Hello Guest

Leaf Spring Swap on a 90 Samurai

• 4 Replies

Leaf Spring Swap on a 90 Samurai
« on: September 19, 2009, 10:52:15 PM »
Hello all,
I have been reading a few posts about doing a spring switch. My Sami's springs have seen better days, and I am thinking about getting things a bit better. The fronts are actually starting to bend the wrong way. I read that it is possible to put the rears on the front, and then put jeep cj springs on the rear? I was wondering if there is any modifications I would have to do to make this work? I have access to quite a few older jeep parts, and am wondering what year jeeps would work? What all is involved in the switch? I would like to do this as funds are short and I could get the Jeep springs for next to nothing. Will this improve road ride or any off road capabilities? Thanks for any help! Steve

Re: Leaf Spring Swap on a 90 Samurai
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 09:03:50 AM »
Ride and offroad ability are greatly improved. what makes it better is that the leafs are longer and will flex better. The  problem with doing this swap is that your stock sping mounts will need to move as the springs are longer. It is a good time to do a front shackle revesal. You will also need to cut and lengthen your front driveline because the spring pack bolt will locate your axle about 2 in forward, which is a good thing. If you want the axle in stock location you will need to drill a new blot hole about 2 in rear of the current position, but moving you alxe foreward is betterif you are going or curently running tires over 31" . I have done the sammy rear to front swap and it was pretty easy. I was going to dot the jeep spring in the rear but it seems a little sac relig and I am going to build a three link coil over.

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 11:12:48 AM »
You can also buy a "Rear Up Front" (RUF) kit from many of the vender that advertise here at zukiworld.com.  The kit comes with a set of mounting plates and bolts  that move the rear attachment back to compensate for the length of the Samurai rear springs.  Hopefully, it also comes with instructions on how to keep you wheelbase stock by drilling a new guide pin hole in the spring pack.

I have this arrangement and it, at least, got rid of the inverted arch of the stock front springs.  I didn't notice any big ride improvement, though.  I AM happy with it, though!

I Hope that this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 10:24:37 PM »
I did the RUF but also slid my axle forward and saw quite a big change.  Then again, I was running SJ-410 springs and they may have been stiffer then stock Sammy springs (SJ-413).

Didn't they soften the springs up in 88 as well?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 02:07:38 PM »
I did the RUF but also slid my axle forward and saw quite a big change.  Then again, I was running SJ-410 springs and they may have been stiffer then stock Sammy springs (SJ-413).

Didn't they soften the springs up in 88 as well?

In either 88.5 or 90, they changed the spring rate.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.