Hello Guest

LOW IDLE/POOR MILEAGE/POWER LOSS-CRANK KEY WAY..AGAIN..?

• 9 Replies

Offline DOWNEASTER

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
LOW IDLE/POOR MILEAGE/POWER LOSS-CRANK KEY WAY..AGAIN..?
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:34:22 AM »
Hello guys hope you all are having a great summer. I've got an issue with my buggy again.SO,I been using  it with no problems until i parked it 3 or 4 days, then drove 3 miles and came to a stop and swore it stalled cause i couldnt hear it idling.But it was running,at 450 rpms(instead of 800 plus rpm).Next day I started it and it didnt have a "cold" fast idle. Then I see it was abit sluggish off idle and gas mileage went south.I checked all the basic's then unplugged the MAF sensor plus the intake air temp sensor for the heck of it and nothing changed.Still low idle,sluggishness from off idle,poor mileage.It is not setting a code either,which really bums me because i did a crank keyway repair back in April with a new crank bolt & timing pulley & keyway from LOW RANGE.When that was the issue it didnt idle low- like now and the power loss was below 3000 rpms where this "seems"to be ok after 900 rpms. I figured I'd run it by you guys before I started rip'n & tear'n on it.lol
 I did swap MAF sensors with no change.Plus I played with the timing with little change in idle rpm's which struck me as odd.
Any idea's would be great.

Offline DOWNEASTER

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: LOW IDLE/POOR MILEAGE/POWER LOSS-CRANK KEY WAY..AGAIN..?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 04:25:41 AM »
Well its not the crank keyway.That looks to be holding as the timing marks all line up great,with #1 at TDC.And i can see there has been no movement on the timing belt pulley to crank.So,it must be in the EGR system.? But the check engine light isnt coming on,so does that mean no codes are setting..?i dont have alot of time to play around with it because of work.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
Does the light come on at key on? Did you check the ignition timing, the pulleys won't move in relation to each other so you won't be able to tell by checking them, a compression test will also show up an issue.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline DOWNEASTER

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 05:05:11 AM »
Hello rhinoman, there is no "check engine light" at startup or with just the key.I took the front of the engine apart to check the timing belt pulleys because when the crankkey/keyway had failed it set the timing retard by some 12 plus degrees so,the timing mark on the bottom was off two teeth.And i can see the inside of the pulley and the crank key slot,which looks like there is no movement between the two.
When i pulled the plug on the MAF sensor nothing changed.?If i remember right the last car i did that too, idled down and ran ruff,plus trip the check engine light.None of this happened on my rig.
I am stuck on this one.i mean the thing ran awesum until it was parked afew days.Then it idled at like 375 to 425 rpm instead of 850/900 rpm and seem to loose alil power.the cold fast idle doesnt work either.If a bad sensor is the cause of this WHY isnt it trip'n the "check engine light"..?
thanks for the help too.

Offline DOWNEASTER

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 03:55:32 AM »
Well,i dropped a bunch on a code reader and NOW i know whats up with my buggy.I got an up stearm o2 sensor and MAF sensor gone at the same time.The kicker is my check engine light doesnt work either.? no biggie i guess.but it did make it a damn bear to figure out.lol

Offline captwoody

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 08:38:35 AM »
buy some spray MAF cleaner and spray MAF and let dry ,it may save you a hundred bucks i did this and it has bought me an extra 2 years so far.O2 sensor just change it and i had same problem with check engine light. replaced bulb and was good to go
Just a Newbie crushing one rock at a time,2x4 rocksliders,lowrange 2"suspension lift 2" body lift and skid plates,5000 winch,towbar,grand vitara rear springs,100watt lights,ARB compressor /air up kit,ARB RD209 LOCKER,Roof rack,tow hitch, General AT2 255/70/15 or 31/10.5/15 Mud tires , 5.12 Gear swap,off road tent trailer,LED Lights

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 01:20:18 PM »
Clear the codes and try again, the MAF code may be because you unplugged it.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline DOWNEASTER

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 04:04:47 PM »
HELLO Rhinoman.well i did clear them and then started it let do its warm up cycle.still getting a 0102 low input voltage code..?from the MAF sensor that is.plus the o2 code.i havent looked that MAF code up yet but it sounds like its not the sensor but PCM.think the no check engine light and that above code are linked..?As i said before the truck ran great before being parked for afew days.then ran like shit since.i blamed the crank key right off the bat before look'n or think'n it threw.lol my bad lol. thanks for your input to friend.

Offline DOWNEASTER

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 04:13:11 PM »
buy some spray MAF cleaner and spray MAF and let dry ,it may save you a hundred bucks i did this and it has bought me an extra 2 years so far.O2 sensor just change it and i had same problem with check engine light. replaced bulb and was good to go
  HELLO Captwoody,i will try that,thanks.so,hows your buggy going..?i ended up sending my 3rd to TRAIL TOUGH to be setup.(5:85 r & p / lockright)its on its way back to me as we speak.now for the rear one ..lol.its get'n the same treatment.So,with any luck i'll be tell'n you all about by mid-Aug. well,got to go.you takecare bud.

Offline captwoody

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 05:26:27 PM »
I thought my front 4x4 went out but when i got stuck in the sand was running 32psi :-[ i think my spotter may have been on wrong side so he missed wheel spin on front.when i put in 4x4 and jacked up rear wheels with jack front wheels pulled tracker along. :) its 115 in the desert now so AC the top up makes it tolerable but have to stay out of canyons because of flash floods during monsoon season out here
Just a Newbie crushing one rock at a time,2x4 rocksliders,lowrange 2"suspension lift 2" body lift and skid plates,5000 winch,towbar,grand vitara rear springs,100watt lights,ARB compressor /air up kit,ARB RD209 LOCKER,Roof rack,tow hitch, General AT2 255/70/15 or 31/10.5/15 Mud tires , 5.12 Gear swap,off road tent trailer,LED Lights