Hello Guest

Sidekick Sport build log

• 32 Replies

Re: Sidekick Sport build log
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 07:39:34 AM »
This picture shows the damaged shaft on the left and new shaft on the right. The slop between the shaft and bearing causes the pilot bearing to fail more rapidly and causes damage to other bearings.

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2016, 05:47:07 PM »
I didn't realize that it had been a year since I reworked the 5 speed.  I moved to a different project and have been working a lot more.  The good thing is that I have been home more often too.  I also moved from a our place way out in the countryside to an hour southeast of Houston.

I have several recent updates to add, mostly just maintenance related.

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2016, 07:15:36 PM »
The compressor clutch power wire broke when I partially threw the serpentine belt.  I was home for a few weeks between traveling and took advantage of the time available

I replaced the inner and outer tie rods, idler arm, and front struts, since I had the Sidekick sidelined.  The idler arm came with several parts I bought from Boxcar.  It was reinforced with some flat stock, welded underneath.  I also added an idler arm brace I bought from Low Range last year.

The biggest issue was receiving the right parts.  The tie rod was shipped wrong and everyone thinks a standard center link will work on a Sport.  It will not work on a Sport and I have a new standard center link for sale for $50.  I am having a problem getting an alignment now, because they want me to replace the center link before they will do the alignment.

I will try posting a few pics from my phone.  If they are too big, I will adjust later and repost.

Pic 1 is the reinforced idler arm I bought from Boxcar. It also has the Low Range brace behind it.

Pic 2 is where I lowered my ABS sensor, by dropping the bracket into the splash guard hole and using a plastic rivet, instead of a bolt.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 07:24:56 PM by Ridjobradi »