Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
Re: How to Flip Your Sidekick/Tracker Front Strut Mounts
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 08:59:33 PM »
bumped to MOVE

BIG DOG

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 12:59:18 PM »
Thanks for the write up and the pictures they are great and will really help when I do this. So you need washers because the mount has a lip on it .And if you were to tighten it up the body metal would be pulled into the gap crushing it ? Is this correct ?? And would there be any advantage to cutting out a 3/8" or 1/2" spacer out of steel that would fit down in the mount recess area and flush on the body?

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 01:24:19 PM »
Thanks for the help.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

rascott

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 06:04:22 PM »
hey BIG DOG
i  was just messing around w/my flipped strut mounts.
i had put  1 1/2" spring spacers in front and flipped the mounts, but was not getting much droop before the strut maxed out.
i cut some spacers from 1/2"PVC sheet....
big deal- 1/2"!
i'm not sure what max angle the CV's can take, but i feel better about it and mabe could do more?

mallard75

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 03:46:37 PM »
How much down travel do get with this? Also, what size spacer would you want to run?  And finally, does this keep from having to get OME struts?  I guess what I am saying is what size lift would this accompany?  Thanks!

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 05:45:55 AM »
tis write up is excellent. really cleared up the foggy subject of flipping strut mounts. now that i have pondered on it for a while, would it be ideal that if flipping the strut mount moves the shock down about 1" then, following a 1.5" suspension lift, the struts mounts be flipped and bolted back on with longer bolts and a 1/2" spacer on the bolts holding the mount a further 1/2" from the body? In my head this puts the shocks back in the same relative position to the springs as they were before the lift, thus, good?

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 10:09:25 AM »
tis write up is excellent. really cleared up the foggy subject of flipping strut mounts. now that i have pondered on it for a while, would it be ideal that if flipping the strut mount moves the shock down about 1" then, following a 1.5" suspension lift, the struts mounts be flipped and bolted back on with longer bolts and a 1/2" spacer on the bolts holding the mount a further 1/2" from the body? In my head this puts the shocks back in the same relative position to the springs as they were before the lift, thus, good?
this was my experience.
i used 1/2" pvc sheet to make my spacers. this did allow more use of the strut.
i have run it that way this season and am quite pleased, but intend to swap out the spacers with 1" ones(same material). i think the cv's can handle it, and still not top out the strut.
i put 1 1/2" coil spacers(jeff's) in front, 2" in rear.
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline RUGARD

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 11:20:23 AM »
where are the pics? Im about to start my lift and need help :)

cheers
shayne New Zealand

Offline RUGARD

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 12:52:44 AM »
all good sorted :) anyone ever worry about the caps strength once flipped, mind you only abosrbing the shock not the load am i right?

Offline rascott

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 06:53:15 AM »
i haven't worried about it- i've been running that way(flipped) for several years.
i was a bit concerned, when i first did it, that it would affect the camber, but it aligns ok.
no worries now.
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 08:51:42 AM »
I've blown out a front strut mount once, so I carry a spare just in case

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline RUGARD

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 09:49:22 AM »
Okay cooll, thanks guys from look of your pics i dont think i will be going that rough, im sure it wouldnt take much to break if i started jumping the thing... did the break happen 4x4ing or on the road?
Ive shimmed mine with washers so it should be strong enough.
I also have to fit camber bolts i dunno if my alignment guy will be able to fix positive camber without them!
Is anyone running the diff a frame spacer to stop the breakage of that aframe tie rod end? where would i find dimensions? also what bolt grade did everyone use for the bolts on the strut tower for the flip. Ive used 8.8 Metric grade in an M8x30mm

cheers for ya help
Shayne

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 02:33:39 PM »
I was out wheeling and doing some high speed rough road and I started feeling
something wrong so I stopped and checked it out, I may have not put the big
washers back on and caused too much pull to pop it apart, been a long time
and I can't remember, but I haven't blown one since, and that was over 6 years ago

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline RUGARD

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 09:21:55 PM »
Great makes me feel a lil better.. thanks :)

Offline rascott

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 06:07:27 AM »
i haven't worried about it- i've been running that way(flipped) for several years.
i was a bit concerned, when i first did it, that it would affect the camber, but it aligns ok.
no worries now.

sorry- i ment caster, not camber(i used camber bolts).