Hello Guest

Tracker-2x4 rockers-Frnt Bmper-4 dr sprngs-lwered frnt diff-$30 steel frnt diff

• 258 Replies

Offline beagle..t

good work BRD .... and can I be invited on this guru chat..... :laugh:
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline BRD HNTR

I have been getting O2 Bank 1 & 2 Sensor 1 alarms frequently, so figured it was wiring issues coming back to haunt me.  So instead of stripping wiring harness apart I ran new wires all the way to all four sensors (no common wires now), so the issue will be easier to identify.  Seemed to work for about a week, then alarms started again, so back to the O2 relay, and found the power input to relay coil was broke down to last few strands.  This was also main power to ignition, so clean it up and solder back in place on fuse block.  Runs much better now, but intermittent O2 alarms are still active, so grabbed another O2 sensor off the bench that used the same wiring plug as my pre cat sensors.  Even an ignorant mechanic can find something once in a while.  That O2 sensor gave O2 readings on startup, where "old" sensors started giving signals around two miles out.  As both O2 sensors were doing same thing, and were not always alarming at same time, and were both only around two years old, I had been thinking it had to be wiring; WRONG.
Good news Amazon has upstream Sensors for $25 that fit, not universal.  Ordered two.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Glad that you were able to identify the problem.  I keep thinking of doing an engine swap, but mine is still going strong and it will be so much easier to stick with a J model.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline BRD HNTR

It is best to really identify the problem first.  The wiring I had installed for O2 sensors did eliminate what I thought the problem was, and repairing the breaking wire really improved the performance, as should the new O2 sensors.  We drive cars for years without replacing the sensors, so the ones that I bought a couple years ago should have lasted (and not been the problem). 
I can agree with you, if it is not broke why modify it.??  I was going to do lower gears in the TC, but this drive train tempted me with close to same price (I thought).   Guess I keep thinking the next swap will be easier and better.  When it is running right it is awesome, and even with the mostly broken wires when I got over 70mph it was in the power and just cruised with lots of throttle left (not that I would drive that fast routinely).
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

I had big plans for my Sport this week and last, while I had time at home.  Unfortunately, the weather and the house have kept me from it.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:26:06 PM by Ridjobradi »

Offline BRD HNTR

I had big plans for my Sport this week and last, while I have time at home.  Unfortunately, the weather and the house have kept me from it.

Isn't that the truth?  Kind of like Time & Money, never together.
Sports could be a tempting rig, with the little extra space in the engine bay.  Don't stop by my place, it only took about 20 minutes for Beagle..t to get infected with "it can fit, Im going for it".

The tempting part for me is knowing there are factory V6 engines in the same frame and body.  Too bad they were all overseas.

Offline beagle..t

hahaha  :laugh: and ya that's why I haven't been back
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline BRD HNTR

hahaha  :laugh: and ya that's why I haven't been back
Guess that means I will have to go up there, after archery season.  You will have most of the bugs out by then.

I received my new O2 sensors, and one only reads half the )2 of the other one.  Installed another bench sensor and got good readings.  Contacted Amazon and the supplier, another 02 sensor will be on the way soon.  Still running much smoother and idles down much faster on cold startups.  And it doesn't drop out of 5th gear as often either.

Offline beagle..t

brd your always welcome up here :). you sure your cats are still good? I should have all bugs out by sept 10... that's when my hunting season starts

Offline BRD HNTR

brd your always welcome up here :). you sure your cats are still good? I should have all bugs out by sept 10... that's when my hunting season starts
My number one Cat is new last year, they other one is obviously suspect.  but that shouldn't have caused the O2 to have dropped.   Both bench O2's have indicated approximately same O2 sensors,but newer one thinks the the O2 is half, the others If it wasn't so tight, I would switch O2 positions and verify. ,

Offline beagle..t

ya  tight  in there for sure.... I got a lot more room than I expected

Offline BRD HNTR

It has been a while since I have made any real modifications, not to say they haven't been needed.  My Tracker has had a response on lag on freeway ruts that seems to hve increased with the heavier tires.  Also when I slid my axle back for the 33's clearance I never changed the spring seat and have had noisy spring popping and groaning.  So it is time for minor changes.
First and easiest is to correct the spring seats.  But it is setting on the trailing arm connection. and I am thinking the reason for my lag on freeway ruts is triangulation or very little of it on my bottom links.  So I can get both of these in the same not so minor work.
In able to improve the lower link triangulation is to move the front frame connection from outside the frame to inside the frame. 
Using my present trailing arms requires that the front frame mount would be about 8 inches inside the frame, and it needs to not flex allowing axle movement.  So I made a crossmember to mount the linkage tie points.  And running dual exhaust which is running alongside the frame both sides is starting to complicate a minor modification.  Tan Zuk just said
"Really have to think 100 moves ahead when planning where parts need to live and play nice with their neighbors.
OR
You will find yourself scratching your head a whole lot more coming up with a solution.
Crossmember is 2"x4" tubing and exhaust is 2 1/4" so a 3" sleeved hole in each side will be needed also. 

It all took longer than I thought, and the exhaust is not done.  Mock up should have been more thorough.  But highway performance is good, no exhaust  from the crossmembe back (including mufflers) is not.  Better photo's and ideas tomorrow.

Offline BRD HNTR

I think you will notice that if the links are connected in the middle points, and they are, there isn't much room for the exhaust pipe if the linkages run outward.  I was thinking that as the exhaust was turning up at that point there might be enough room to squeeze it in.  Probably not.  I will see tomorrow.
But handling was improved enough to continue with this.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
So BRD, how have the new mounting points worked on the rear arms?  Any pics of the completed setup?
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!