Hello Guest

87 sammie high idle after gets up to temp.

• 5 Replies

Offline dirtzero

87 sammie high idle after gets up to temp.
« on: October 28, 2009, 08:22:11 AM »
I am building my sammie into a mud machine. Now it runs great except for its idle issue. The choke comes on fine when u start it up then it will idle down but once she gets a little heat in her it will idle at 2500 sometimes as high as 3000. Bliping the throtle does absolutly noting. The gas pedal is not stuck er noting like that. It runs good. Any ideas I was thinking about replacing all the carb vacum lines thinking there is a leak. The sammie smokes but once it gets warmed up it quits. It starts easier then my daily driver but the idle has me puzzeled. any ideas?

thanks jordan

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: 87 sammie high idle after gets up to temp.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 08:49:47 AM »
I am building my sammie into a mud machine. Now it runs great except for its idle issue. The choke comes on fine when u start it up then it will idle down but once she gets a little heat in her it will idle at 2500 sometimes as high as 3000. Bliping the throtle does absolutly noting. The gas pedal is not stuck er noting like that. It runs good. Any ideas I was thinking about replacing all the carb vacum lines thinking there is a leak. The sammie smokes but once it gets warmed up it quits. It starts easier then my daily driver but the idle has me puzzeled. any ideas?

thanks jordan

There are two idle adjustment screws on a stock carburator. One that is very easy to see and at the back of the carburator, that is the cold or high idle adjustment. The second one is at the base of the carburator and is the warm adjustment. Many people make the mistake of over twisting the cold adjustment and then when the vehicle gets warm it doesn't slow down. A third idle issue can come from the idle up circuit that is adjusted at the back of the carburator and is a flat bolt head that pushes the throttle plate to give a high idle. this comes on when any accesories is turned on. I usually back that all the way off so I don't have that 'feature'...

Try searching for this topic. I think there is a thread that has some pictures of the adjustment screws if you need more information.

Good luck, Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline dirtzero

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 12:04:57 PM »
thanks anyone have any pics of where the needles are I dont have a manual and I cant seem to find any pics.

thanks im totally new to the sammie scene so bear with me.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »
Ok, here's a couple of diagrams that show the adjustments... Once you get out to your vehicle, you'll see them and it'll make sense...

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline jaunty

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 10:20:38 AM »
i dont know if this is your problem but i actually unplugged the green plug, near the front of the carb and my idle is really smooth and low now.  no more idle up stuff... although a little bit of idle down when i turn lights on.

I suppose if you unplug this and that problem goes away then you found it.

get an FSM, too
www.suzukiinfo.com

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 07:24:21 PM »
i believe that uses a hot water choke....
an air bubble in the cooling system can cause this.
is the cooling lines at the carb hot to the touch after warm up?