Hello Guest

Transfer case swap, gears

• 32 Replies

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« on: September 12, 2009, 01:36:58 AM »
Hey guys I'm looking for low range gears for my 90 Tracker 2dr.  So far I've found
Calmini's 4.24:1 low range kit
Trail Tough's 4.24:1 low range kit
Does anyone know of anything else on the market currently?  I couldn't find anything else.
Which is better?  

Also, what about these lockers Trail Tough is selling on a special right now?  
http://www.trailtough.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=240&category_id=46&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53
I didn't know Detroit made Suzuki lockers.  What are they and how do they compare to a LockRight and such?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 12:41:04 PM by djlantis57 »
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
Re: Sidekick/Tracker 4LO low range kits, and a locker question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 04:34:20 AM »
The Detroit EZ locker will preform about the same as a Lock-Rite. They both function the same way and are comparable in quality. I had both in my last kick and had years of dependable use out of them.

Both of the gear sets you are looking at for the T-case are good quality stuff. The main difference in the two: I think Trail Tough offers a 'set up in the case' option so all you need to do is put the t-case in the truck.

HTH,
Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline LilRed

• Webshots Photopage
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 05:32:55 AM »
Since yours is a 90 model, you will need to find a later model tcase to install the gears into, then swap tcases with yours as they only fit 91 & up supposedly.  But then you will have your original tcase as backup if needed.  Its worth it, you'll love them.  Second best mod I've done.  Rear locker was the best!
some clips from The Wishbone Ranch
http://www.youtube.com/user/KyLilRed

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 02:47:24 PM »
Lilred you're right, Brent at TT said they are 91-98 only.  Does anyone know why this is the case (no pun intended)?  And do Calmini's 4.24 gears fit in the older cases or 91-98 only.  I've heard more good things abotu TT gears as being quieter.  Probably since they are made by the OEM.  But why are the cases different?
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 05:49:35 PM »
Lilred you're right, Brent at TT said they are 91-98 only.  Does anyone know why this is the case (no pun intended)?  And do Calmini's 4.24 gears fit in the older cases or 91-98 only.  I've heard more good things abotu TT gears as being quieter.  Probably since they are made by the OEM.  But why are the cases different?

Supposedly, the earlier tcases are made slightly different on the inside.  I've never taken both apart and compared them though, to see exactly where/what the difference is.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 12:40:45 PM »
I found that with either Trail Tough OR Calmini, I have to get a 91-98 case.  My 90 won't work :(
But is it doable to swap in a Samurai case?  Or do they just not match up to the trans like a Sidekick/Tracker case will?  I'm not much of a fabricator, so anything major is out of the question, cause I wouldn't trust myself doing it, and wouldn't want to shell out the cash for someone else to do it.  
Let me know if any of you all have put a Samurai case into a Sidekick/Tracker and how you did it.  

ALSO
Does the 91-98 case require any modifications to install it in an older (pre-91) Sidekick/Tracker???  Mine is a 90 Tracker LSi 5spd trans.  Or are they just different internally only?

Both of the gear sets you are looking at for the T-case are good quality stuff. The main difference in the two: I think Trail Tough offers a 'set up in the case' option so all you need to do is put the t-case in the truck.
HTH,
Zig
BTW I did some research here and you're right Zig.  Calmini said they do not offered set-up cases, Trail Tough will do it for $995, plus you pay shipping both ways.  They seem like a helluva deal...if I had the right case.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 12:44:07 PM by djlantis57 »

Offline cmays03

Re: Transfer case swap, gears
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 02:29:54 PM »
its not that hard to do the gear swap yourself if your mechanically inclined. only thing is that you will have to grind some of the case on the inside for the new gears to fit. but if your willing to pay them to do it then it would be a better idea. i'm sure they would warranty it too. as for the sami tcase they are divorced cases so you cant use them. I had a extra tcase but i ended up using it for parts. I'm looking a a tcase on another sight for sale but i dont know the year of the tracker yet. I dont know what the difference is in the tcase's in the years. I have owned a few trackers but they were all 91 or newer.
95 geo tracker sas with dana 30,35 axles 3.55 gears, 33 tsl's, 3 and 4 link suspension. stock motor trans, tcase has 4.24:1 reduction kit.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 04:19:04 PM »
The difference is not in the case housing it's self, but the cover, the later cover is a little longer on the gear side. you could just change the cover and install the gears, but what's the point, you still need the newer case for the cover.

I had a friend of mine cut my case with a fly cutter on his mill, came out real clean, and the gears
have about 1/16 of an inch clearance from the case.

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline cmays03

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 04:31:07 PM »
yeah that works if you have access to that machine. I could have if i still worked at a machine shop but thats getting hard to do in the state of michigan. i just did it with a die grinder and a carbide bit. either way it works.
95 geo tracker sas with dana 30,35 axles 3.55 gears, 33 tsl's, 3 and 4 link suspension. stock motor trans, tcase has 4.24:1 reduction kit.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 08:01:42 PM »
The difference is not in the case housing it's self, but the cover, the later cover is a little longer on the gear side. you could just change the cover and install the gears, but what's the point, you still need the newer case for the cover.

I had a friend of mine cut my case with a fly cutter on his mill, came out real clean, and the gears
have about 1/16 of an inch clearance from the case.

Wild

What are you calling the cover?

Offline dustybadlands

• dustybadlands treeslammer
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 05:52:19 PM »
Cover? Everyone but us MARINES calls 'em "hats"! Dawgonnit! I just bought a 90 tranny & T-case! Couldn't pass up the $50 tag on it! ;)
"If nuthin' changes, nuthin changes. Do what ya  always did, get what ya  always got !"

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 01:27:45 AM »
I need to find time to price one from my local junkyards.  Bigzuki sold his 4dr but still has the '96 case, he says.  I wonder if I can get it from him and have it shipped directly to Trail Tough for the gear install instead of shipping it myself...but dang that's still a long time ahead till I plan on doing this...oh well it depends on what's on the market by the time I get around to the gears... want to do them now though :(

Offline cmays03

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 02:57:49 AM »
just to let you know. I have that kit and was running 5.12 gears in the axles with 31's. in low lock and 3rd gear i could only do 15 mph at 4000 but i could turn the crap out of the tires. I really needed to drop it down to the 4.62 or the 4.3 gears. I have 3.55 and running 33's on it now with a solid axle and i tested it last sunday and it is working pretty good. its spinning the tires really good. I thought the 3.55 would be to high but i guess not. i will see what it does this sunday i will get on it a little harder this time.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 07:24:27 AM »
I need to find time to price one from my local junkyards.  Bigzuki sold his 4dr but still has the '96 case, he says.  I wonder if I can get it from him and have it shipped directly to Trail Tough for the gear install instead of shipping it myself...but dang that's still a long time ahead till I plan on doing this...oh well it depends on what's on the market by the time I get around to the gears... want to do them now though :(

Be aware that a 96 tcase has a different spline output shaft.  So you will either have to swap in an earlier output shaft or use a slip yoke off a 96 or newer driveshaft on your driveshaft (or just use a complete driveshaft from a 96 or newer....just be sure they are the same length, since there are several different lengths of driveshafts for trackicks).

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 11:57:37 PM »
The cover is the front part that bolts on and is attached to the transmission.
It's pretty flat, only about 1-1/2 inches thick.

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.