Hello Guest

Is There A Cross Country Run ?........

• 40 Replies

Offline Capt

• LIFT IT ! .......Fat Chicks CAN'T JUMP !!
Re: Is There A Cross Country Run ?........
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »
SAW-ZALL,

Re-install with WIRE WELDER

Problem Solved !!

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »
Oddly enough, I am going on something similar to this in Wales, UK in September with the Shrophire Suzuki gang.

Called "Greenlaning", it involves driving unimproved back roads (some VERY unimpoved!) out in the countryside.

I was thinking of trying the same thing in Mark Twain Forest in Central Missouri around Fort Leonard Wood.  I was able to get some maps from the state and they show quite a few logging and farm roads in that area...

Perhaps this is a way to condense a "Gumball Rally" down to a bitesized event...
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline Capt

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 06:34:49 AM »
SWEET !!

That would only be a 10 maybe 12 hour ride (Sammy Trailered if I am working, add a day without) from north central Wisconsin.
If there is a far enough notice, I can get the time off from work. I like the possible Camp Where You Get Too at 5-ish thing.
Or if the weather turns to "KRRAAPP".... lodge over while you watch your sleeping bags go round & round in the dryers
at the Laundromat.

Keep the Ideas coming, even it gets us hooked up at a LOCAL EVENT type set-up !!!!

CAPT

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 08:06:16 AM »
Ack, Capt,
That would not be to far of a drive for a weekend adventure for me either  8) Great idea Ack..

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline Jonny Rash

• Too many Samurais, too little time
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 06:10:27 AM »
I'd be up for a trip through central Missouri.  Probably just a long 4 day weekend jaunt for me though.
25+ years of Samurai ownership!

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 05:19:18 PM »
What if you drive a Tintop?
SAW-ZALL,

Re-install with WIRE WELDER

Problem Solved !!

;D
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 06:24:49 PM »
One more thing that I would like to point out:

Missouri is not the only state with national/state forests!

It is possible to do the same thing in other states - all over the country!

Start your search with your state parks agency/department for map information.
Ack

Offline Capt

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 08:03:33 PM »
Ack is right !! have a nation wide,

Any TIME, any WHERE, ........

IN AN OLD HIPPIES term.......

"A ZUK Hang Out" !!!!! My cure for a... GET AWAY FROM IT ALL !!!
(Without Camping on Wall Street, ......Shit, who could afford the Parking?!!)

Maybe a Year long fund raiser for 4X4 Trail ACCESS !! ( Man; back in Wisc, did the ATV crowd give us a BAD NAME to further their agenda)

I'M LOVE'N IT !!

CAPT

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
...and another thing...

The concept of "greenlaning" assumes that the roads you will be driving on are public right-of-ways.  That being the case, such an offroading event is limited to street-legal 4x4s only.  If you trailer your truck and it isn't street legal, not only are you "on your own" at this type of event, you risk providing more fodder to the tree huggers for the argument of banning 4x4s altogether!

This is the case in the UK.

The nearest thing to greenlaneing that I have experienced is driving the unimproved county roads between Jerome Arizona and Prescott Vally, Arizona in an '02 Tracker 4-door.  It wasn't particularly difficult but it sure was scenic!

Nothing is without problems.  Greenlaning offers the posibility to get in touch with Nature in a legal way that does not involve fees or the possibility of driving over an unattended 8-year-old on a cheap Chinese "dirtbike".  It also DOES NOT involve hard terrain challenges - most of the time.

That said, if you don't like the above description, then an ORV park would be more your style.
Ack

Offline Capt

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
I agree, Ack, I am using the "Trailer Queen" method as a "Time Warp" to get to the start point, and back, within the Time Off from Work Limits.

CAPT

Offline stevec

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 10:17:04 AM »
Great Idea!  In addition to the TAT, there's also:

Trans Canada Adventure Trail (TCAT):  www.graveltravel.ca
Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR)
Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route (OBCDR)

I think there's also a continental divide route that goes from Canada to Mexico, crossing the continental divide at least a dozen times, though that may be motorcycle only.

There are probably others as well.  If I REALLY had the time, I'd love to take TCAT across Canada, then TAT back to the west coast, then OBCDR and WABDR home. to complete a North American loop, but to do it properly, I'd want to take at least six months.  Maybe when I retire...

We ran a portion of WABDR last summer, and I did part of section 2 (Durr Road from Yakima to Ellensburg WA) yesterday.  This summer Wazuks is planning to do at least the northern half (north to south, from the Canadian border to either Wenatchee or Ellensburg.)  Date will depend on snowpack, as portions are over 6000'.  Last year we were turned back by snow the last weekend of June; hopefully this year won't be as bad!
'71 LJ10 RHD
'72 LJ10
'72 LJ20V
'80 LJ81K
'86 Samurai

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »
Here is a link to an interesting Greenlaning - UK blog:

http://www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/-39-laning-locally-project-116-and-henryd-/blog_172.html

I am going to try my luck at driving the farm/logging roads in Central Missouri toward the end of April.

I'll see if I can post some pics/vids of it!
Ack

Offline Jonny Rash

• Too many Samurais, too little time
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 02:54:21 PM »
They definitely have some tight hedgerows there.  I bet an SJ410 or SJ413 with its narrow track would do quite well on that terrain.  Not that a Samurai is much more wider though.

Looks like a lot of fun.  8)
25+ years of Samurai ownership!

Offline goodyz

• Turdzuki.
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »
Yeah, I consider myself more of an adventurist than a wheeler.  I love driving cross country in a Samurai when I have the time to do so.  I really can't take much more than a week off at a time though.

I'm about the only person in my offroad club that actually wheels what I drive to the trail.  Everyone else trailers their offroad rigs  ??? Even the fellow Suzuki guys.  :(

I'm considering leaving my current club because of that fact.  Everyone is in such a hurry to get to the trails, hauling their rigs at 80mph down tollroads at 5AM on Saturday morning.  Whereas I'm usually cruising the scenic backroads at around 7AM and taking my time to get to the trailhead.  The trails, often less-than-scenic tree covered hills, aren't going anywhere and I'm in no big hurry to see them.

Thanks for puttin' that sentiment into words. I feel the same way!! I'm an adventurer and my Zuk is a tool that gets me where I want to go. All these Ideas sound great, it's kind of a shame we all live so far apart. I wish I could find some like minded people close by. Keep developing these ideas though, I like where you guys are going with this. Who knows? In a couple of years maybe we can make something like this happen?
-goodyz

Offline Capt

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »
OK, A couple of ideas here,
Ack, were you thinking of your Missouri idea for May 19th, or another time.
And also, if I gave some lead time (Week/10 days) would anyone be interested in meeting at the "Badlands" in west central
Indiana. It is my plan to stop thru there on the way back to Wisconsin here SHORTLY.

CAPT