Hello Guest

Increased traffic on the GV forums

• 3 Replies

Offline crewcabrob

Increased traffic on the GV forums
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:59:32 AM »
Hi all,

I've been looking for more forums on the GV so I can ramp up on my new vehicle knowledge.  Are there any other sites I should be visiting with more traffic daily?

Thanks,

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

joshty

Re: Increased traffic on the GV forums
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 10:22:44 AM »
I think you should stick with any one forum. I think here you can find all the information you want.

Online fordem

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 07:55:30 AM »
I'm going to disagree with Joshty - fora are groups of people sharing their opinions & experiences - the more sharing the better.  I've found some fora focus on repairs & maintenance (www.suzuki-forums.com), some place greater emphasis on modifications (this one), others on general usage (www.auszookers.com) - personally, I'm a member of a dozen or so automotive forums (mostly Suzuki, along with a few Mitsubishi - in addition to my GV, I have a Pajero iO) and visit half of them several times a day (I moderate two).

There's not that much information around on the 06+ GVs - I suspect because they're too new (and cost too much) for most of us to be beating on them, but there may also be a perception that they are "soft roaders", with monocoque chassis and all independent suspension.  I did consider one before buying the 98GV I have now, and to be quite honest, the more I learn about them, the happier I am that I bought the older model.

I am particularly troubled by the front suspension design, which in my opinion is better suited to a FWD sedan than an SUV - in fact, it's very similar to that found on the Mitsubishi Lancer and also a number of Toyotas - the rear bush on the control arm has a vertical orientation so that the up/downl movement of the wheel twists the rubber at two points, causing it to tear in a relatively short timeframe -  I've seen the arms changed on a number of stock (unlifted) vehicles that have never left the pavement (admittedly our roads are not that good) - lift the vehicle and it aggravates the problem - at least one Australian firm offers an aftermarket polyurethane bush that supposedly fixes the problem, but my suspicion is that the poly bush will also have a short life span (I believe it has a sliding motion in some areas, and once grit gets in there - and it will, given the location of the bush - wear will be the end result)

There's not that much stuff available - OME have springs and a front bar, they have been promising shocks & struts for some time now, I don't know of any lockers available.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 08:28:06 AM »
Thanks guys.

I'm in the process of selling the GV right now. I'm cutting back on things in my life while the kids go off to college.  I'm planning on DD'ing the Sami I have been building and will likely try to locate a tow rig for next year when other things in my life settle down.

I have had about 14 months with my GV and it has been flawless on and offroad for the things I asked it to do.  My stock wheels are back on as of yesterday.

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate