Hello Guest

Trailing in TN or KY

• 63 Replies

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Re: Trailing in TN or KY
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2008, 02:01:28 PM »
 :(  Wow, they're droppin like flies! Hey Gary, I can appreciate your stiuation. The cost of fuel is a concern for us as well, but were only making a 1400 mile r.t. I'm sure glad these little rigs are as fuel efficent as they are, even with mods.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2008, 02:06:44 PM »
I'm going to the outter banks this weekend and it costs less to fly and get a rental than to drive the 700 miles to the condo  :o This gas thing is getting rediculous  >:(

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline Gary_Hill

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2008, 12:20:07 AM »
Thanks for the nod of understanding guys...I hate being all willy-nilly. I have already begged off attending the Indiana family reunion June 14th. I'll wait and see what happens with gas prices and fuel availability before deciding if I can/should try and make Zookmelt this year. When the gas barrons pulled this crap back in the 70s many small independant gas stations went out of business, resulting in long lines at the big company stations. Commodity futures speculators are causing most of the price increase...that and China is now demanding more and more fuel to grow their communist / capitalism. I never would have thought those two words would be used in the same sentence. Maybe this is the kind of "change" Obama is always talking about.

It will now cost $50 for gas to run the Rubicon, so maybe it won't be so crouded now. Sure am glad I live close to the Rub...Gary

Offline bentparts

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2008, 03:45:27 AM »
Back in the 70's when I was stationed in Germany, gas there cost $3.oo a gallon. We bought it by the litre and the price seemed ridulous.  I think the price per gallon here was still under a buck.  Americans have always been spoiled ( myself included) by cheap and available fuel, without realizing the real cost. One of the few things Bush got right was his statement " America is addicted to oil."  As a country we use it like there's no end to the supply. Just look at what people drive; Big ass pick up's with nothing ever in the bed, suburbans and excursions to haul the dog to the groomer, 4wd suv's ( stupid uneccessary vehiciles) that never leave the pavement. When we waste any resource, it's likley to become more expensive , especially when were addicted to it. Even a junkie knows that. OK, I'm done preachin. Sorry for the rant.

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2008, 09:12:48 AM »
Back in the 70's when I was stationed in Germany, gas there cost $3.oo a gallon. We bought it by the litre and the price seemed ridulous.  I think the price per gallon here was still under a buck.  Americans have always been spoiled ( myself included) by cheap and available fuel, without realizing the real cost. One of the few things Bush got right was his statement " America is addicted to oil."  As a country we use it like there's no end to the supply. Just look at what people drive; Big ass pick up's with nothing ever in the bed, suburbans and excursions to haul the dog to the groomer, 4wd suv's ( stupid uneccessary vehiciles) that never leave the pavement. When we waste any resource, it's likley to become more expensive , especially when were addicted to it. Even a junkie knows that. OK, I'm done preachin. Sorry for the rant.
Right on man!! I could not agree more!
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline Gary_Hill

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2008, 01:29:59 AM »
Back in 73 I had just got out of the Army MPs and I was driving a VW Bus with a top end of 50 mph with a tail wind. All I wanted to do was "sit on the dock of the bay with my brown eyed girl" Now 45 years later the Hippy Generation are senators and congressmen/women. Back then the hippy message was " Bring it all down man " and now they seem to be doing just that. Is there anyone in charge who is not smoking dope...Anyone ?

So what does this have to do with Suzukis and 4 wheeling....$10 dollar gas makes our zuks priceless

Offline Gary_Hill

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2008, 01:47:02 PM »
Zig and Bentparts...If I had stayed on schedule for my Indiana trip, here is where I would be right now  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080607/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather_57   

Boy am I glad my " little bird " ( sixth sense )  warned me not to go. I thought it was just the money thing...

High and dry in California....Gary

Offline bentparts

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2008, 06:46:51 AM »
Wow, that woulda been a Really good time to test the snorkle!  We're still planning on making the trip, gas prices be damned! I built this rig to be a duel sport / adventure rig and I've spent too much time, energy and $ to not use it for what it was intended. It's quite capable of getting 23+ mpg at a comfortable pace on the highway and I intend to use it before I can't anymore. I don't forsee gas prices going down soon, or ever. They 're probably gonna go up more if anything so I'll just have to spend my fuel money more wisely. Overseas we had ration cards that covered gas, cigs, booze etc. If you wanted/needed more of any one you got creative and traded or bartered, or you paid the local rate which was 3 times more. It supported a big black market for American goods and actually caused a lot of crime. I hope it doesn't come to that here, but it looks like it's already begun.
BTW Gary, WHAT are you smoking? 1973 was only 35 years ago. I admit I have only fuzzy memories of the late 60's early 70's but missing a whole decade!?  And one more thing, I never knew anyone who smoked pot and WANTED to start wars. The powers that be are more drivin by ego and greed. IMO, maybe they SHOULD smoke some dope. Hey, Clinton was gettin head in the Oval office and the country was doing great. 

Offline Trackin_Tracker33

• Have Gun will travel
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2008, 11:12:20 AM »
Zig and Bentparts...If I had stayed on schedule for my Indiana trip, here is where I would be right now  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080607/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather_57   

Boy am I glad my " little bird " ( sixth sense )  warned me not to go. I thought it was just the money thing...

High and dry in California....Gary

yah that article was no joke....   I almost lost the Go tracker in the middle of US 40    I saw all the cars turning around and my young invincible a$$ drove right through it..  what i didn't know was that is was all the way past my fenders!!!!   maybey i shoulda turned around when I saw a brand new dodge on 35's    transformend into a submarine
I got your Jeep thang,  thats why it burns when I pee..

Mods: BDS 2" susp., Rocky Road +2'' Body, OME struts, flipped strut mount, custom High lift mount, CB, 30x9.50x15 RVT's

Comming soon.... To hell with IFS,  SAS'N it

Offline Gary_Hill

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2008, 11:59:23 PM »
 :P :-[ :laugh:

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2008, 04:43:36 AM »
Good call on the 'no go'. I saw some of that at the airpoer last night on my way back form North Carolina. Does not look like fun.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline LilRed

• Webshots Photopage
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »
Well, if all goes well we have 6 rigs coming: 3 Zuks, CJ5, a Jimmy (I think it is) and a rhino.  We will stay at Helton's if we can get a condo still.  Bentparts, you reserve something yet?

some clips from The Wishbone Ranch
http://www.youtube.com/user/KyLilRed

Offline bentparts

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2008, 03:43:57 AM »
Hey LilRed, I did give Heltons a call a couple of weeks ago and reserved a "condo", really a mobile home. From what he told me they have 4 or 5 of them, so give 'em a call. Lookin' forward to this ride, Tracker is just about ready to go. We should be there sometime Friday evening. I'll post up again before we leave.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2008, 06:31:15 AM »
Spoke with James Helton yesterday to confirm my res, and he said they still had a couple of "condos" avail. Giave him a call.

Offline LilRed

• Webshots Photopage
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2008, 08:09:22 AM »
Spoke with James Helton yesterday to confirm my res, and he said they still had a couple of "condos" avail. Giave him a call.

D & I are booked in!  I will touch base with the others tonight! 
some clips from The Wishbone Ranch
http://www.youtube.com/user/KyLilRed