Hello Guest

Steveo's Gonna Rip You A New One

• 14 Replies

Offline steveofrost

• '91 SS JLX 4-Door
Steveo's Gonna Rip You A New One
« on: July 05, 2004, 03:31:37 PM »
So I go for a holiday and just as I'm leaving town I get this brainiac idea to go change my oil and oil filter. My wife tells me that she always has gone to SuperLube to get her oil changed and tells me their real fast. So I say o.k. since I don't have a lot of time (running late to start the trip as is...) and I take it in. Sure they're quick, they do a air filter check and all that stuff and when the kid (seriously, like 16 yrs old) is putting on my air box cover, he strips the screws. Alright, no big deal, but I'm feeling a little nervous.... Anyway, so they finish up and I pull out of there and like an idiot I don't check the invoice to see what they put in my car or what filter.

Well you can see where this is going... I'm on the road and sure enough, I smell engine oil burning under the hood near the exhaust. I'm like, hmmm maybe its just the new filter and I do leak a bit. So here I am at my destination (drove over 1200km) and I fill up and check my oil. I'm down a litre and like :o . I look closely, trying not to choke on the fumes from my freshly burning oil and see that my entire undercarriage is covered in new oil. WTF!!! So I look and sure enough, the teenagers that changed my filter put in the wrong one, and yeah it was stripped as well! Then, I rush and check my invoice, and here they put a regular 5w30 oil in my car. I double check the filter and yup again, wrong one....

Sorry for the long story, just needed to talk about it. But hey, why stop there! So my alt. finally goes! bahahaha What a day! I'll save that epic for when I make it home.

Oh yeah, where do I get a new COIL?

steveo

Offline 1bigtracker

• F*** trail rated, try trail tested
Re: Steveo's Gonna Rip You A New One
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 03:36:59 PM »
wow sounds like a really bad trip,  and that last line makes it even worse.  sorry dude.

stu

Offline shoyrtt

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 04:50:56 PM »
I believe the SuperLubes of the world only hire pimple-faced 16 year olds. Maybe it was TITAN who changed your oil :o

Offline 1bigtracker

• F*** trail rated, try trail tested
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 06:12:37 PM »
I believe the SuperLubes of the world only hire pimple-faced 16 year olds.
:o

Offline steveofrost

• '91 SS JLX 4-Door
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 07:55:57 PM »
Well, its all in. 190 for the alternator and 27 bucks for the new belts. Freaky thing is, the Kick is runnin' better than ever! No more sounds when the a/c is turned up on high and no more sqeal when I fire it up after it has been sitting cold. Maybe its not so freaky, but man it feeks good to have new stuff under the hood.

steveo

p.s. wait for the update when I get back to Gp to pay a visit to the SuperLube. TITAN better watch out :))

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 12:58:39 AM »
Id bet dollars to doughnuts that the oil caused your alternator to go out. They dont like that too much. I hope they pay for all your parts and trouble.

Offline supazuk

• git 'er done!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 02:42:00 AM »
oil would be a major cause in the failure of the alt. in fact many parts places won't honor the warrenty of one if it is soaked in oil ( worked in quite a few till i joined the service)  I would raise hell at that oil lube place ...  I've only had one bad experiance, then again i've only had one experiance
listen to this I had a ford ranger witha rebuild tranny I put in It was bone dry so i over filled it to make sure it was lubed and took it done to the local lube shop to have it drained and refilled ( it was 5 degress out garage was a warmer 20 that farenheit!) I get there and the guy tries telling me that becase it was over filled my front pump will need to be replaced  (LOL) be for I go on I had changed at this pont ( i had a shirt and tie for a family party ) I shook my head and laughed  he asks what so funny ... I asked the the guy what a front pump was( acting stupid) he went on into detail...  after a while of listening to him tell me how i need a new tranny and a filter kit and blah blah blah ... I asked him when  did dord start putting front pumps and filter in manuals. then i droped the bomb on him .. the trany was a 4 weeks old and i put it in last night ... need less to say i walked out with a discount ... never went back !!!
shut up and wheel it.. sick of hearing oh my (fill in blank) stock can climb mountians yet the only off roading its seen is the curb their g/f ran over!

Offline JDMCRX

• 02 Grand Vitra Pimp lol
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 02:45:21 AM »
Yeah man i would go back and talk to them calm but they start dicking u fuckin raise fuckin hell and tell them u will bring the better business burel there
01 GRAND VITARA

JBAUTO LONGTUBE HEADERS AND 2.5" JBAUTO EXHAUST

New project H27 in the GV goal 200 Wheel Horse Power  JPB 1.75"front 2" rear Grand Vitra lifts  www.jbauto.ca[/url]

Crabzuki

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 08:47:12 AM »
Just reading this makes me scared to be the TITAN that did this, let alone the fact it was a teenie bopper that did you and didn't kiss you good-bye after he screwed you. (j/k) I would definitely put the screws to the outfit that botched a simple oil change.  :o

Offline steveofrost

• '91 SS JLX 4-Door
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 01:31:56 PM »
Thanks guys for all the support, I was furious with the oil thing. I'm back into GP on the 12th and as my 'ol friend Shakespeare always says, the shitteth shall hitteth the faneth.

I had no idea that oil soaking the alt. would cause trouble. It was covered pretty good cause the wrong filter and gap pissed oil all over the place. I usually do all my oil changes myself, but they are definately going to be paying a lot for this one. Whats worse about the whole ordeal is that I travel this far and my engine could have been gone halfway here!  >:(

All you TITANs watch out! Hey, still wondering though, where do I get a new COIL for the Zuke??

steveo

Offline Samurai_Hamster

• 87 Octane knocker of a motor.
    • Samurai Hamster
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 01:47:06 PM »
Once Guarantee auto in Indiana was doing an oil change.
With the oil totally drained out, the service guy said to the brain dead teenager, move that car off bay three so we can get a 4x4 in there.  The lift in bay three was heavy duty and could lift large trucks.  You would think that the "I could care less" teenager would PUSH THE CAR BACK OUT!  But no..................... ???

Well, the brainiac teenager who was doing the oil change, fired up the car, backed out knocking to beat all hell all the time.  Apparently all that knocking did not faze his fogged brain that something was very very wrong here.

He pulls the 4x4 in to bay three. Then, amazingly, he fires up the car again!  Then it died before he got it up to the next open bay.  Stumped, he tried to have it jumped.  no go.  He then comes to the brilliant conclusion that the starter failed so he writes up the invoice for a starter.
New starter installed.  Still no start.  Barely cranks.  In a fit of moronicitis, they decide to hook a 24volt battery to the car.  Attempts to start the car results in the engine wiring harness going up in smoke.  Now they are really f****.  So next they decide the alternator sh*t itself and proceed to replace that as well!   Then the voltage regulator.  

After all their fuc*ups, they still they wrote up the bill for a new starter, new battery , new main battery harness, alternator, volt regulator plus labor.  Needless to say, the owner was pissed as hell.  In between threats of physical harm to all involved as well as a whopper lawsuit, Guarantee Auto ends up putting in a new engine, new wiring, new starter, new battery, new alternator, repainted hood, (from the underhood fire) plus kicked the guy some cash for "pain and suffering".

Lesson......you want it done right, do it yourself!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 01:49:16 PM by samurai_hamster »
The Zuke is on its way out.  Getting a vehicle that will behave and be supported by the dealer.

Offline 90Stomper

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 01:48:01 PM »
the shitteth shall hitteth the faneth.

is that an electrith faneth, or a clutches faneth? ;D

i got a Blaster II coil from O'reilleys, any auto parts store should have a coil that will work for you.

those are both B-A-D stories that make my skin crawl too!!  i know there is always someone doing bargin oil changes but my advice is, buy a filter wrench and a good catch pan, save your old milk jugs for the bad stuff and do it yourself.  there are alot of auto parts stores around here that take old oil for free.

also, i put a strong magnet on the bottom of my oil pan next to the plug to gather the metal dust better, then take it off when i drain the pan.  it catches alot of stuff you would never know was going back through your motor!
2004 chevy tracker, 4door, V6
says 'Chevy' on the outside,
but its covered with lots of big 'S's on the inside ;)

Offline Maiden Hell

• MAIDEN HELL!
    • My Space
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 02:07:00 PM »
I can't beleive what I'm reading! These mother F'ers need beatings!! I always do my own work on my ride, and if I can't I take it to my trust worthy mechanic who I stand right beside the whole time while he works on my Zuk.

Give them HELL!!!!

Offline Agent Orange

• Trying to learn
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 02:15:10 PM »
The sad thing is, is that it's hard to find any shop to do quality work. I've taken my ride to an alignment shop twice, and they still can't get my steering wheel to sit straight. I prefer to do everything myself as I know I do quality work. I used to take my rig to a place called Mr. Lube. I took my cars there for years every 2000km for an oil change, with no problems. Then one day it was bought by a foreigner who replaced all the staff with his own kind "no offence". I take my tracker there a couple of times for oil changes, they cought on to me showng up every couple thousand kilometers. So one time I put a mark on the oil filter, and when I went in for a oil change, and left I later noticed they reused my filter. I went back chewed out the manager in front of customers called them every name in the book, and never gave them my business again. I now have a place I take my ride to get the oil changed who treat me like a customer. They know my name, they love my tracker, and they know all I want is the oil drained, a new filter, and fresh oil. I'm in and out in five minutes, but all other work I'd prefer to do myself.

It's getting harder, and harder to trust shops to treat you like a customer should be treated. It forces me to learn to do it myself, and keep them from getting my money. There loss not mine.

Offline explosivo

• I'm in the northern part of that one state.
    • omghi2u Gen. Discussion Forums
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 02:47:43 PM »
These stories are why I choose to take the 20 minutes of my time (1 minute actually under a vehicle) to change my own oil. Sheesh, that's just scary hearing about all the shit that these places do :o
omghi2.us[/url]
"Its a ZUKI thing. Doing more with less than less with more." -- HotRod