Hello Guest

Project White Rabbit

• 52 Replies

Offline Jordan

• Chrome don't get ya home, but it sure looks nice!
Re: Project White Rabbit
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 04:14:15 PM »
Wow your fast  :o, must be nice having a dad that's into zuks and helps you do stuff to them too.
That will be a fun rig when it's all done, very capable too!
82 SJ410: 5" lift (spoa), home made cross over steering, bestop, custom rust lots of it,33"tsl, 6.5:1's. To install: Toyota diffs being built. To build: roll cage, traction bar, bumpers.

89 sidekick: lift 2"suspension 3"body, 31's, aluminum rims, warn hubs, (4) lights on roof, turbocharger.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 09:37:09 AM »
My fault for buying him one.  His has a bit larger motor then mine though.  :D

We'll see how she turns out, it will be a different style of wheeling then my SJ was.  That is for certain.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Boxcar

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 11:44:43 AM »
Just curious Drone..Why are you going to run ABS in the White Rabbit???
....Boxcar...
God Bless
88.5 Samurai Heavily modified.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »
Just curious Drone..Why are you going to run ABS in the White Rabbit???
....Boxcar...

It already had it installed and I didn't feel like disconnecting the idiot light for the brakes.  :D
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Boxcar

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 08:18:53 PM »
Thanks for the giggles, I had a ruff day and now I feel much better....God bless...Boxcar...
God Bless
88.5 Samurai Heavily modified.

Offline Derek

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »
My turn. Figured I could use a little of tax return to buy some goodies. Going to start on the limited slip front. After thinking about it maybe I should keep the IFS instead of SOS then I could steal parts from you. But how to get the gearing low enough? Project looks good I hope to make it over there next weekend Maddie wants to help out.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 10:31:44 PM »
There is plenty for her to help with.  The ARB is wired and the compressor mounted.  But we ran into a problem with some bearing races that refused to come off.   One required some heat to come off, the other required another 3 hours of work and a dremel.  But the diff is ready for install next week.  Should have it rolling for when you come out.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 09:02:20 PM »
Day 7:

Wiring completed and ARB compressor installed.  

ARB switches where installed to the left of the steering wheel, the switch locations easily cut out with a box cutter.  However, I carefully trimmed the boxes to be perfectly square and match the moldings only to find out the switches are just a touch smaller then the moldings in the dash.  So they wiggle just a touch, that will be resolved with double sided tape.  I also had to trim the top of the ARB switch just a touch to stop it from rubbing on the top edge of the dash. If doing it over again I would make the box a bit smaller and make it as low as possible in the dash.

The Mini-ARB Compressor is mounted in front of the air filter in the front end.  With the fender off I actually mounted it sideways to avoid drilling into the fender well, mounting it off the side instead.  I had to dent the corner of the strut mount cover for clearance but everything fits.  Waiting to run the ARB hose until the diff is mounted.

Rear carpet/rubber bit removed from the back as it had some oil on it and water soaked into the carpet, was likely where the slight musty smell was coming from.

Day 8:

Spent almost the entire day working on the front differential.  In order to use the steel front diff Dad welded a tab for the IFS bushing mount.  But to do that we needed to pull the pinion out to avoid cooking the bearing.  The bearing race was damaged during removal and had to be replaced, but we had a spare rebuild kit that was accidentally purchased so we decided to just replace the bearings.  Sadly the bearings did not agree and want to be removed from the ARB carrier.

Not sure how the guy installed them, but on one side we were able to remove the race by cutting off the bearing, then using a ARC welder to lay a stripe across the race then taking it off with a punch.  The second side this failed to work, and the race could not be moved or removed through any normal means.  We ended up taking a dremel to a large chunk of the race and cutting it as far back as possible.  Once this was done we were finally able to get the race to spin and slowly chisel it off.  This took from lunch until supper.  Once the races were finally removed we cleaned the sides of the carrier up, the new bearings went on without an issue and we assembled and torqued down the diff until everything was in spec.

Long day with little done, but it is done.  A 26 spline front axle shaft has been ordered along with a drivers side CV.  If all goes well we should have a rolling vehicle next weekend minus fenders.  And hopefully the rear transmission seal on my DD will come in so we can get it put back together and out of the garage.

As she sits right now:

Fender clearance:

Fender Trimming to clear the tires:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:29:28 AM by Drone637 »
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 11:31:47 AM »
Its looking good ! Can you put up some more pictures of the ARB compressor install ?

The 33's look real chubby without a lift.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 06:00:19 PM »
Its looking good ! Can you put up some more pictures of the ARB compressor install ?

The 33's look real chubby without a lift.

Thanks, it will be interesting to see how she looks when finished.  Provided we get to that point. :D

You can see the dent I put into the strut mount cover for clearance:

The mounting from the back side:
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:30:15 AM by Drone637 »
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 06:18:33 AM »
Nice update, and thanks for posting the compressor pictures. Its good to know that if you really want to, you can make the Samurai ARB fit in the front of a sidekick.

You went from 4.30's to 5.12's ? This is what I did and I calculated that a 31" tire would be the perfect match. The gear swap is a 16.XX% reduction while changing the tire size to a 31 over stock is also 16% increase. The 33's would be close at about 18% but when you factor in the additional weight you are defiantly going to notice them on there.

I've been staring at tire weights for a few weeks trying to make a decision and it seems the best off road worthy 33 would be the BFG KM2 which weigh in at 49 lbs (a comparable MR/R weight in at 60 lbs / tire). Aluminum rims would really help but I can't risk/ trust having them on the trail.

Cant wait to see this thing in action, can you post video ?

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 07:38:45 AM »
I have been running 30X9.5X16's on Weld 15x7" aluminum rims for years.  While they have suffered a little rock rash, the biggest issue I have had with them is getting wood into the bead.  Now that I am running 12.5 width tires, I do not expect to have as much wood getting lodged in the bead.
I suspect we will have to swap tires to see the effect of aluminum wheels vs steel ones.
And these 33X12.5X15's seem twice as heavy as the 30X9.5's. 
I don't know how much power he had before, but the 1.6 8v with a 3 speed auto was probably a little anemic to start with.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »
ZookPower:

For the ratios, I used a transmission calculator.  Below is the stock gearing with stock tires:

http://www.solemnwarning.net/transmission/?id=105

And this is with the 5.12 gears and 33" tires:

http://www.solemnwarning.net/transmission/?id=106

Your right, 31" tires are perfect.  But the 33's look pretty cool, I should have some pictures next week if we get the fenders done.  If a set of 5.32 gears come up I will pick them up but won't be installing them for a while.  I really don't feel like rebuilding another set of diffs until I save up for a rear ARB.

Everyone I know who is running the KM2's have been really happy with them.

BRD HNTR:

Well, the tires that were on it were bald, but they didn't have any issues spinning on wet pavement.  :D  But yea, not the greatest power house.  It would probably be easier to just throw both the tires on a scale and check the weight factor rather then swap all four between vehicles. 
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 10:07:45 AM »
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing