Hello Guest

What year GV to buy 06, 07 ,08?

• 19 Replies

Offline crewcabrob

Re: What year GV to buy 06, 07 ,08?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 08:46:39 AM »
By the way, the ARB is out for me.  Too heavy and too expensive for me to put on the front of the GV and personally I like the look of the front end right now. 

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

Online fordem

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 10:48:43 AM »
I just don't think the electrical on the GV could handle a 9000lb winch nor would I want to pull that much with my little truck.

Rob

Given the right circumstances your truck pulling itself could exceed 9000lb.

I've been curious as to how the electrical system on the new GV handles high power electrical loads - the charge system is under ECU control and the ECU monitors the electrical load by measuring the amp draw through the main fuse block.  A high power load, such as a winch, would have to bypass that fuse block, so that ECU wouldn't be aware of it, and as a result might not ramp the output up to compensate.

This "feature" would/could also impact an alternator upgrade - would your high output alternator have to be compatible with your ECU (or vice versa) and how easy would it be to locate a suitable unit?
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 11:44:23 AM »
I always had in mind that I would need to use at least one, maybe two snatch blocks for pulling out of a sticky situation.  Even with a 4000lb winch, I would be able to have the pulling power of 12000lbs.  It would certianly need to make use of a line extension, a couple of shackles as well as two blocks. 

One nice thing about the smaller side by side utility winches is the lower amp draw.  For the few occasions that I would ever need a winch, I think a set up like this could be perfect.  It would be small, light weight, affordable but yet still be there if I needed it. 

I see a lot of the Aussie guys running dual batteries.  I don't think I will ever get to the point, but for larger loads on the electrical system it sure would be nice to have.

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 10:17:23 AM »
I always had in mind that I would need to use at least one, maybe two snatch blocks for pulling out of a sticky situation.  Even with a 4000lb winch, I would be able to have the pulling power of 12000lbs.  It would certianly need to make use of a line extension, a couple of shackles as well as two blocks. 

One nice thing about the smaller side by side utility winches is the lower amp draw.  For the few occasions that I would ever need a winch, I think a set up like this could be perfect.  It would be small, light weight, affordable but yet still be there if I needed it. 

I see a lot of the Aussie guys running dual batteries.  I don't think I will ever get to the point, but for larger loads on the electrical system it sure would be nice to have.

Rob

So long as you keep the engine running while winching, you shouldn't have issues with the charging system.

- Andy
GO PREPARED! www.WARN.com
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/WARNfans
Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com/WarnIndustries

Online fordem

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 10:46:34 AM »

So long as you keep the engine running while winching, you shouldn't have issues with the charging system.

- Andy

Does this take into consideration what I mentioned earlier about an ECU controlled charge system?

I don't know how common these systems are, but I do know they are not unique to Suzuki as I recently picked up a Mitsubishi Pajero iO (a compact SUV not offered in North America) which has a similar alternator & charge system.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny