Hello Guest

rear disk brakes

• 75 Replies

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
Re: rear disk brakes
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2004, 06:02:05 AM »
just a side note,my buddies run rear disk brakes on there samurai's, when they turn the drivers side rotor hits the bracket holding the caliper, we changed out the old bearing while doing so we noticed it did not feel bad,while in the 12 ton press the axel bowed like two inches or more so we got a small propane torch and heated the bearing just a little and off she came, installed the new one took it for a run and it did the same thing,out came the jack and we lifted the driver rear(long axel)and I grabbed hold of the 33" tire and flexed it real hard by hand and my buddie could see the rotor flex alot, maybe not as bad a problem on the kicks but just maybe the same axel material, so I would look at putting a smaller caliper on(wilwood spot caliper?) or grinding the pad down on the ends with a grinder but keeping the sharp edge so that when the axel flexes it won't be moving the pads back so much? even the residule valve a 2lb or 7 lb would not hold it nor would you want to, you could reposition your caliper mount to the type of driving that you do to minimize the flex say a 9 or 3 oclock or a 10 or 2 oclock or even a 12 oclock, you can bleed them off of the rotor by placing a steel plate between the pads, just my 2 cent's.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline rockrat

• Got Ringr
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2004, 09:09:36 AM »
Would a complete bolt on conversion in the $300. range suit the ticket.. Stay tuned

Offline mrfuelish

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2004, 10:02:47 AM »
What would be cool for sammie owners is a rear disk setup that could be used for yj springs and have the parking brake option on the calipers!
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2004, 12:37:44 PM »
Would a complete bolt on conversion in the $300. range suit the ticket.. Stay tuned

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sure, why not? ;D
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline rockrat

• Got Ringr
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2004, 02:41:39 PM »
What would be cool for sammie owners is a rear disk setup that could be used for yj springs and have the parking brake option on the calipers!

Caddy caliper and a kick parking break cable.. It doesnt matter what spring you use yj cj or stock zuk

Offline mrfuelish

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2004, 03:38:17 PM »
Trail tough sells one but said that the subaru calipers would hit the yj springs, or something like that? are the caddy's diffrent?

Offline safarikick

• nor-cal rhinos
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/safarikick
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2004, 04:38:06 PM »
http://www.rhinoman.org/

http://www.rhinoman.org/mods/rear_discs.html

Rear Disc Conversion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A common problem with a lot of offroaders is the fitment of rear drum brakes, in muddy and sandy terrain the ingress of gritty particles can wear the shoes down to the metal in just a couple of hours of driving. Not a good thing if you have to drive your vehicle to and from off road sites. As there was no conversion on the market that allowed the handbrake to be retained I had planned to make my own. However Jon Gilbert aka SuzukiJon had the same idea so I offered up my vehicle for design purposes.  
 The conversion whilst it might seem quite straightforward took two of us a good few days of work to get sorted and has since evolved a bit more. There are a few details that maybe not immediately obvious required a good deal of thought and prototyping. As this is the first commercially available kit I have agreed not to reveal those details (if you can convince me you aren't UK based I may let you know what they are if you mail me). The conversion uses Suzuki SJ discs and Ford Sierra calipers, the calipers have a built in handbrake mechanism.  
First stage was to strip off the old drums, pull the halfshafts and remove the backplates. The studs were knocked out of the backplates and the plates were then cut down to use as spacers to ensure that the wheel bearings were correctly clamped.    
 The caliper mounting brackets went through at least a dozen revisions before they were deemed satisfactory. They are constructed from 3 pieces of thick steel plate and had to be welded on a jig to ensure that the caliper would fit absolutely square to the disc to avoid uneven pad wear and chatter. Bolts are fitted through from the rear and the bracket is spaced just enough to clear the 'dish' on the bearing retainer. This design allows 4 mounting points to be utilised for strength.  
Disc mounting plate is a turned down drum. For a tidy conversion the correct type of Vitara drum must be sourced or more machining is required. Wheel studs were sourced by Jon, it is essential that these are of the correct dimensions or the disc will not locate properly.    
As can be seen in the first picture the disc is held in place by the wheel studs. Jon has a fairly simple method for modifying the handbrake cable to suit the Ford calipers. Thats pretty much it for mine so far. The second conversion has already been performed on Nick Ingram's Vitara, Nick has opted to add a proportioning valve to the braking system and reports a much improved feel to the brake pedal so I'll add one of those to my shopping list as mine are a little spongy. I'll update this page when thats been done.  

3+3 calmini 5.12 a lock in the back and front with steel front diff. 4.24 in tc

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2004, 10:52:05 PM »
Looks good if I don't go with d44's out back I may write you a letter to get that info.

Offline Chief

• Whaddya lookin at??
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2004, 01:19:36 AM »
Looks good if I don't go with d44's out back I may write you a letter to get that info.

That's not safarikicks site, btw.

I think the biggest thing holding me back is the caliper mounting braket. If I had dimesions for one, I think I could cobble something together that would work ok. The swap seems simple enough, with the bracket and turning the drums down being the major hold back.
03 Tacoma, BBP sliders, TRD L/S, Modded intake,  Da Tow Bitch

94 Tracker. Cancer mod :p Otherwise stock

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2004, 03:24:29 PM »
Sweet set up. Looks like it should have been factory
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline SiKiD_01

• Fully Sik, Flying Vit.
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2005, 08:22:23 AM »
Well as I can't wheel my POS at the moment I decided to do some work on the disk brake set up tonight.

I machined  the old drum to mount the disk on, I need a bigger lathe as the drum only just fitted  ::)

I need to cut the old backing plate up to go between the gap you see here or have a look at finding another way around it - I didn't really look to hard at it tonight  :P

Heres were I'll probably mount the caliper, I'm thinking that way it will give me the most out of hand brake cable and chances are most of the crap that gets in the caliper will naturally want to fall out.

I had a bit*h of a time trying to wind the hand brake actuator back in the caliper tonight to get it over the disk freakin POS was frozen solid, like  1.5 hrs of pi$$ing around with it and I had to pull it right to bits. Now I think I stuffed some thing up in the order I put back together cause the adjuster isn't working right.

Sooooo I had to walk away before I threw my toys outa the cot  ;D I'll start over again in the morning and she'll be all right  ;)

Just wondering if theres an update or any more progress on this?

cheers.
1989 Suzuki Vitara... Stock Standard

something closer to home: www.DARWIN4X4.net[/url]

outerlimits4x4.com = Great Tech, Bad Influence

mudfkr

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2005, 02:56:46 PM »

Just wondering if theres an update or any more progress on this?

cheers.

Steve,
I've been working on other stuff like a new rear bumper design to match the front possibly with an Exo cage too so thats slowed the disks brake slowject down a bit but I should be back onto it Mondayish  ;D.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2005, 07:13:07 AM »
If the caliper is upright it may not clear the spring, its not very clear in the pic above). We mounted mine forward (see pic above) because there was plenty of room for it. Most cars seem to have the caliper mounted behind. I spent a lot of time staring at the rear wheels of other cars to see where there calipers were. Porsches and a few others have theirs at the front too so I guess it maybe OK  :D Incidently the tool on the ground is the one for winding the pistons in  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 07:16:07 AM by Rhinoman »
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline SiKiD_01

• Fully Sik, Flying Vit.
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2005, 07:27:56 PM »
Hi shane,

is there any more progress on this yet? if not, its ok.

i'm starting to get very serious with doing a rear disc.
i found some discs and calipers at the wreckers, off a late model car, dont know what car though. has a 5 stud bolt pattern, but still unknown. it is the rear suspension assmeble, and is front wheel drive.

the rear discs are 25cm Outer Diameter, and the hub section is about 18cm accross. the disc is unusable, but maybe the caliper is. there is a provision for the hand brake, but there is no actual hand brake cable.

it also had a speed sensor, maybe for abs? wires were cut. it was ripped out of a totalled wreck.

i just want to know if this caliper would fit a vitara disc? i haven't measured my discs yet, as i can't remove the front wheels at the moment.

or even a sierra disc.

i am looking into doing it the way you have planned, but still unsure about machining costs.

for the caliper mount, can i just make up a bracket out of 10mm steel plate? and bolt it to the 4 bolts on the end of the housing as you said?

or is there more measuring and matching?

i really want to get started on this, but haven't got the parts to start.

thanks a heap,
Steve
1989 Suzuki Vitara... Stock Standard

something closer to home: www.DARWIN4X4.net[/url]

outerlimits4x4.com = Great Tech, Bad Influence

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2005, 06:11:49 AM »
You need to make sure that the calipers you use are suited to the thickness of the disc as well as the diameter. You don't want the pistons travelling past the seals.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org