Hello Guest

Has anyone seen a how-to on "built in" rock sliders?

• 13 Replies

Offline goodyz

• Turdzuki.
Has anyone seen a how-to on "built in" rock sliders?
« on: October 24, 2009, 06:43:20 PM »
It seems like I saw a how-to a long time ago on how to cut out the rocker panels and weld in rectangular tubing to make a "built in" rock slider that looks basically like a really beefy rocker panel. Has any one seen this? I have good fabricating skills, I'm just not sure how I'd weld the tubing in considering the thin metal that's in that area. Any Ideas? I don't want any of the ready available 'bolt-to-the-frame' sliders, I want to fab up my own. Thanks.
-goodyz

Offline TopHeavy96

96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

Offline nova

• I know some people... haha
Re: Has anyone seen a how-to on "built in" rock sliders?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 09:43:34 PM »
That's what I did with mine, but I angled the ends and capped them...

I made a reallllllly big mistake on the drivers side.  I didn't cut wires or anything, but I wish I would have so I had an excuse to bring the harness in the cab.  I put the drivers side on and only welded the outside and noticed it got pretty hot, and I didn't want to melt my wires in the harness, so I stopped with the outside and didn't weld the under-side.  Next day, I got hired back at the City and I was doing my fabbing in a fab shop in the next town.  Well, after a couple hits, the slider bent and I didn't get to weld the bottom, so It's now floppy on the Drivers side, but the passenger side is perfect and it's held up to some MASSIVE beating.
I'm trying to make my Sidekick bombproof for really cheap, but I got skills and ideas that would stump Eddison.
I also got an 89/94/96 Sidekick/Tracker that climbs like a goat.
Baaaa

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:16:58 PM »
I have been running on mine for just over a year,  the best most used modification I have done.  I used duct tape to hold wires up out of the way, and there were wires on both sides.  Next one I do, I will use 2x6 and kick it out a little more, easier to weld the inside, and more to slide on.  It has saved the body from a lot of damage.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline nova

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 10:05:16 PM »
I run with an 80 y/o wheeler who has been building these sidekicks since they came out, so I told him about the sliders and he was interested, then he said they hang down too much, and his caved in rockers had better clearence, which is true!  THEN I had a great idea....  What about 2x4" angle iron?!
I'm trying to make my Sidekick bombproof for really cheap, but I got skills and ideas that would stump Eddison.
Baaaa

Offline yellow2000S/R

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 11:35:10 PM »
I run with an 80 y/o wheeler who has been building these sidekicks since they came out, so I told him about the sliders and he was interested, then he said they hang down too much, and his caved in rockers had better clearence, which is true!  THEN I had a great idea....  What about 2x4" angle iron?!

Stick down to far? The ones in this topic aren't bolted/welded to the frame, sections of the rocker is cut out, wires tucked up/taped in place, then the box tubing is inserted and welded. It doesn't change clearance hardly any.

Offline nova

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 01:55:14 AM »
That's how mine is and it's not as much clearence as a beat-up rocker panel.  Then I figured out we might use 2x4" angle iron...  Seems like it's just as strong.
Baaaa

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 12:49:34 PM »
The low point is usually the frame more then the rocker panels.  If you want to get more clearance you could cut them out completely and replace it with a 1x4 piece of angle iron but you aren't going to gain much without cutting into the doors.  You should take a look at the .  I would just run with bashed in rockers if you are worried about clearance.  The long term method would be to cut the rockers out and the bottom couple of inches off of your door and put a new outside floor/rockers in.

96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline zukimoo

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 03:59:36 PM »
I used some 94x4 square tubing and welded it to the body. The trick is to prep the area real good and get a good fit. Once I had it welded to the body I took and added some that were a little heavier and welded it all together to the upper body mounts. If you don't mind some vibs then you can build a bracket that comes up from the frame. We did one like this and you'd never bend the sliders. He made the bracket so that you can unbolt it so you can pull the body if need be.
85 SJ413K SUA, 30" BFG muds, 512's, lockers and DOHC soon...
81 LJ80, 800cc of pure power....Stock
06 Baja Buggy

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 08:50:49 PM »
If you are REALLY concerned about bending them, use 1/4" or heavier stock.  I made mine out of 1/8" x 2" x 4", and if you drop it far enough it can bend.  I had fun putting them in, and it makes me feel good every rock or log I drop it on, or slam it into.  I did not enjoy driving through a ditch and bending the stock rock panel flat.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline LilRed

• Webshots Photopage
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 08:48:48 AM »
That's how mine is and it's not as much clearence as a beat-up rocker panel.  Then I figured out we might use 2x4" angle iron...  Seems like it's just as strong.

Mine are made with angle iron but they wrap around the rocker panel, not built in.  They have held up extremely well and seem indestructible! 
some clips from The Wishbone Ranch
http://www.youtube.com/user/KyLilRed

Offline sportkick

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 01:20:15 PM »
Hey guys and gals. Did the same thing to my '96 sidekick sport. A stick of 2x4 tube steel 20' long cost me $100. Took it home and cut 2 pieces to the length of my rusty rotten rockers, cut out what I didn't want and welded up everything and it works great.

Offline jawman

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 10:40:31 PM »
I dont know how the sammi compairs to the trackick, but look at these sammi slidders by Shrockworks: http://www.shrockworks.com/Suzuki-Samurai-Rock-Sliders-Rock-Rails-Rocker-Protection-pr-16143.html
Zuki addict. I have five zuks right now and not even thinking about stopping.
87 Sami tin top
91 4 door SOLD
93 4 door
95 4 door
95 Geo 2dr V6
keep them coming

Offline goodyz

• Turdzuki.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 05:13:35 AM »
I dont know how the sammi compairs to the trackick, but look at these sammi slidders by Shrockworks: http://www.shrockworks.com/Suzuki-Samurai-Rock-Sliders-Rock-Rails-Rocker-Protection-pr-16143.html

Those are beautiful, but as far as I know there is nothing available to bolt on to a Sidekick body, just frame mount, which suck cause they hang too low.
-goodyz