Hello Guest

Is There A Cross Country Run ?........

• 40 Replies

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: Is There A Cross Country Run ?........
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 08:31:40 PM »
OK, A couple of ideas here,
Ack, were you thinking of your Missouri idea for May 19th, or another time......
CAPT

I was thinking of hopping in the Samurai on Monday April 23 and driving for a couple of days down around Ft. Leonard Wood.  Afterwards, I'd post something on the trip.
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2012, 05:52:43 AM »
I guess I'm pretty lucky when it comes to available " public " access off roading. The Wharton, Brenden Byrne, Belle Plain State Forests as well as the Pinelands National Reserve are all connected by tiny and completely unmaintained two tracks leading through beautiful forests and wetlands here in New Jersey. Combined total of over 1,000,000 acres. Access is only 30 minutes from my house. You can go on for days and miles and miles and if you know your way can make the trip from Atsion in the western part almost all the way to the Atlantic ocean on the eastern side. It's all open to STREET LEGAL, registered vehicles. If it weren't for all the stinkin developement it would be possible to make it to the ocean.
We have the same problem here with a few aholes ruining it for everyone. You don't need a full blown crawler on 44's to get around here, to the contrary, a smaller rig with a little footprint is actually much better, but people insist on bringing their giant trucks and BIG heeps into the forest and tearing up the trails, digging big holes in the wet parts of the trails, smashing up the trees, and getting stuck,  bringing unwanted and unfavorable attention to off roaders. I'm always finding trash, beer bottles and empty beer cartons in some of the most beautiful areas. Without fail, almost every time I'm out there I find some jackoff stuck in a waterhole he shouldn't have been in to begin with. Lately I've just turned around and gone the other way, leaving them to there own devices.  It won't be long before even street legal vehicles will be banned here.  I'm going to enjoy it while I can.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Capt

• LIFT IT ! .......Fat Chicks CAN'T JUMP !!
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 06:12:21 AM »
Ack, If there is an open invitation.............
       The 23rd of April is kinda "Tight" to leave West Virginia, Go Home to Wisconsin, Unload all my Treasures & Bounty,
       Reload for Central Missouri in less than 2 weeks.
                         BUT I have done the FIRE CALL to GO to a Job.......
       Dump your underware & sock drawer into a suitcase and grab the dirty clothes hamper on the way out the door!!!
I'll send you a PM when I get a better Picture on this Job's shut down.

CAPT

Offline Capt

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 03:16:36 PM »
Ack, April is OUT  >:(
I will  not be off this job B4 the 16th of April. Unless you know of a "T-I-M-E  S-T-R-E-C-H-E-R",
Last I heard there are only going to be 24 hours to each day.

CAPT

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 07:06:26 PM »
I just lost a slave cylinder in the drivers-side rear wheel.

Looks like I'll be spending the first day or so of my upcoming vacation fixing it instead of "greenlaning" in Central Missouri...
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline Capt

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 09:50:06 AM »
Ka-Shitski's !!!
 Sorry Man, that Sucks Dirt !!

I got out a week early, made it home safe on Friday the 13th. Friday was OK,
Thursday, about 100 miles into the trip home the Fan Clutch locked up. Tightened the belts up, listened to a 9 blade fan roar for the next 700 miles home, and it knocked my 1 ton's mileage down to 9 mpg.

2 cups off coffee early Sat. and the new one was in, still was a $117.00 light though, they sell them by the once.

Hope you have a taste for brake fluid, and twisted up brake lines, and MAYBE the bolts will come out of the backing plate to get the old wheel cyl out. I'm feeling your pain Brother, just did that job on  the 1 ton a month ago.

CAPT

Offline keith

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 01:14:59 PM »
I'm an adventurer in a state without adventure.  Illinois has nothing! I am planning a trip to upper Michigan in July though.  I is supposed to have some public access trails.

Offline Capt

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 04:16:24 PM »
Keith,

The UP is Great, only warning I can give.......DON'T RUN ON UTILITY RIGHT OF WAYS !!
Big Fines in Michigan!!

I was up to the old farm stead in May. Had a hoot going to Saxon Harbor & Little Girls Point by Ironwood & Hurley Plus a bunch of rustic dirt back roads.

CAPT

Offline keith

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2012, 05:54:31 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  I have somewhat of an idea where I'll be going.  In the Hiawatha National Forrest it looks like there are a good amount of trails.

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »
Hey, I love this idea of seeing backyard America!  I just bought my Samurai, a 1988, mostly stock with 30" tires.  When are we planning this event?  If next summer, I may have my ride ready to go by then.  But that sounds like a lot of fun!  I'm not sure about the midwest (new here), but the Moab area of southern Utah is an awesome area of red rock, arches, ghost towns and dirt. 

Hope to see you all there!
Not all who wander are lost! --JRR Tolkien

Offline Capt

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2012, 07:21:02 AM »
Solitude,
Sorry for the slow response, I have been on an pipeline project here near my home (65 miles away)
but we are on day 26 straight !! of 12 hr days !!
Today we got a rain out mid morning, catching up on all my e-mails & etc.

On a "Cross America Run" it was just an Idea thrown out there to see if any were interested; when would be a good time of year, Ideas of routes.................

On a side note; I am seriously considering the "Budapest to Bamako Endurance Run; Touring Class" in 2014. Already bought a 1988 Sammy with 68,000 original miles as a starting chaise. (Body is toast being from Wisconsin). Looking for leads on a good body.

CAPT