Hello Guest

What Gear lube to use in Differentials,transfer and transmission

• 11 Replies

Offline Bill S

I read on a post not to long ago that Synthetic GL5 75W-140 for diffs and Synthetic GL5 75W-90 for Manual Transmission and transfer case. My Haynes book says GL5 75W-90 for both but on several posts I read they say GL4 for trans and diff. Can any body remember the post that mentioned the first sentence and where it is. I going to put the 75W-140 in the diffs but need to know about the GL4 on the trans and Transfer case

Bill S

Offline Lindenmooch

• Just another paranoid android.
Re: What Gear lube to use in Differentials,transfer and transmission
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 11:49:33 AM »
I just started a thread on this subject recently...why not join in on the discussion there? 

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=25501.0

Try searching next time.    ;)

Offline Bill S

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 01:33:39 PM »
I did a search! ! and did not find the information I needed but I will check out your post.

Bill S

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 08:22:27 AM »
Search on this site SUCKS. It completely misses things. Use google by typing in your search string, then adding: "site:zukiworld.com" at the end.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Bill S

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 09:11:10 AM »
Thats exactly my point. Thank you and hope others note this too.

Bill S

Offline zukimoo

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 02:20:28 PM »
I run 75W90 synthetic oil in all of it. I used to run 80W90 until I changed to synthetic. If you have a leak it will get worst with synthetic....regular oil won't leak as bad. If you don't have any leaks then go for the good stuff.

If you put the same in all you can carry ony jug with you and not worry about having to carry double the weight for spare oil. I'm a strong believer in synthetics unless there are leaks. You should fix leaks as soon as you can.
85 SJ413K SUA, 30" BFG muds, 512's, lockers and DOHC soon...
81 LJ80, 800cc of pure power....Stock
06 Baja Buggy

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »
I also like to use synthetics. Me and my brother both built engines last year and had them dynoed at the same time. We broke them in and did some power runs and then did an oil change and with mine we kept with the regular oil and it ran the same after the oil change. With my brothers we used synthetic and had a 10 h.p. gain! After that I started running synthetic  :D

Offline Bill S

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 08:32:45 AM »
 I called Quaker State manufacturer which is owned by Shell oil and was told SAE 75W-90 GL5 synthetic Gear and differential will attack bronze,brass & copper and not to use it in manual transmissions. You need to use their GL4 lube in this application.

Bill S.

Online fordem

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 10:27:42 AM »
Basically the difference between a GL4 and a GL5 oil is that the GL5 contains more EP (extreme pressure) additives.  The differentials, because of the sliding motion of the hypoid gears, require these additives, the transmission and transfer cases do not (they do not contain hypoid gears).

On the other hand, depending on the formulation of the particular oil, the EP additives used in the GL5 oils, may attack the softer, so called 'yellow', metals, used in the transmission and transfer cases, for the synchromesh rings, hence the recommendation for a GL4 oil for those applications.

Now that I have explained the differences between the oils and the reasons why a GL4 is recommended for one area and a GL5 for the other - let's go on to the problem - there does not seem to be a wide range of GL4 oils available on the market.

If Quaker State says their GL5 oils will attack yellow metals, and you can find their GL4 oil, then by all means use it - I cannot find a GL4 synthetic where I am, so I'm using Exxon's Mobil1 75w90 GL5 synthetic in the transmission, transfer case and both differentials.

Here's what Exxon Mobil has to say on the subject ...
Excellent rust, staining and corrosion protection of copper and its alloys

taken from Exxon Mobil's page for their 75w90 GL5 synthetic oil (bronze and brass are both alloys of copper), and for what it's worth, I've been running this GL5 oil in the transmission of my Suzuki Swift, whic requires a GL4, for many years, with no ill effects - I've even had the transmission apart to replace the bearings and the synchros are in fine shape.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 10:52:12 AM »
Thats exactly my point. Thank you and hope others note this too.

Bill S

Well let's work on this "search" issue rather than just saying it sucks... What were the search terms you used to find an answer? I would like to try and work through this issue with you. There are some things I can tweek on our on site searching engine but not much.

It seems like a lot of friendly users already chimed in and helped out dispite the search "suckage" that we seem to have. Thank you for that.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »
\What were the search terms you used to find an answer? I would like to try and work through this issue with you. There are some things I can tweek on our on site searching engine but not much.

I'd noticed (over the years) I had a difficult time finding threads I know I've posted about. In fact - I thought one thread I made completely vanished (or got deleted). When I asked about it (I believe in the water cooler) other members mentioned they too has problems with the search over the years, and have abandoned it for Google's search. Another member found the thread I'd been describing by manually going back 2 or 3 pages back in the forum. After verifying that thread existed, I searched using the engine here (and didn't find it using key words from that thread, even when filtering by my name) and by using Google (which brought the page right up). Since then, I've been using Google almost exclusively. So, unfortunately, it's been so long I don't remember specific words I've used  >:( Wish I could be a little more helpful. I'll try doing searches concurrently here & google for a while. When I find unfavorable results here, I'll send the examples to you. Would you like them PM'd or in here?

I sort of addressed the issue a little here: http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=24683.0
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 02:42:28 PM »
\What were the search terms you used to find an answer? I would like to try and work through this issue with you. There are some things I can tweek on our on site searching engine but not much.

I'd noticed (over the years) I had a difficult time finding threads I know I've posted about. In fact - I thought one thread I made completely vanished (or got deleted). When I asked about it (I believe in the water cooler) other members mentioned they too has problems with the search over the years, and have abandoned it for Google's search. Another member found the thread I'd been describing by manually going back 2 or 3 pages back in the forum. After verifying that thread existed, I searched using the engine here (and didn't find it using key words from that thread, even when filtering by my name) and by using Google (which brought the page right up). Since then, I've been using Google almost exclusively. So, unfortunately, it's been so long I don't remember specific words I've used  >:( Wish I could be a little more helpful. I'll try doing searches concurrently here & google for a while. When I find unfavorable results here, I'll send the examples to you. Would you like them PM'd or in here?

I sort of addressed the issue a little here: http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=24683.0

Ok, well I'd like to work on this so that the searching is much better. It maybe a problem with the way SMF does searching... I don't know yet but will read up on it. Thank you for putting in the effort.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!