Hello Guest

turning my headlights off perm.

• 7 Replies

Offline Bfunk

turning my headlights off perm.
« on: September 21, 2010, 11:56:28 AM »
I just got a 98 tracker and am wondering if anyone what wire to cut to make the headlights not come on when I take the parking brake off?  I have 3 wires going to the bulb, 1 is constant, 1 is on off(highbeam made no differnce) and 1  had about 6 -7 volts all the time.  The lights work in all modes, but when I put me tester on the plug I just got more confused ???  Nayone witha wiring diagram would be a big help.  The only reason I want them off is so when I start wheeling this thing the pictures turn out good ;)
Brian

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: turning my headlights off perm.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 12:08:09 PM »
What you are looking to do is disable the daytime running lights.  You may have the same setup as my 96.  Check back and to the left of your clutch pedal.  Is there a small black box there?  If so remove the plug and see if that disables your daytime running lights and the low beams.  If that works then go ahead and remove the #7 pin, black with a white stripe next to the unused plug.  That is the line to turn on your daytime running lights.  Re-connect the plug after and your low beams should still work fine.

Do not just cut one of your headlight wires.  This will disable your low beams and you will have to run on high beams only which is illegal in most areas.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 07:46:49 PM »
I know on my family's old 97 Chevy tahoe, the DRLs would come on whenever the parking brake was applied, no other way to shut them off...so the trick I learned is to apply the parking brake pedal just enough to hit that switch.  Usually only one or two clicks away from the full release position...it shuts the lights off, and isn't applied far enough at all to actually have dragging brakes.  The indicator light will show up, but if you can live with that, go for it.  I know on my 90 Tracker I can pull up on the parking brake lever one click and the "BRAKE" light will show up, but the brakes aren't actually applied, the microswitch is "fooling" the electrical system into thinking it is.
If that works for you, it's more temporary and doesn't require you to delve into any wiring.
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Bfunk

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:52:05 AM »
I know on my family's old 97 Chevy tahoe, the DRLs would come on whenever the parking brake was applied, no other way to shut them off...so the trick I learned is to apply the parking brake pedal just enough to hit that switch.  Usually only one or two clicks away from the full release position...it shuts the lights off, and isn't applied far enough at all to actually have dragging brakes.  The indicator light will show up, but if you can live with that, go for it.  I know on my 90 Tracker I can pull up on the parking brake lever one click and the "BRAKE" light will show up, but the brakes aren't actually applied, the microswitch is "fooling" the electrical system into thinking it is.
If that works for you, it's more temporary and doesn't require you to delve into any wiring.

I was looking for more of a proper fix.  I like knowing if there might be a brake issue before I push the pedel.  I'll look under the dash to today.
Brian

Offline Bfunk

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 09:50:01 AM »
Ok I looked and can see no little black box.  I see nothing that would make any sense to disable the lights.  Any one have a wire diagram for a 98 tracker ??? 
Brian

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:37:44 PM »
Is yours a 98 Tracker or a 98 Tracker Sport?
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Bfunk

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:45:44 PM »
chevy tracker
Brian

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 03:34:48 PM »
They are usually behind the dash to the right of the steering column or behind the dash to the left.  There is nothing on the firewall next to the clutch pedal huh?

I'll see if I can track down a diagram showing there the DRL module is on a 98.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing