Hello Guest

What size speakers for Samurai?

• 9 Replies

Offline 87tintop

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
What size speakers for Samurai?
« on: May 31, 2009, 08:05:57 PM »
I am trying to figure out what size speakers I need to get, and was wondering if anybody had any clues for me.  I searched long and hard for the info and couldn't find it.

I have an 87 tintop with only front speakers that appear to be stock.

the front speakers are what size factory and will bigger ones fit? depth too

for the rear I plan on putting them right behind the front seats in the interior panels, and I know a 6x9 would fit but what to I need for depth?

sorry for the dumb questions, I'm new to the whole audio realm, Thanks in advance for any help

Offline oak_raid

Re: What size speakers for Samurai?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 08:48:21 PM »
I put 5.25" front speakers in an 87 sammy last year.  In the kickpanels.

Offline 87tintop

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 12:43:49 PM »
sweet, thanks, any ideas on rear speaker depth anyone?

Offline Hitman

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 01:04:31 PM »
I have 6.5 Infinity Kappa speakers in the kick panels and box 6X9 in the back for a great sounding system.  Used a Pioneer head unit and am very happy with it!

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 01:29:13 PM »
I am running 6.5" kicker components in front and polk 6.5" in the rear tailgate, an alpine 4ch amp, and pineer head unit; sounds awesome.  
The front kick panels in my sami had factory openings for 5.25" speakers, but my 6.5" fit in there just fine with no cutting (I did have to drill holes for mounting screws), and there was plenty of depth for the baskets.  
If you have any questions, the people at Crutchfield are usually pretty helpful:
www.crutchfield.com
They don't always have the best prices, but if you have a discover card you can get 20% off by using your cashback bonus there, and an additional 5% through the shopdiscover website...these deals make them cheaper than anywhere, at least for me.  
Their website also have very accurate dimensions for all of the speakers they carry, so you can do a little research there before you buy anything.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:30:49 PM by sewerzuk »
My rig is a fusion of Jazz and Funk; I call it JUNK

xkmail

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 11:16:48 AM »
I put some 6X9 in the back panels just to the left and right of the passenger back seats.
It is a tight fit, you have to draw a pencil on the inside to get the mounting right.
I thought it would be cool to replace those cheap panels with some diamond plate cut to order.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 12:00:11 PM »
Kind of like BRD HNTR did?  :)

96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline oak_raid

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 01:34:41 PM »
Just put speakers in my new sammy.  Fronts can handle 6.5".  I love the pics above for rear speakers.  Great idea!

Offline mrhawk

• I Love ZUKS
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 12:28:07 AM »
I run  6x9" in the front of my SJ

Very tight, but can be done.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »
I found this topic when I was researching replacing my speakers down in the stock location (kick panel).

... MUCH Thanks for all those who replied and said what fit in their kicks.

I replaced some old 5.25 Blaupunk speakers with a set of Alpine 6.5"
And replaced the older Sony head unit with a Sony that had a USB connection out the back.

Everything went in well (no cutting), and it's now a skip free head unit that sounds good enough for trail running and rock crawling.   Thanks to those who contribute, it makes it easier for us all!!