Hello Guest

Trailing in TN or KY

• 63 Replies

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Re: Trailing in TN or KY
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 04:57:54 PM »
Haven't decided on camping or not yet. What do you guys want to do? I thought if we did the Danial boone forest we could do a one day out, camp, then one day back thing.  If we can find reasonable rooms in Oliver Springs, we could also enjoy some Sat. Night fun there. I have to check the website again for Coal Creek, but I do think there's a campground there as well.                             
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Gary_Hill

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 11:36:55 PM »
Windrock Park Campground         865-435-1251

Windrock Park Campground is located ON SITE at the Coal Creek OHV Area. The campground includes full RV hookups, cabins, tent camp sites and a shower house. Access to the trail head is via a private trail.

I will wait to see what you all want to do ...camp or motel....I may stay at the rv park and do a couple of extra days...cause I'm retired and cause I can  :P

Offline Gary_Hill

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 11:52:02 PM »
Lodging near the Coal Creek riding area
Hotels

Double Tree Inn                     865-481-2468

Comfort Inn                            865-481-8200

Days Inn                                865-483-5615

Hampton Inn                          865-482-7889

Jameson Inn                          865-483-6809

Super 8                                  865-483-1200

Econo Lodge                         865-482-9968

(All hotels are located roughly 7 miles from the trail head in Oak Ridge, TN)

Cold Beer Zig bring your sleeping bag...Gary

Offline bentparts

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 05:52:32 AM »
We'd like to bring our camper down, but it would limit our travel speed for sure. Were thinking about it. I'm also thinking about a cabin at the campground, that sounds pretty good too. We could bbq in the evening for dinner, or make the trip into town for food. I'm going to call on Monday to find out availability for cabins. It would be cool if we were close enough to hang out in the evening.   

Offline LilRed

• Webshots Photopage
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 07:16:34 AM »
Thanks for the info Gary!

Bentparts, I'd be interested in the cabins as well.  If you call on Monday, will you ask if they can email some pics since there aren't any on their site yet?  Ask em if they'll discount the rate if we as a group, rent multiple cabins or sites?

BTW, what kind of MPG are you gettin' on your tracker  these days and what effect does towing the camper have on it?
some clips from The Wishbone Ranch
http://www.youtube.com/user/KyLilRed

Offline bentparts

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 03:40:44 PM »
I'll try and get some info Tomorrow LilRed. As far as gas milage goes, about 22 average. Towing the camper probably drops that by a few mpgs at least. On the flats it's fine, but those long mountain grades, pushing the turbo really sucks the fuel! If gas keeps going up, I may pull it off in favor of better mileage. At least until I can get something cheaper to drive! It's fine for a "toy" but anything under 20 mpg's isn't very economical. I keep thinking "hey, it's just a 1.6ltr, it should get great gas mileage." Then I remember all I've done to it, and get a look at those 32x11.50 tires and it becomes clear that fuel economy has become secondary !

Offline bentparts

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 06:19:59 AM »
Ok, went back ato the Windrock website ( this time did a google search) and found photos and info on the site, camping, "cabins " and rates. The "cabins are really just bunkhouses, with two sets of bunkbeds.The camp site itself looks nice, but it's bring your own bedding, NO WATER OR ELECTRIC. They are $50 a night + about $10 a night in taxes.  I think that would be fine for a family with kids or 3/4 guys but for that kind of coin we could surley get a motel with electricty, running water, and the benefits that come with it. Having to pack bedding for two, I might as well bring my camper. If we were going to stay for more than two days it would be worth bringing the camper, but for now I'm going to start looking at motels. Let you know what I come up with.

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 07:47:18 AM »
Bentparts...I will be in the Evansville Ind area the 28-29 June and may make the drive down to meet up with you guys.

Trackin33, do you think you are up for the ride down? Good test run before Zookimelt. I have had several Trackers and can help you prep your rig....

Zig...I will have an empty seat ( ok...I might let you drive when you ain't drinkin ) Whada ya tink ?

Gary   

Save me a seat for Saturday. I may be able to do both days but I know I can ride up on Friday night, find a place to crash and ride Saturday. If you are staying in the campground, I'll probably throw my airmattress in the back of the Suburban and just hang there, have a few cold ones and sleep in the truck.

Thanks for the driving offer, I like tearing up my own stuff, but am paranoid of tearing up others...The drinking wont be a problem in the park, rules forbid it and they are almost as strict as the Badlands about it...If your lucky the law will make you waste it and permanently revoke your riding privileges..and it only gets worse from there.  I'll save the cold beer for the camp ground ;)

Gotta get back to work, will check back in later for updates.

Z
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline Trackin_Tracker33

• Have Gun will travel
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 06:17:09 PM »
Bentparts...I will be in the Evansville Ind area the 28-29 June and may make the drive down to meet up with you guys.

Trackin33, do you think you are up for the ride down? Good test run before Zookimelt. I have had several Trackers and can help you prep your rig....

Zig...I will have an empty seat ( ok...I might let you drive when you ain't drinkin ) Whada ya tink ?

Gary   

Just give me a heads up when its about time and ill see if im ready.   I want to build my bumpers, rock sliders, armor ect. first.     but ill be ready by zukimelt for sure

I got your Jeep thang,  thats why it burns when I pee..

Mods: BDS 2" susp., Rocky Road +2'' Body, OME struts, flipped strut mount, custom High lift mount, CB, 30x9.50x15 RVT's

Comming soon.... To hell with IFS,  SAS'N it

Offline bentparts

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 06:44:54 AM »
Hey All, Check this out: Heltons Hillbilly Condos + RV park IN OLIVER SPRINGS. This sounds like our kind of place. I found this under Tn. Vacatiions. This Rv park has Primitive camping for tenters, rv sites with full hookups, and 3/4 different fully furnished mobile homes with everything included. The smallest is a two bedroom 2 bath, the largest is a 4 bdrm double wide. All have mutiple baths, multiple sleeping areas and multiple beds,  decks, outdoor grills w/ propane provided,  and easy acccess to Coal Creek. There's a fire pit, horse shoes, drinking allowed, pets ok, room for muddy 4x4's, Fresh water fishing, . The rate for the mobile homes is $36.50 per night, per person. Reservations are by phone, and they only accept cash or travelers checks. No problem reserving space, James Helton seems like a very nice guy. I think Rita and I would like to stay here, what do you all think? It seems like our kind of place.the phone # there is 865-435-5221, address is 640 Joel Rd. Oliver Springs, TN 37840. I athink this is also listed on one of the Windrock websites as well. Check it out, and they have plenty of room the weekend were there.   

Offline Gary_Hill

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 12:30:17 AM »
Zig....like YODA says  " If you come, ride you will ".  I was just kidding about the booze. Kidding the Zig about his love for good beer seems like the favorite Zukiworld passtime. I was just joining the gang...I'm a retired cop but I was never with the booze police. Looking forward to your good company. You come highly recomended... :laugh:

Offline Gary_Hill

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 12:57:08 AM »
Bentparts...havent you seen those movies where the couple pulls off the main road and checks in at the trailer park motel ????  I'll be ok though....I'll be packin and my Georgia roots go way back. I'll call for an RV spot in the AM. They dont take credit cards for reservations ? Guess I'll find out in the AM......Gary

Offline bentparts

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 04:07:39 AM »
 >:D I'll be bringing my own chainsaw!   If you guys have another preference for places to stay, I'm definitely open to suggestions. The Heltons are apparently just real trusting, they'll accept your reservation over the phone, no payment required. They only accept cash for payment though, and your required to bring your own bbq sauce, preferably wearing it :laugh:

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 05:48:34 AM »
There are quite a few places that the locals open up to wheelers. When the big SFWDA rides come to town almost every yard turns into a parking lot and every field a camp ground  8)

Gary,
Thanks for the ride, I'm looking forward to it...and dont kid yourself, I will have my brew for the camp site  ;) They just dont allow it past the gate  :police:

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline Quaddawg

• Flex and Ground Clearance is HIGHLY overrated!!
    • My Ebay Store
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 11:10:48 AM »
OH YEAH!!!

Windrock.. been there a few times and REALLY want to go back.

I am going to try to be in on this one!!!!

Now, let me go back and read the whole thread so I can figure out all you guys have been talking about..

Sounds like a BLAST!
1996 Tracker Daily Driver, "The Flea"

Clicke HERE for Specs and Pics[/url]