Hello Guest

Zukiworld Feature Article: Project ZR3

• 62 Replies

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Zukiworld Feature Article: Project ZR3
« on: November 04, 2010, 06:01:55 AM »
Mike Hagen is at it again. He has just completed the first stage of Project ZR3. His goals were to have no aftermarket parts added at the completion of the first stage and to use what Suzuki already had available, just massaged and changed a bit in configuration. He has created quite a nice off-road all purpose vehicle and just like Mike he has already decided on a few more upgrades and modifications to be done in the near future. He's going to put a locker in the XL7 rear-end and the front is going to get a second frame chop between the rear of the front control arms and front diff raise.

Minneapolis, MN - Last Year I bought a 2001 Chevrolet Tracker from the classifieds right here on ZW. It was rough and I knew it, but it ran and drove, so it had to be worth $800 right? A couple hundred miles later the motor let go in a big way.  I was bummed at first but after I got over my flawed investment I decided to turn a lemon into lemonade. It has always frustrated me that Chevrolet / Suzuki had all the key components to putting a great off-road package together for the Tracker/Vitara but never did. The closest they ever came was the ZR2 which, in my opinion, fell way short. I would have built a 2 door with, a V6, steel front diff, the much larger XL7 rear diff, XL7 brakes, 5.12 gear ratio and 33 inch tire. I decided to do just that. This is where the Project ZR3 begins.

http://www.zukiworld.com/month_110110/feature_project-zr3-the-way-a-tracker-should-have-been-built.htm
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline heiney.5

Re: Zukiworld Feature Article: Project ZR3
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:50:05 AM »
I like the build Hagen. Just as I was starting to lean to a 4door you have me thinking about frame chopping......

Kudos on the road trip. That is impressive, not only the stablity of the rig, but the fact you fit a family of four in it. Those newer models most have more room. ;) No way would I have fit all my luggage.
Difficult takes a day. Impossible takes a week.

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:22:57 AM »
nice build!

Could someone tell me about the left car on the pic?  Is there any info? ;)

Offline heiney.5

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 08:28:08 AM »
Thats Zukipilots newer rig. Liberty-Overland built it, there are some threads and I know this article too:

http://www.zukiworld.com/month_020109/feature_suzuki-sidekick-build-up.htm
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:30:14 AM by heiney.5 »
Difficult takes a day. Impossible takes a week.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 11:27:36 AM »
BRD HNTR has been looking at the frame drop for a while now.  Now we will really have to look into it.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline brenzuk

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 12:20:48 PM »
With the first generation trackers and sidekicks aging I think the second generations are gonna become more popular.  I almost bought a rough 01 2 door soft top locally.  I REALLY like the all Suzuki all parts bin idea.  Its too bad THEY didnt build this for the market.

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 01:32:50 PM »
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline zuksofhazzard

• them darn Zuk boys
    • MOAB PICS
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 05:14:03 PM »
Mike, You are One Heck of a Guy!

These Quick Builds that put Out Great Rigs... Amazing!

Very Nice...

And yeah, Let me guess, You're gonna be in the Ultimate Adventure with the Sleeper???

Win One for the Suzukis!!!

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 08:36:20 PM »
Just $3,100 into it, eh?  Well I'll give you $3,500 now.  Hey, it's $400 profit!

Okay, fine, $4,000?

:P

Great build.  It looks great, and with all that upgraded drivetrain it sounds like it will hold up nicely.  Mike has a tendency to beat up on his toys, so I've heard...so I'm sure it's been well-thought out to hold up to normal abuse
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 08:39:53 PM »

Kudos on the road trip. That is impressive, not only the stablity of the rig, but the fact you fit a family of four in it. Those newer models most have more room. ;) No way would I have fit all my luggage.

While I do believe that the newer body style is a tad larger I have done the same trip 3 times before in my first gen.

Its all about the packing. You can fit 3 of the mid size luggage (the largest you can use for carry on) behind the back seat in both first and second gen tracker. Extra shoes, pillows and stuff will also fit between the seat and luggage. On this trip I actually had put a middle seatbelt in from the GV and hauled my niece home from Florida. So it was actually 5 of us for 2500 miles. ;) We stopped at the post office and mailed one of our suitcases home so we could fit her luggage. I do the same thing on my motorcycle trips.
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 03:36:14 AM »
 Once again Mr. Hagen manages to surprise us with another quality, quick-build. He does these things like my kids do Legos- quickly and well. Just more to stuff to show my Tracker and let it dream about...  :sleepy:  :)

Offline Frank84

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 07:10:48 AM »
That's awesome, I love it!  Very creative on the frame chop and rear suspension.  I have the same truck only in black and that certainly tempts me to build it up a bit.
2001 2 Door Tracker, 4x4, 2.0, 5 speed, 215/75/15
Jeff's 2" lift, OME shocks/struts, Sh*t on the fly removed, warn hubs

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 07:23:16 AM »
Great job Mike.... A very impressive rig once again.... Even more impresive seeing it in person  8) See ya this spring, if not earlier.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline epike7915

• Team Kamikaze 4x4
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »
Mike,
Do you have any more pix of the frame chop/drop?  I'd like to see some plating pix before paint.  Anything would be great.  Thanks!  (GREAT build by the way!)

Eric
TEAM KAMIKAZE 4x4:
88 Zuk-"LOCKJAW" 1.6 16v, Waggy D44's w/5.38's and full spools (ft & rr), 37" Iroks w/beadlocks, 6.5 to 1 T-case.  Full hydro steering coming soon.  Eternal work-in-progress!

Daily Driver: 2000 Tracker 4x4 w/ 2.0 4 cyl. & 5 speed. (How long will it stay stock??)

Offline sirmasterj

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 07:29:33 PM »
I had a major engine problem with my little 99 yacker.  The head gasket blew & I was wanting to attempt putting a v6 into mine.  Everyone told me not to do it, cause it would cost too much money.  I really wish that I would've done it instead of redoing the head gasket.  My little yacker has the coils in it from a v6 model grand v.  Since putting those coils in I've been able to put 235's under my baby but the ride is now compromised with the bigger springs.  It rides rougher but sure does look better.

Love how yours turned out Mike.  Gets me thinking about doing mine.  I love all the ideas everyone has onthis site.

Thanks,

Jason