboard

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 01:16:59 AM »
How about the OTT Kicker setups?  The Kicker 1 says it adapts a Samurai case to work in the Samurai with a Sidekick engine and trans swap.  So could this theory be used to adapt a Samurai case into a Tracker?
And the Kicker 3: does this adapt a samurai case to run behind a Track/kick case?  What about the rear driveshaft length?  I'm running a 2dr.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 07:52:37 AM »
How about the OTT Kicker setups?  The Kicker 1 says it adapts a Samurai case to work in the Samurai with a Sidekick engine and trans swap.  So could this theory be used to adapt a Samurai case into a Tracker?
And the Kicker 3: does this adapt a samurai case to run behind a Track/kick case?  What about the rear driveshaft length?  I'm running a 2dr.

I would say a kicker 3 would be your best bet, between the two.  Since the kicker 1 is made to run the samurai tcase in divorced mode....which will make the drivetrain that much longer (something you can't really afford, in a 2 door trackick).

The kicker 3 shortens up the overall length of the trackick tcase and couples the samurai tcase directly onto the back of the trackick tcase.  It is still going to be longer than the original trackick tcase by itself setup, but not as long as a kicker 1 setup.  You are still going to have the issue of a shorter rear driveshaft, and I am not sure how much you can shorten the 2 door trackick rear driveshaft, before it becomes a problem with ujoint angles and such.

One other thing that guys do, that don't need the extra gear reduction in low (which is provided by keeping the trackick tcase), is to run a 2wd trackick tranny with a divorced samurai tcase.  I am not real familiar with that setup in a trackick, so I am not sure how that affects rear driveshaft length.  There is also the option of just removing the trackick tcase from the trackick tranny and running the samurai tcase with an intermediate shaft (that makes the overall drivetrain shorter than running the 2wd tranny with a samurai tcase).  Again, I am not real familiar with that setup either, so someone else will have to give you more info on that.

One other thing to keep in mind, is that a samurai tcase has an offset rear output, so you are going to have complex ujoint angles on your rear driveshaft.  Many people run that type of setup in a samurai (when they run a trackick rear axle) without issues....but just something else to think about.  So that being said, the longer your rear driveshaft can be, the better.

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 11:49:32 AM »
Geez, you're like a dictionary of knowledge, ain't you!
Basically, I wouldn't need TWO cases providing low range...primarily because I have a 2dr and that rear driveshaft needs to be as long as possible otherwise it's too short (it's already a short shaft).  I think it'd be good to either run my Tracker case with 4.24 OR, if possible, eliminate my case and install a Samurai case, and install a gear set in that case.  Because in a Samurai case, the reduction also affects the high range, too, right?  That would almost be like me gearing my low to 4.24 and changing my diffs to 5.38 or 5.62 if I installed a Samurai case with just the 6.5:1.  Except, I wouldn't have to mess with my diffs that way.

One other thing that guys do, that don't need the extra gear reduction in low (which is provided by keeping the trackick tcase), is to run a 2wd trackick tranny with a divorced samurai tcase. 
I'm confused...what do you mean here?  That they run a 2wd Tracker transmission, with the Samurai case?

There is also the option of just removing the trackick tcase from the trackick tranny and running the samurai tcase with an intermediate shaft (that makes the overall drivetrain shorter than running the 2wd tranny with a samurai tcase). 
I was under the impression that this is what a Kicker 1 does...reading the site, it says it is meant to mount a Samurai case to a Track/kick engine and trans...so is this what it does?
How does this setup run shorter than using a 2wd trans with the Samurai case?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 02:23:59 PM »
One other thing that guys do, that don't need the extra gear reduction in low (which is provided by keeping the trackick tcase), is to run a 2wd trackick tranny with a divorced samurai tcase. 
I'm confused...what do you mean here?  That they run a 2wd Tracker transmission, with the Samurai case?

There is also the option of just removing the trackick tcase from the trackick tranny and running the samurai tcase with an intermediate shaft (that makes the overall drivetrain shorter than running the 2wd tranny with a samurai tcase). 
I was under the impression that this is what a Kicker 1 does...reading the site, it says it is meant to mount a Samurai case to a Track/kick engine and trans...so is this what it does?
How does this setup run shorter than using a 2wd trans with the Samurai case?

The Tracker 2wd transmission has the same output as the Samurai transmission, so you can use the stock jack shaft to go straight into a Samurai Transfer Case.

The Kicker 1 allows you to run a divorced Samurai behind a 4wd Tracker transmission.  No idea about the difference in length between the two however. 

I prefer the Kicker 3 style setup so you get the 2:1 low along with whatever low range is in your transfer case.  I am kind of biased though, as I currently have 6.5:1 along with 5.12 in the axles.  I spend most of my trail time in 3rd gear low range, a 2:1 would be just perfect for general trail running then switching to the 6.5 for the rocks.  Then 13:1 for when I am feeling cheeky.  :D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 02:04:35 AM »
So let's make sure I understand: the Kicker 1 and Kicker 3 both adapt a Samurai case behind A Tracker/Sidekick transfer case.  The Kicker1 leaves the Samurai as a divorced case, but the Kicker 3 makes the Samurai case mated?
I'm confused about using a 2wd trans...using a 2wd trans in front of a Samurai case will allow the Samurai intermediate shaft to work right away, but will be longer than using a 4x4 trans and Samurai case?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 01:21:08 PM »
Can't help you on the length, but you are correct about the Kicker 1 and Kicker 3.  One nice thing about Kicker 3 is it is not any longer then a stock Samurai drive train.  It is wider though and requires some modification.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing