Hello Guest

Introduction - Show us your LJ!

• 21 Replies

Offline stevec

Re: Introduction - Show us your LJ!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »
Be careful - they're addicting.  It's hard to have just one; you always want another!
'71 LJ10 RHD
'72 LJ10
'72 LJ20V
'80 LJ81K
'86 Samurai

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 12:31:29 PM »
Complete newby to the lJ's which I have always admired...went in with a pal and bought this LJ10 which everyone has probably seen since the guy has had it for sale everywhere...Anyway, this one will be in California where I work on my cars, but I have two Samurai's in Alaska (Juneau) which I use regularly. I also have a Bantam BRC, the original jeep...and will say modestly that am somewhat of an expert on the development of the this jeep (and former president of the Austin Bantam Society).

Anyway...I was attracted to the Samurai's because they are so much like the original jeep in size, dimensions and power. What Is intriguing about the LJ's is that the 10 at least is almost EXACTLY the car specified by the Quartermasters Corps when it went out to bid for the jeep. The specifications were jointly drawn up by Harold Crist at Bantam and a QMC engineer named Bob Brown, but, the Army would not relent (maybe trying to get rid of Bantam) on the absurd weight limit of 1275 pounds for a car having the performance characteristics demanded. So, Bantam delivered a 1840 pound jeep, bbetting the Army would go for the performance which they did. However the bid specs want a 1275 pound car with a 75" wb, 16" wheels, 4x4, capable of carrying 3, able to make convoy speeds of 50mph and 30-40 hp...Sound familiar? It took 30 years and 3 wars before the LJ's came along. In any case it wouldn't have been as effective as what Bantam came up with...a Samurai with thicker metal and less civilian stuff...Anyway, I look forward to following the forum.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »
I just read a book about the Hopestar On that mentioned that it matched the original Jeep requirements.  Weird.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline pidder

• 88.5 samurai, homemade bumpers, rock sliders,spoa
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 07:31:05 PM »
here's my 1980 lj81.  spring over lift, 4 wheel disc brakes, sj410 front knuckles with the locking hubs.  3:1 transfer case, f10a motor and lockright locker in the rear. 

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 11:27:56 AM »
Very Sweet LJ pickup. thanks for sharing that picture!

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline zeus

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 07:58:35 PM »
Here's the frame-off restored 1979 LJ80 that I just purchased. Still looking for up-sized tire options and specs for what else may fit the stock rims. Need larger over-all tire diameter in order to eek out a slightly higher top speed for highway use. 100 kms per hour with a tail wind just doesn't cut it.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 02:35:43 PM »
Cool ride!
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!