Hello Guest

Tracker-2x4 rockers-Frnt Bmper-4 dr sprngs-lwered frnt diff-$30 steel frnt diff

• 258 Replies

Offline BRD HNTR

Throw a pontoon boat on the roof, and try to do 60 mph.  (good thing for the motor swap)

I am building a trailer for it 4' x 6', running on 5 x 5.5 wheels, with a tongue that I can jack knife w/o damage.  It is heavier than intended, but should be good for some off road camping/fishing trips.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Are you building it to M416 dimensions?  I bought an axle from one for the same purpose.  The PO pulled it to mount an axle that matched his Land Cruiser bolt pattern.

I have 3x3x0.125 for the frame, but still need springs and hangers.   I will most likely use CJ-3 springs, like the M416.

If it is heavier than expected, go with trailer brakes.  I go through brakes much faster when I use the trailer a lot.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 04:53:52 PM by Ridjobradi »

Offline BRD HNTR

M416 which I had not thought of should be even heavier than mine.   I got a donated CostCo trailer 5?x8' and cut it down to 4X6 so I could carry a full sheet of plywood with the tailgate up or down.  Replaced the cheap light weight axle with an axle I built, that had 5X5.5 bolt pattern with same tread width as my tracker.  I had picked up a set of weld wheels (look very close to what I am running on my Tracker) for spares, so they became the wheels.  I need to fill about 11" gap on floor on both sides, and repaint whole trailer. 
I am just in the middle of TOO MANY PROJECTS, and the trailer has lost priorities since it looks like I will not make the Divide Ride.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 06:55:05 PM by BRD HNTR »
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

I may be going with the fiberglass M416 or Jeep tubs to save weight.  The other option is using 18mm Baltic birch for a removable expedition style box.  I have several 5x5 sheets of 18mm and some slightly smaller 18mm.

I also have too many projects and struggle with which one to spend the time / money on.

I just accepted another position and won't be able to make the Divide Drive.

The trailer looks great.  The pics were not visible last night.

Offline BRD HNTR

The trailer looks great.  The pics were not visible last night.
You must have viewed it before I made the change.  I am trying to use the ZW photo loader, which may be simpler in the long run.  I had been loading my photos to Google+ and then putting the photo address in the image loader.

Offline nprecon

• ONWARD... through the fog!
and the trailer has lost priorities since it looks like I will not make the Divide Ride.

Hopefully those trails along the Divide aren't going anywhere, guys.  There are higher priorities in life.  Doesn't mean you guys can't try to shoot the Divide drive next year.

I like that trailer too.  I think the old military 1/4 ton "jeep" trailers would be the bomb for a trailer for our trucks.  Nice and light, durable as hell with a pintle hitch for angles.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:47:15 PM by nprecon »
'02 Chezuki Tracker with a 2 Liter and 5spd.  It works for me!!!

Offline BRD HNTR

I have been chasing wiring issues since I burnt up some wiring while welding a LONG time ago.  The main issue has been O2 sensors no output, or low voltage.  But when I check O2 sensors with OBD2 computer it shows good signal, and cleared alarms stay cleared for one time or two weeks.
Hopefully the issue has been solved.

I stopped at a local fishing hole and my Tracker quit.  Tried to start and low battery, just barely turned over, so got a jump and did make it home with motor running like crap.  Only alarms on computer were my familiar 02 sensors, but battery voltage was 9.5 volts running.
Replaced the alternator and has been running a week, no Codes, shifts consistent, motor running great.  And looking back there were indications of low voltage that should have caused me to check Alternator output, but battery had always started Tracker, so why check battery voltage.
Long story, but what appears to be gremlins could be low voltage indications.  (just a thought)

Chasing electrical issues is always a chore.  My alternator is slowly producing less voltage and will need to be replaced soon.

It is good to see you back on the board. 

I looked at the Kizashi alternators for a used swap, but they have a different mounting configuration.  I am not sure we have the same bolt holes in the 1.8. 

I have found a replacement alternator that is good for 140 amps and will most likely go with it.

Offline BRD HNTR

My 2.7 stock is 90 amp, way more than the 93 alternator was at 55 amp.  I have LED off road lights, and do not winch very often, so trying to fit an even bigger alternator in my very limited space was not worth the effort.

