Hello Guest

Calmini S.A.S.

• 83 Replies

Offline 1bigtracker

• F*** trail rated, try trail tested
Re: Calmini S.A.S.
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2004, 08:39:47 AM »
with all these axles you guys are talking about arn't the axle tube diameters going to differ?

stu

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2004, 08:48:18 AM »
Shouldn't be much of a problem for
somebody that's into doing this swap
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline explosivo

• I'm in the northern part of that one state.
    • omghi2u Gen. Discussion Forums
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2004, 12:09:44 PM »
with all these axles you guys are talking about arn't the axle tube diameters going to differ?

stu

The mounts that go on the axles probably aren't the most expensive component of the kit, so the manufacturer's could probably make a couple different axle mounts for the varying axles.

But as wild said, if you're buying a kit the has you get your own axles, that really shouldn't be a huge problem at all.
omghi2.us[/url]
"Its a ZUKI thing. Doing more with less than less with more." -- HotRod

Offline TomKat

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2004, 03:27:41 AM »

stu
mini-truck and FJ axles tubes are 3" diameters. Not sure of Dana's.
88.5 Sammy,YJ's,33's,Yota axles,4.9-1 'case,dents and rust...

Offline Natebert

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2004, 07:21:01 AM »
The FJ80's are nearly square, not much round to them.

Offline LawDog

• Lakeview Motor Sports' Makin it Hert! Tell u whut!
    • Emerling Chevrolet
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2004, 07:43:16 AM »
If you wanna drop $2500 to get a solid axle Zuk, just buy yourself a sammi and call it a day.  Then you've got two zuks for the price of one.  Lack of interest my eye.  Lack of interest in your price tag, Calmini
"I'm the Law 'round here" said the Duckshirt.

Get a Zuk, Get it dirty, Git-R-Done!!

At Lakeview Motor Sports we specialize in rediculousness, hackdome, and wasting your time.

mudfkr

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2004, 08:39:06 AM »
If you wanna drop $2500 to get a solid axle Zuk, just buy yourself a sammi and call it a day.  Then you've got two zuks for the price of one.  Lack of interest my eye.  Lack of interest in your price tag, Calmini

I look at it this way, I've all ready got a rig with a 16v EFI engine, power steering, a few extra luxuries that a Sammy won't ever have and that coupled with the fact Sammy's are getting harder to find  ( and let alone a tidy one ) So what I'd spend on an SAS set up is probably less than what most would you'd spend converting a Sammy  to a 1600 with power steer etc so what the difference ??

Once again it come down to every ones got different ideas of what s the ultimate set up then after that its just how much $$$$$$'s you wanna throw at it  ;D

Offline 92Sidekick4x4

• Spencer Atkinson, 92Sidekick4x4
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2004, 11:38:02 AM »
i dunno, why buy a sidekcik then turn it into a sammi? woudlnt it be better to buy a sammi? i dunno seems kinda silly to do a solid axel on a kick, i dunno tho

my lug nuts require more torque then my engine makes ;)

Offline whitfield

• 4-dr Kick on 34's
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2004, 01:02:21 PM »
I'm  looking for a Good Cheap XL-7 to SAS...

Wife wouldn't agree to assist me on swinging the $4600 one that sold on EBAY.  SO now it is off to collecting cans to recycle for pennys so I can afford my own Beater XL-7.

Of course this will be a Look what I can build for $5, one off Bubba specail...  

If I were spending $2500 on a lift if would be for a Disco or Super Duty.

I don't DD lifted vehicles to much any more, they take to much $$$ form the build it & break it fund.  
Old Dog looking to learn some new tricks. 

Offline explosivo

• I'm in the northern part of that one state.
    • omghi2u Gen. Discussion Forums
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2004, 01:30:49 PM »
For all the guys crying 'you're just turning a Sidekick into a Samurai', there's just one problem: Sammy axles are fairly weak. From what I've been reading, 33's are about the max in most cases. To run anything bigger, you'd need to go to mini truck axles. Plus, as mudfkr said: to convert a Samurai to a 1.6 efi engine, PS, AC, and then the minitruck axles for somewhat decent strength, and vehicle cost, then you're looking at more than the 2.5k for the SAS.

Of course I'd never pay that much for something I think I can do myself. ;)
omghi2.us[/url]
"Its a ZUKI thing. Doing more with less than less with more." -- HotRod

Offline TomKat

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2004, 01:50:23 PM »
 Ã‚ Lack of interest in your price tag, Calmini
Back to what was stated before, $2500 ISN'T a lot of cash for it. I just spent more that that on a RE LA lift for the TJ, and they are selling that lift by the boatload. So, RE is making their money back from jigs and r & d, etc. Calmini will not sell as many SAS kits so they need to sell the kit for enough money to make it profitable, that is why it will NEVER come to fruition, it won't be financially prudent on their part.

