Hello Guest

Towable tent

• 40 Replies

Offline schaney

Re: Towable tent
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 06:57:46 AM »
Looks like an interesting camper project, the older tent trailers were nice and basic, keeping the weight down. 

I picked up a 40's vintage all aluminum Higgins tent trailer recently that I'll be rebuilding over the Winter.
Scott Chaney
Owner www.compactcampingconcepts.com
Trailer Supported Adventuring expert

Offline Capt

• LIFT IT ! .......Fat Chicks CAN'T JUMP !!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 10:42:37 AM »
Shaney,

Nice Old Pop Out Camper project! It has that perfect "Resto-Look", even the hub caps !!
Hate to say it on a Zuki Site, but it has that "Bantam Trailer" look to it.
Build a rack on it for that Cedar Strip Kyak on the wall, it'll be a "neck cranker" on the highway heading "North" !

CAPT

Offline schaney

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 05:12:38 PM »
Capt, It is a very cool old trailer, have some "custom" ideas on how to rebuild it.  Yes my woodstrip gets a lot of looks, can be a pain launching when a crowd gathers :)   

Scott Chaney

Offline Derek

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 10:59:06 PM »
Can't see much in the pic but stiffened the edges of trailer with some scraps of our Yamaha outboard crate scraps. Got the paint site somewhat cleared tonight. Plan is to paint Sunday, wife is getting reducer and sealer tomorrow. Hope BRD HNTR can make it out to shoot it if not releasing birds?

Offline Derek

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »
Looks like an interesting camper project, the older tent trailers were nice and basic, keeping the weight down. 

I picked up a 40's vintage all aluminum Higgins tent trailer recently that I'll be rebuilding over the Winter.

That's why I picked up this trailer. light enough to be towed buy a zuk. This one a little wider than what I was looking for but the space will be nice and the price was right. On a different note I did find a air mattress on amazon that would fit the slide outs that has a MP3 speaker amplifier built in made by colman. That would be one way to bring the trailer up to date.

Offline schaney

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 05:56:06 AM »
Yes, the older, vintage ones that were a bed & tent are normally very lightweight.  A few modern comforts will be nice. The Higgins I picked up is also wider than my normal trailers, but will be a fun restore project.  Here is what my normal fiberglass trail / backcountry trailers looks like.

Scott Chaney

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 07:54:36 AM »
Can't see much in the pic but stiffened the edges of trailer with some scraps of our Yamaha outboard crate scraps. Got the paint site somewhat cleared tonight. Plan is to paint Sunday, wife is getting reducer and sealer tomorrow. Hope BRD HNTR can make it out to shoot it if not releasing birds?
Releasing birds Friday & Sat. evenings, and Kris will be up for weekend.  We should be able to be out.  Where are you painting it?
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline darnold87

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 03:45:16 PM »
Nice little compact trailer!  Good size for a Suzuki!  Should be nice to try on the Fall Classic.  You might consider replacing the wheel bearings if you haven't already.  Cheap maintenance and good piece of mind.  Plus throw in the old ones for spares.
I had a 1969 tent trailer that I fixed up and kept for a year or so... but it was too large for my 4dr sidekick... that and $94 annual Oregon DMV fees made switch back to tent / rooftop tent camping... 

~Davey
'94 Suzuki Sidekick
'92 Suzuki Swift GT
'04 Lexus GX470

Offline Derek

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 08:40:44 PM »
Yes wheel bearings are definitely on the list of things to do. Although any company that's called Nimrod could've only used the best of quality bearings. Will eventually go to a larger size tire to slow the axle speed down a little bit and give some clearance but these ones are paid for for now. Or now inspired to design something from scratch once the shop gets built (in a couple of years). Snaps and rivets ordered and will work on the canvas this weekend also. Like to see what others have reasonably towed. Hope I can salvage this forty five year old canvas for the meantime although it doesn't appear to be in that bad of shape.

And found the perfect mattress to entertain with

Queen-sized inflatable mattress ideal for camping or accommodating guests
    Built-in amplifier and pair of speakers for listening to iPod or MP3 player
    Hands-free 4D QuickPump automatically inflates and deflates mattress
    Double lock valve locks in air 2 ways; durable, heavy-duty PVC construction
    Measures 74 x 9 x 60 inches (W x H x D); supports up to 600 pounds

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:47:28 PM by Derek »

Offline Derek

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 07:02:57 AM »
With the help of Drone637 , BRD HNTR  and especially Steve for shooting paint and letting me use his shop we found a window in the weather and made it red. Lots of sanding then one coat of primer sealer and two coats of metallic red. Turned out good. Will let set for a couple of days then try and remember how all the sliders bolt back on. Should have taken more close ups before disassemble but you never think about it at the time. Hopefully get to work on the canvas today.

Offline schaney

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 07:14:21 AM »
Coming along, looks good painted ...
Scott Chaney

Offline keith

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 07:29:20 AM »
Although any company that's called Nimrod could've only used the best of quality bearings.

LOL   ;D

Offline Derek

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 05:31:59 AM »
Did some stitching on the canvas but pretty hard with a conventional sewing machine. Fear that the roof canvas is a little weak from age and UV but it'll have to work for now. Cleaned out a water tub for the horses and dyed the canvas a little darker to match things up. The canvas still had some waterproofing so hoping I don't end up with a tie dyed purple tent top. We'll see when I rinse it out.   

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 06:02:51 AM »
For sewing the canvas, I noticed that there is a heavy duty sewing machine in Ian's shop.  And I think he is due back.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »
How did the re-assembly go?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing