Hello Guest

Mr T - The build

• 226 Replies

Offline stuckhappens

Re: Mr T - The build
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 09:13:25 AM »
that looks great i like to see where people take stock parts make them work the wat they want good job dude
1988 samurai tin top project ugly duckling

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 05:06:05 PM »
Nice work. 
Have you had it aligned, or is the parallel plywood panels good enough?  If you had it aligned how did you camber come out?
What size tires are you running?
Do you have any other lift?
Is there an improvement in handling?
Are you doing the drivers side CV mod?
With the ball joint out further (and then axle bearing), is it easier to slip CV joints in and out?  (With my lifts, I have to really raise the A arm to lessen the angle it comes through, this might make it easier.)

Waiting to see what else has happened to your tracker.  And thanks for sharing.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 07:42:47 PM »
Nice work. 
Have you had it aligned, or is the parallel plywood panels good enough?  If you had it aligned how did you camber come out?
What size tires are you running?
Do you have any other lift?
Is there an improvement in handling?
Are you doing the drivers side CV mod?
With the ball joint out further (and then axle bearing), is it easier to slip CV joints in and out?  (With my lifts, I have to really raise the A arm to lessen the angle it comes through, this might make it easier.)

Waiting to see what else has happened to your tracker.  And thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

The MDF that I used for aligning it worked well...but I was putting a few hundred miles on it this weekend and didn't want to wear out my tires.  That said it took me two attempts to get it pretty good.  After the first try, I took it for a drive and when I returned I noticed the outter lugs were black while the inner lugs, just dirty tire.  So I'm sure that was a sign of too much toe in.  The problem was keeping the panels straight.  They would bow a bit and if I wasn't watching close, one of them could easily have moved during adjustments and measuring.  After the second attempt, I  was more careful.  After a  drive there were no signs of misalignment.  So I called it good.  Then, like I mentioned about, I doubted my work and the distance I had to cover the next few days, I decided to get it done at a shop.  I probably wasted my money, cause the feel of the ride after the alignment was the same.

Camber was perfect - according to the alignment shop - and caster is still within acceptable limits.

I run 235 75 15 Kumho Road Venture M/T.  (I really like these tires.)

No, I have no other lift.  Just the modified control arm and 3/4" spacer in the back.

The handling is the same, but the approach angle is amazing!

No plans for the drivers CV mod as of yet...

I have not tried to remove the axle since the mod was completed.

Thanks BRD HNTR!

91 Chevy Tracker
2.7L V6, Coil-over Suspension, ARB, and other goodies...
My build - http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=25353.0

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 10:29:28 AM »
The suspension worked great last weekend...but the engine didn't like it.  It started ticking real bad and after a few hundred miles - "bang-clunk-clunk" (or something like that), the oil pressure dropped as fast as it dumped out all over the ground.  :(  Time for a new motor and other goodies...
91 Chevy Tracker

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 11:24:39 AM »
Are you going to put in a different engine of stick with a 1.6L 8v?  Cause I might be interested in that turbo and intercooler... 8)
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Bryce132

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 09:22:43 AM »
Did you check for rubbing when the wheel travels up? (compression on the strut)
It looks like the CV axle might rub on the lower control arm under certain postions...

Bryce

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 09:33:45 AM »
Did you check for rubbing when the wheel travels up? (compression on the strut)
It looks like the CV axle might rub on the lower control arm under certain postions...

Bryce

It is close, but no rubbing.  I cycled the suspension up and down with the wheels turned left and right, before I finished welding anything - no rubbing.

Thanks though!  ;D
91 Chevy Tracker

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 12:44:01 PM »
Are you going to put in a different engine of stick with a 1.6L 8v?  Cause I might be interested in that turbo and intercooler... 8)

:'( I don't know if I could...
91 Chevy Tracker

Offline Bryce132

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 01:26:14 PM »
You should unbolt the front struts and see how far down your suspension can go before hitting, if you intend to lift it more.
Good design and fabrication, looks awesome.

Bryce

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 04:37:40 PM »
I've been busy and it's been forever since I've posted an update. ::)

I blew the engine a couple months ago and am finally getting around to fixing it.  I still haven't got it pulled out, so I can't tell you what failed yet, but as soon as I know I'll pass it on.  I've got a very long list of things to do which include:

-New exhaust manifold for the turbo
-Water/air intercooler
-Upper control arms...  ;D
-Engine rebuild and install
-Body work and patch small rust holes in the floor
-New rear control arm
-Bumpers
-Cut out rockers and install rock tubes (hate to do that when they don't have an ounce of rust)
-Relocate rear spring perches for taller springs
-Lift it more >:D

I'm sure I'll add to this list as it progresses...
91 Chevy Tracker

Offline mike5721947

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »
sounds like its going to be a monster for next year... all you guys keep building your trucks bigger and bigger, just to make mine look smaller and smaller...
your tracker even made mine look a cheerleaders beach crusier (ok, with some grille damage...)

gotta get some lift and tires on mine soon...
1990 Suzuki sidekick 2Dr Conv.
385,000 km and still going strong.
31" kumhos 3inchs of lift.

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 12:14:31 PM »
sounds like its going to be a monster for next year... all you guys keep building your trucks bigger and bigger, just to make mine look smaller and smaller...
your tracker even made mine look a cheerleaders beach crusier (ok, with some grille damage...)

gotta get some lift and tires on mine soon...

Well, you better get to it!  ;)
91 Chevy Tracker

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 09:49:51 PM »
With much delay, I bring photos!  I've pulled the engine - the con-rod is broken :(.  So I've got my "new" engine on the stand and will be checking it over and doing a little cleanup and detail as well as a new exhaust manifold.

91 Chevy Tracker

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Update on the progress...doesn't seem like much, but I've cleaned the engine pretty good and now have been working on the new turbo exhaust.
What do you think?
91 Chevy Tracker

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2009, 12:39:14 AM »
I like keeping up to date on this post.  You were able to make your own turbo and intercooler setup work.  You made your own suspension lift and the "widening" mod on the front and made it even better than that.  Always good to see what people can do while keeping things basic and do-it-yourself 100%.  Props to you! 8)
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts