Hello Guest

sidekick or samurai

• 17 Replies

Offline prerunnerinidaho

sidekick or samurai
« on: February 04, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »
It seams that the sidekick is the truck to build over the samurai. Is the straight axle the big diss advantage? I come from a desert racing background and understand the whole wheel travel thing over articulation. But I'm just wondering if with modern shock and leaf spring technology if a leaf build would be close enough to be competitive. I remember some pretty fast desert racing jeep CJ 5s and 7s in the 80s with just basic suspensions by today's standards.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: sidekick or samurai
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 12:03:15 AM »
Sidekicks are wider, independent front suspension, longer wheelbase and have more power stock.  And are usually cheaper.  That being said building a Samurai for racing would be pretty cool to see.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 07:20:15 AM »
A sami would be cool as hell to see out there, wouldn't want to ride in it though..

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 08:07:26 AM »
I think it could be done and could work well.  There are some inherent durability issues with the Sidekick front suspension that would be solved by the solid front axle.  The rules allow you to upgrade to a larger engine.

Offline prerunnerinidaho

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 01:54:52 PM »
I crew off and on with a PNW based class 7s ranger, so I'm used to a rule book limited race vehicle. The rule book allows allot of changes to a Sammy that should close up the side kick advantage. Desert racing is all about prep, set up,race strategy's and not over driving the truck. I think that a purpose built Sammy to the current limits of the rules would be competitive against the sidekick trucks. Has there been a Sammy raced in the series yet?                                                                     To quote Robert Duvall in days of thunder theres nothin stock about a stock car!

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »
No Sammy's yet.  I believe 2dog and I are the only ones to run 4wd rigs.  if you get rid of the front drive-train it makes it a lot easier to do things with the front suspension.  To be fair, we really haven't needed it and on the last race my front hubs stuck open so it ended up being 2wd anyway.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 04:13:08 PM »
I crew off and on with a PNW based class 7s ranger, so I'm used to a rule book limited race vehicle. The rule book allows allot of changes to a Sammy that should close up the side kick advantage. Desert racing is all about prep, set up,race strategy's and not over driving the truck. I think that a purpose built Sammy to the current limits of the rules would be competitive against the sidekick trucks. Has there been a Sammy raced in the series yet?                                                                     To quote Robert Duvall in days of thunder theres nothin stock about a stock car!

Hi prerunnerinidaho, I'd really like to see a Samurai compete. I too think that the rules should make it possible for some parity between all of the Suzuki models... please check your PMs...

Thanks, Eric
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 05:29:11 PM by ebewley »
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline prerunnerinidaho

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »

Hi prerunnerinidaho, I'd really like to see a Samurai compete. I too think that the rules should make it possible for some parity between all of the Suzuki models... please check your PMs...

Thanks, Eric
[/quote                                                                                                                                                                 Eric check your PMs I just sent you my number  mike

Offline prerunnerinidaho

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 06:23:12 PM »
Well heres the future sammy racer. 2 owner 87 that spent most of it's life on a towbar.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 12:05:48 PM »
If I find you one in worse shape can we trade?  :D
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline prerunnerinidaho

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 02:23:34 PM »
If I find you one in worse shape can we trade?  :D
Sorry this one was my dads. He always wanted to build it up, but he wouldn't park it long enough. We lost him last July so this build will be in his memory.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 07:50:25 PM »
It's going to be pretty fun racing against you then.  :)
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline prerunnerinidaho

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 08:16:14 PM »
It's going to be pretty fun racing against you then.  :)
                                                                                                                                                                       I hope so. I've got a few things to discus with Eric about how I'm interpreting the rules.Or if I'm thinking to far outside the box or just in the very corner.

Offline MrBracket

• moto-mule.com
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 04:42:15 PM »
Hi PreRunnerInIdaho!  It too want to push the envelope with the front suspension...  When I get a car i'll be sure and post a buildup thread, can't wait to see yours!!!!

Offline prerunnerinidaho

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 06:23:54 PM »
If I can get my ideas outta my head and built, I should be in the 16 to 20 inch travel range on both ends strapped on coils. I will probably wait till the snow is gone here in north Idaho, as this is distracting me every time I head out to the shop.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:25:35 PM by prerunnerinidaho »