Hello Guest

Project * DezKick * Zukiworld Challenge Desert Racer

• 41 Replies

Offline MrBracket

• moto-mule.com
Project * DezKick * Zukiworld Challenge Desert Racer
« on: February 12, 2011, 06:42:08 PM »
The adventure begins!! Picked up a nice moldy geo tracker today!! Thanks Eric.  It's a 1997 2wd 5spd with the snappy 16valve engine.  Got it home safe and sound despite the crazy winds on Interstate 5, saw a semi get pushed from the slow lane to the fast lane by the wind, SCARY!! But, that's a different story, this one is about the humble beginnings of a desert racing machine. 

Here it is!

She's not much to look at yet... well, she may never be, but I'm gonna be grinnin ear to ear despite the bugs in my teeth in a few months!!! Stay tuned as this little rig becomes race ready....

Offline BRD HNTR

Re: Project * DezKick * Zukiworld Challenge Desert Racer
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 07:26:22 AM »
That trailer looks big enough to haul two racers.  I am going to enjoy your build.  It's going to be a good year.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline prerunnerinidaho

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 01:13:06 PM »
Sweet looks like a clean start. Now I need to get busy on the lone Sammy. We got those same high winds out of the south west here in north Idaho last night.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:15:49 PM by prerunnerinidaho »

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 05:38:04 PM »
We gonna have a few cars this year! Very cool man. Glad to see so many people getting into this. I saw your post this morning and felt obligated to start ordering parts and go work on my car.

Offline MrBracket

• moto-mule.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 09:20:30 AM »

Offline Bigzook

• Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 12:49:51 PM »
Hmmm, should I be nice or competitive? OK I will be nice, Rethink the T-case. I can tell you that even with suspension and a 16v you will have a hard time without the low range option. I run the same size tires and found the power to be lacking. I could barley catch a 8 valve car that had a t-case on the straights. I put a T-case in for the next race and was able to catch and pass everyone within the 1st lap.

Also, test test test. It sucks to find the weakness of your car during the race. Mine was the axle(like yours) Although, it took quite a beating before it broke. I had won the 1st race, was in 1st place, and thought I would try to set a fast lap. A lot of full throttle over washboards and jumps, coupled with the t-case gears, is what led to my broken axle I think.

Anyway, just trying to pass what little experience I have along. Good luck and I look forward to the build. Don't forget to introduce your team and post a build thread in the Zukiworld Challenge section.
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/race-team-introductions-information/

As for the fuel cell and apparel, I got my Fuel cell from Summit(cheap shipping) and all my apparel from www.saferacer.com

Your rear differential will accept the older axles. This is what I did when the axle broke. I even changed over the brake backing plates to retain the newer style brakes. I do not think you will need the bigger 4 door brakes, my car stops very quick.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:56:27 PM by Bigzook »

Offline MrBracket

• moto-mule.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 07:31:42 PM »
Thanks Bigzook! I can't wait to Test Test Test!! The main reason I think I can get away with no transfer case is the different format for the races this year... It sounds like tracks in the past were tight motorcross type tracks and this year it sounds more like wide open desert?? 

Do you cover the fuel cell intstall in your build thread? Curious to see what you did for the fuel pump??

Thanks again for bein nice, I expect you to be more competitive come race day!  ;)

Offline Bigzook

• Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 09:23:27 AM »
I have not installed my fuel cell yet, It is supposed to arrive Friday. For the fuel pump I just bought a after market in line pump. I wanted to use the factory pump in the cell but, due to budget constraints I could not. I will be taking my car to a local fabricator(Kustom Kreations) to do the Cell install as well as some other changes soon.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 10:10:14 PM »
For the 4-door brake swap on the front all you need is the calipers and the rotors.  Another advantage, besides the larger brakes, is that the 4 door front rotors are vented.  I was able to feel quite a bit of brake fade as the race wore on, but that is probably part of my driving style and may have just been the brake fluid overheating.  So don't forget to get the high-temp brake fluid. 

Keep up the build notes.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Bigzook

• Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 02:06:17 PM »
Really? Well maybe I need to use my brakes more huh? ;D

Offline MrBracket

• moto-mule.com
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 08:17:11 PM »
I got a few hours to work on the racer today!!

Pulled it into the shop:

If you could see the mold..... YUCK!!

There was actually a rear seat under all that crap...

Removed about 687 pounds of wet carpet and moldy panels.... (just kidding, don't know the weight)

Looking better..

Offline KBC

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 10:01:39 PM »
Thanks Mike for telling me about this. Now you got me thinking about doing a build......
This sounds like a damn good time. Call or txt me when you need a hand.

Offline MrBracket

• moto-mule.com
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 08:49:53 AM »
Thanks Mike for telling me about this. Now you got me thinking about doing a build......
This sounds like a damn good time. Call or txt me when you need a hand.
Ha Ha! Told you it looked fun!!!  I got to pop your Zukiworld Cherry, got your first post... LOL...

I'm gonna tear into my wiring harness next so I will better understand it. 

Then it's time to get some seats and seatbelts ordered and build a cage!!!!!  ;D

Offline KBC

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 10:13:58 AM »
Yep my cherry's poped! Im really excited, just need to find me a 4x4 2 or 4 door sidekick. I have to go look at a house this morn but I will come over after, and check out your beast.

Offline Jluck

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 04:21:06 PM »
dare to be different....get a 4 door, thats what I am going to race if I get that far! ;D
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!