Hello Guest

Zukfari in May proposal

• 31 Replies

Offline schaney

Re: Zukfari in May proposal
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 07:28:45 AM »

Between weather (both there and on the 1000 mile drive) and the EJS crowds, I'd have a much higher probability of going in May.  Actually Moab is normally a side trip for us when we go to the San Juans in CO, so late August / early Sept is when I've gone in the past.
Scott Chaney
Owner www.compactcampingconcepts.com
Trailer Supported Adventuring expert

Offline goodyz

• Turdzuki.
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 09:40:20 AM »
Just got home from Moab, Dinosaur Monument, Yellowstone.  All of it had SNOW, and I still had a blast.  As a first timer, EJS was not as big a deal as I thought it would be.  I will try to make it again next year for Zukfari, but have another commitment for May 13th (it won't take as long to get home next year).  Another thought for next year, maybe more of the campers could gather in the same campground, that would give us a little more face time, and support for repairs, runs, meals, etc.

I really like this idea! All those who camp should get organized ahead of time and reserve spots in the same campground.
-goodyz

Offline goodyz

• Turdzuki.
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 09:44:59 AM »
I would also support a May Zukfari.  I get tired of dealing with closed trails when I have traveled 1100 miles to explore them.  The crowds at Potato Salad Hill are the only thing I would miss.  ;)

I second that. Watching people bust their junk and roll on potato salad hill is fun, but I could do with out it to have better weather, less crowds and basically having all trails at our disposal-no working our schedule around all the jeepers.
-goodyz

Offline Jonny Rash

• Too many Samurais, too little time
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »
The high temps this Memorial Day weekend are all in the mid-80s at Moab. A good 15 degrees warmer than it was back during EJS.
25+ years of Samurai ownership!

Offline Hawkeye Huey

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 10:23:30 AM »
I would support a non- EJS alternative.  Where there is a designated campground and it could be totally our own baby.
1990 GEO Tracker hardtop, 3" bod, 3.5"susp, rebuilt engine, Hawk SS torquer cam,Thorley tri-y 2 1/2" pipe, TT rockmonster T-case, Lockright F/R, 5:38 R/P, Pro-comp series 51 wheels 31" GY MTR's

Offline Jonny Rash

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
I agree!  8)

I've been watching the Moab temps all this summer and days above 100 degrees have been few and far between.  We've been much hotter in Oklahoma this summer.  So, if we pushed it out even into summer, it might not be too bad.

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 01:27:47 PM »
This year was an odd year for weather.  Trust me, when I lived in Moab it was hot as hell during the summer with most days above 100.

It's been years since i have been to Moab for the EJS.  Now that I have a Suzuki, I will either go during that time or when a bunch of people are gathering.  I love the comrodery.

It's 832 miles from my front door to my moms house in Moab.  It's normally a 1 day trip with lots of time to spare.

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

Offline Jonny Rash

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »
Yeah, but it's a dry heat and on Memorial Day weekend, Moab isn't that hot.   8)  It looks like some other Suzuki vendors had a run that weekend too.  I say, let's all get together for one big bash.

This past summer Oklahoma was hotter than Moab by a longshot.  We had several days of temps above 110 and many days above 100 degrees.  By contrast Moab had only a few days above 100-I checked them quite often on my Iphone.  The weather there now is even quite nice-upper80s to lower 90s for highs.

Offline jason hutchison

• ZUKIWORLD Staff
    • ZUKIWORLD Online
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 03:56:04 PM »
Honestly for those of us west coasters.. there is quite a vendor turn out at the KOH race in Feb.. To turn around and travel to moab 2 months later based on the vendor section is really not a draw.. I usually don't attend for more than a couple hrs.. there is customer appreciation runs based on some of the bigger vendors but those are usually invite only so again not a real draw. There is usually a rockcrawl comp on the weekend but I am usually traveling home and do not attend. Later in the year would also open up camping as an option and for those of us that are cold blooded could be coaxed back outside with a warmer date.

I am in favor of an alternate date for the Moab trip.. But again the success of this would be a uniting of the many enthusiast/boards/vendors etc to do a Zuk event on a select weekend or maybe teaming up with our metric brethren the Toyota's.  30 to 50 zuk rigs minimum...

Memorial day could be a fun time it is a holiday weekend and it will be crowded..

2011 memorial day moab happenings...
http://www.desertrocks.org/ - actually held at area BFE... AKA hippie jam..
ZOR - Lowrange event
grandslam - jeep grand cherokee event was either 2010 or 2011

another topic... the police...I can't figure out if they are more lenient or more strict during EJS... there something to be said about safety in numbers but also are the police more on point... hard to tell..

One final parting thought, if we change the date and go wheeling a different week... It will still be an awesome time wheeling, and there will be other groups in moab doing the same thing..

Hutch

Offline jason hutchison

• ZUKIWORLD Staff
    • ZUKIWORLD Online
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 03:58:45 PM »
http://aprilaction.moabadventurechannel.com/

car show weekend of 4/27/12... looks to be alot of fun since we are all wrench heads to begin with...

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 07:46:51 PM »
Any given weekend there is something going on in Moab. 

Just don't make the trip during hunting season, the locals are less forging during that time.  In fact, my Grandfather has a bumper sticker that reads, "Since they call it tourist season, does that mean we can shoot them?"

As far as the local authorities, they are just like any other jurisdiction.  The law enforcement changes just like the weather, one day its brutal and the next its wonderful.  I'm not aware if there are any major law enfocement initiatives during EJS.

Next year during Memorial day weekend will be out for me, one of my kids is graduating HS.

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

Offline FinishTheGame

• Rabbit Hunter
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 08:51:08 PM »
Im new to this forum and new to owning a Suzuki, i live in Florida and would love to drive up there, i have never been to any kind of organized 4x4 run, i used to ride a bobber and we would do the bike weeks, but never 4x4 runs.

I would love to travel, we camp every year around thanksgiving up near Gainesville and alot times it gets in the 20's at night.  And Florida is very dense so you can imagine how it feels, but we use heaters so its all good.

I would be in for something like that, i actually prefer small crowds as opposed to big events and crowds, and as for the vendors......i could care less.  Im more of a rider than a looker.

Anyways enough about me.

Hope this works out, the only thing that would hold me back is getting my zuk ready.
SJ-413   mild modifications

Offline FinishTheGame

• Rabbit Hunter
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 09:17:39 PM »
Wow, i should have looked at a map before saying i would go, lol, i typed a business address in Moab on main st. into my GPS, wow 2,270 miles, i will have to pass.

Do ya'll do anything closer to east coast or down in the south, Tennessee or Carolinas, Alabama?
SJ-413   mild modifications

Offline Jonny Rash

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 07:53:34 AM »
There are lots of runs on the east coast.  Just need to search out the local clubs. 

Offline Jonny Rash

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 08:01:07 AM »
The big benefit of having Suzuki vendors out there is that they bring spare parts for stuff that breaks!  Only Calmini showed up this year and they weren't even selling any parts.  ???

So if Zuk Offroad and Low Range are already doing a Memorial Day run, I say see lets roll both Suzuki events into one event.  The more Suzukis, the merrier.