Hello Guest

1990 Tracker Starting Problems PLEASE HELP

• 15 Replies

Offline trackertod

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
1990 Tracker Starting Problems PLEASE HELP
« on: August 02, 2015, 09:52:47 AM »
Hi guy's:

I'm brand new to the forum and greatly appreciate all of your expertise. I have a 1990 Tracker 2 door 4x4 lifted with 265,000k. Ive owned it for 2 years, and love it. However I have had a phantom problem with it not starting now and again that I could really use your help with, as I am planning a 5 day trip and am nervous it may happen again.

So here is whats been going on. Every once in a while, (like every 30th start) I turn the engine over and it seems to me that if I don't "commit" to starting, and I shut the key off and try again, it will not start. Engine turns over and no way, it just will not start. If I leave it overnight, it will start right away first thing next day, or else I can bomb start it and it will run no problem. It never seems to happen if I'm running it everyday, and especially never happens when the engine is warm.

I have a CEL light when the key is on, and then goes out when the engine fires, so I'm pretty sure the ecu is fine. When I turn the key on, I can hear a small switch "click" under the dash on the clutch side, and then the fuel pump cycles for 3 or 4 seconds as I'm assuming it is supposed to. When it wont start, it is almost like the engine is turning over faster than normal when trying to start, and with less resistance? Plugs,wires, etc, were all replaced within the last 5000kms.

Now lately, I have started to have a few more issues. It starts up and then idles up to about 2000RPM for a couple of minutes which it always seems to do, but then it will "stutter" and RPMS fall off and it idles down to like 200rpm and if you try to touch the throttle most times it dies. Then a few times I have been able to turn it back over immediately and "stab the throttle a few times and get it to start but it runs rough unless I hold the idle at about 3000rpm for a few minutes until it is warm, and then she purrs like a kitten.

Ive replaced the fuel filter, and also looked over a few fuses and cant seem to find anything out of the ordinary.I also just replaced the timing belt, but it never made any difference before or after.  The last few owners said that it did that a few times for them too but they either waited a day and it started or bomb started it. You can jump it till your blue in the face and it wont start but bomb start and she will run every time. It seems to me that it is getting a bit worse though, and I am getting nervous as I have a 5 day trip 300 miles from anywhere coming up in a few weeks.

I am leaning toward either a weak or faulty fuel pump or fuel relay switch? When it is warm and running, it runs perfect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to be stuck in the middle of the bush in northern Canada with a dead tracker.

Regards,
Todd   

Offline trackertod

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: 1990 Tracker Starting Problems PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 10:06:55 AM »
Oh yah one last thing not sure if it is related but its the only other thing that is wrong with the tracker that I haven't been able to find out. There is a small draw on the battery somewhere. If I drive it every day or every other day its fine but if I leave it for a week, the battery is dead.

Thanx in advance
Todd

Offline trackertod

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »
So just an update. I went out thismorning and fired it up and it ran fine for about 2 minutes then it started to idle down and was barely running until finally it quit. Tried to start it and no go. Turned it over 4 or 5 times and nothing. So I pulled the fuel line off the front of the intake that runs from the tank, and there was ful, but on the other side, the smaller hose there was no fuel????? So I blew back into the fuel line to the tank until I heard bubbles in the tank and then put it all back on. Turned it over, and with a few stabs of the throttle, away it went? First time since ive owned it that I have been able to start it when it wont fire without bomb starting. Could it be that there is a bunch of crap in the tank that is choking off the fuel pump "sock"? Doesn't make sense to me though because once it is warmed up and running it runs perfect and doesn't starve for fuel while I'm driving?? Another note to hopefully help someone narrow it down with me.

Thanx cant wait to hear from you guys.

Todd

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 09:52:25 PM »
I would pull fuel pump and take a look and try to narrow it down from fuel pump to filter
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline trackertod

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:43:11 AM »
k So silly question? Is the fuel pump located in the tank?

Offline kreator

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 09:49:07 AM »
Yes
BOB | www.KreationFab.com | 503-689-1377

Offline trackertod

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 12:28:54 PM »
So I pulled the fuel line from the tank at the throttle body and turned it over a few times and fuel is spraying out all over, so I think I can eliminate the fuel pump issue, as it seems to be working just fine.

Same issue this morning. Fired up and ran fine for about a minute and a half, than all of a sudden it idles down to like 200 rpm, and sputters and coughs and dies. This time I tried blowing back into the tank and no go. Had to bomb start it again to get it to run. Once I bomb started it, it ran fine.

When it wasn't running, I checked for spark, and I have spark. Checked the intake, and no blockage or anything, and the filter is clean and good. Even tried pouring a bit of fuel into the plugs and firing but no go. Plugs seem to fire just fine. Pulled a few air and fuel lines and gave them a little blow to make sure no blockages, and still no firing. So lastly I bombed it again and away it went.

As for the slow draw on the battery. I got looking under the dash and found an aftermarket security system with a blinking red light, so I cut all that out and I think I solved the slow draw on the battery issue.

I am starting to think it may be this fuel relay/monitoring switch? Anyone have any knowledge of where it is and how it works?

Thanx

Offline captwoody

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 05:59:49 PM »
do you have a cam position sensor,i have a late model tracker and that was my problem
Just a Newbie crushing one rock at a time,2x4 rocksliders,lowrange 2"suspension lift 2" body lift and skid plates,5000 winch,towbar,grand vitara rear springs,100watt lights,ARB compressor /air up kit,ARB RD209 LOCKER,Roof rack,tow hitch, General AT2 255/70/15 or 31/10.5/15 Mud tires , 5.12 Gear swap,off road tent trailer,LED Lights

Offline trackertod

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 06:13:36 PM »
I am not sure if I do have one? How would I tell, and where do I look for it? Did yours have the same start and run for a minute and then die? It seems like now that is what it is doing everytime I start it.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 06:20:19 PM »
The fuel pump relay should be on left side of driver foot well.  It will have a BLK/WHT wire (power to FPR Coil), a PNK wire (to ECM FPR Control), a BLU/BLK wire (power for fuel pump), a PNK/BLK wire (power to the Fuel Pump).
When the ignition switch is turned on the ECM will energize the fuel pump relay for 3 seconds, allowing for fuel pump operation.  If the engine is being cranked, or is running, the fuel pump will continue to operate, as long as the ECM is receiving ignition reference pulses.  If the ignition reference pulses are not detected, the fuel pump will stop after 3 seconds.

This may help you
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline trackertod

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 08:05:15 PM »
Thanx for the test sheet I will try to see if I can go through it and narrow it down. One thing I just noticed after going out and firing it up again and it did the same thing started to idle down and stutter, is that I GENTLY increased the throttle with my foot ever so carefully till I got it back up to about 3000rpm, where it runs very smooth and good and held it there for about 45 seconds and it never died.??  why is it that when it is warm, it runs good? Could this be a compression issue? If so though, why does it run so good and even idle when cold at higher RPM?????

HELP ???

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 01:30:47 PM »
Try checking your EGR valve.  If it is stuck open the symptoms would be as you have described.
When it is cold and idling push the valve open, it should cough & stumble & perhaps die.  If it does not react, the passages are plugged. (As the EGR valve passes hot exhaust gas, it quickly heats up & may cause burns.  So BEST to test on a cold engine.))
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline trackertod

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 03:29:02 PM »
Another newbie question? Where is the EGR Valve, and how do I test it???

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 06:18:08 PM »
EGR is on right side of motor under intake manifold.  It has a 1/2" metal tube connecting it to intake manifold.  Push on the slide portion on the the back (open) side, and it should move a little.  If motor responds by just barely running, it is ok.  No response mean lines, or it is plugged.  Clean with carburetor cleaner and a wire to get carbon out.

Offline trackertod

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 02:12:17 PM »
Ok so I checked the EGR valve, after I got it running so it wasn't completely cold, but it was not up to operating temp. I pushed the plunger and it started to barely run like you said, release and it ran fine. I am wondering about the cold start? Could this be causing problems as it appears to only happen when the engine is cold?