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2004, 04:46:52 PM »
I did ask them (calmini) about it just a few months ago. I didn't get a very pleasing response.
    I called them the first time I saw it (SAS) year and a half ago. They were pretty Gong Ho on it then but they just must've pettered out.
     It's too bad cause a lot of peolpe are trying and doing a SAS on their SideKicks.
They could always just sell an install kit, brackets, steering, brake lines and all the little things that are hard to figure out.
But "O" Well, their lost and other peoples gain.
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline Bfunk

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2004, 02:27:23 AM »
It's never going to happen, for one reason...  Like Mike said, Suzuki wheelers are the cheapest wheelers out there.  When I got my my sammy it was $700 and sprung over.  I only had about $3500 (including purchase price) into it when it was taken from me.  I wheel with a lot of heeps, and they couldn't believe that you could build such a capable rig so cheap.  Now that I have a sidekick, I've ran into the spot thta's going to cost some money, the front end.  To make the IFS strong enough to house a locker is going to require some money.  So I have to two choices.  Spend money on a steel third member, an anvil, and pick Mike's brain about building some custom axles, or swapping out to something different.  We all have a different opinion on this.  If money didn't matter to me me I would stay IFS.  The ride is better than anything, and Mike's rig has proved that you can build one strong enough to last.  If I ran IFS, I would run a IFS out of a full size rig and make it narrower to be closer to the width I am now.  I figure if I'm going to take the time and money to do a swap, I don't want to worry about breakage.  I wish I could stay IFS.  But I am taking the easy way out.  After all, I wheel a zuk.  It is cheaper ( in the long runof broken parts) for me to go solid up front.  I went through two rear axles and a ring and pinion in one summer.  So I knew this winter was going to see a new rear end.  One that will (hopefully) never brake.  When it came time to attack the front end I decided to go solid.  I chose this because I want to be as bullet proof as possible.  I used the same axle that I am putting in the rear so I think my days of broken axles are behind me.  To everyone here the $7000 dollers I spent in axles probably sounds high.  Hell, right before I lost her, I had a set of wagoneer 44's for my sammy that I got for free.  I figure I will be into the axle swap about $10k.  Evryone here is freaking out by now, but if you ask a heep wheeler they will say that's a good start.  It's all relative.  We as Suzuki wheelers need to realize why we love them so much.  Because, for $2000 you can get a sammy on 31's and lockers that will lead those expensive heeps around the woods all day.  But what the heeps have on us (usually) is strength.  I hate braking parts.  It ruins the hole weekend.  I also like to wheel my rigs hard.  I can't have both if I saty suzuki running gear.  Holy crap, I need to stop typing, this is giving me a headache.  Bottom line is that the Suzuki universe is to cheap to ever see a good solid axle swap go on sale.  
Brian

Sorry, I woke up drunk still.

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2004, 02:52:24 AM »
The simple fact is that we are a limited group of people with vehicles that are no longer in production and are impaitent(sp?) tightwads.

There is no way that it could be cost effective for a vendor to have a huge warehouse of Kick/Tracker parts just sitting there to be delivered. Much less doing a SAS kit that could be delivered to adapt to whatever axle each person decides to put into their vehicle. Calmini would have to buy and operate an entire warehouse just for that kit (that our tightwaded asses would not buy many of because "it's to expensive". If they planned it all out, had a computer data base of all the parts needed to adapt their kit to other axles and a pile of 4 link bolt on's, then they would be hounded by " why does it take 4-8 weeks to get my product, I want it now".

People constantly complain about having to wait on their custom built parts they build for our vehicles. There have been many threads complaining about this regarding the Anvil, winch bumper and swing away rear bumper. It would be a nightmare for them to try to produce their custom parts, order the misc. parts needed to adapt different axles and ship it out in a reasonable time. Not to mention for a bunch of tightwads like us. $2500 for a SAS Kit is cheap, I dont see how they could make money doing it for that much. I've got over $1000 in my Currie Ford 9". I purchased it VERY CHEAP complete end to end (with disc breaks and locker), had a spare Kick housing to steal all the mounts off of, Had to buy matching Yukon gears and had free labor to weld in it, set up the gears, etc...(THANKS MIKE ;)) Not to mention the numerous trips to the parts store to make the Lincon Calipers mate to my suzuki brake lines.

Hopefully one of these days Calmini or another vendor will find a way to develope and sell a kit to meet the SAS peoples needs, but if everybody thinks $2500 is to much, I dont see it hitting the market.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline TomKat

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2004, 04:11:33 AM »
 So I knew this winter was going to see a new rear end.  One that will (hopefully) never brake.  
Je4sus, make sure I'm never in front of you, you may need to stop eventually at one time or another... ;D