I have been here all along, just do not have much to report on yet.  Of course hunting season is coming up soon, so that will slow down any project work.

Offline beagle..t

uhmmm hunting season .... sept 10 opens here project tracker should be done just need to get alignment, paint rims and done for the yr gl this season
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline BRD HNTR

My Tracker tires were getting low on tread, so, so I have replaced them with Toyo 33X12.5X15 MT'S.  Alignment shop said most steering joints were bad, so I am now replacing everything after the steering box.
As my passenger side diff seal has started leaking again, I am going to modify the housing so that I can put a poly bushing in it behind the seal.  I have tried to put one in before, but there was not enough room, so I will replace the socket with a modified one with more room.
As my outer CV boot was rubbing on the bolt heads for the ball joint, I am changing the position of the ball joints to above the mounting from below the plate.  This will effectively lower the ball joint 1 1/4", I will soon know if that is too much.

Offline Tan Zuk

My Tracker tires were getting low on tread, so, so I have replaced them with Toyo 33X12.5X15 MT'S.  Alignment shop said most steering joints were bad, so I am now replacing everything after the steering box.
As my passenger side diff seal has started leaking again, I am going to modify the housing so that I can put a poly bushing in it behind the seal.  I have tried to put one in before, but there was not enough room, so I will replace the socket with a modified one with more room.
As my outer CV boot was rubbing on the bolt heads for the ball joint, I am changing the position of the ball joints to above the mounting from below the plate.  This will effectively lower the ball joint 1 1/4", I will soon know if that is too much.

BRD HNT wish you were closer, wouldn't mind sharing some shop space with you. It would be interesting kicking around ideas on how to solve some of those nagging issues that need to be taken care of after an extensive mod.

Could probably even give a little crash coarse on the machines.

Terry

Offline BRD HNTR

BRD HNT wish you were closer, wouldn't mind sharing some shop space with you. It would be interesting kicking around ideas on how to solve some of those nagging issues that need to be taken care of after an extensive mod.

Could probably even give a little crash coarse on the machines.

Terry
Terry, Yes it could be interesting having someone with more knowledge and abilities to kick around ideas and issues to what I like to do.  I am open to suggestion, or instructions, on what I may be missing or don't know (I offer my ideas to others often enough), and you can pm me to discuss what could be sensitive or controversial.

Most of my building is born of a necessity to have my rig do something better than it does stock, and knowledge that I can't solve that necessity without trying something.  I often add "Every modification begets another modification" to my posts because learning either encourages more changes or requires changes to what has been done.

Offline BRD HNTR

I have had issues with the Front Diff passenger side seal leaking, and as my diff is fabbed out of a Sami rear diff I had a really had a hard time finding the correct seal last time I was in Moab.  So I decided to remedy the situation by installing a poly bushing inside of the seal area so axle stub had more to ride on than the seal.  I figured that I would make the seal same as stock Tracker this time, which would be a bore of 2.441".  Turns out that schedule 40 pipe 2 1/2" is 2.47 inside diameter and outside diameter of a plug cut by a 2 1/2" hole saw is very close to the same.  after cleaning up the diff housing I cut the bearing housing out of the diff with torch, then clean it up with a cone grinder.  I measured the distance from outside housing to differential gears (when installed), and cut my pipe to fit.  I had acquired a piece of high density polyurethane to cut a bushing out of, so first cut it to 3/4" thickness, then cut it with 2 1/2" hole saw, and cut the plug with a 1 3/8" hole saw, and have a bushing to install inside of my seal.  After sliding the cleaned up new polyurethane bushing inside my housing bore and slid stub axle into that, (and having third member inside diff housing) I put bearing housing and stub axle into place.  As the schedule 40 pipe section was larger than the old bearing housing the gap was close, and it was tacked at several points to hold in place.  Remove everything and weld in place.  As the polyurethane bushing was just a snug fit, I put several small tack welds towards the back of the new housing bore to keep the bushing from sliding back into differential.  Clean up housing and finally drive the bushing into place install gears, check clearances again, install seal and stub axle, and put it back on Tracker.
Running good, and no leaks.  Must have some oil on lense of camera.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:33:22 AM by BRD HNTR »