Hello Guest

2.3 Aerio to Tracker conversion.

• 25 Replies

2.3 Aerio to Tracker conversion.
« on: August 13, 2015, 01:01:34 AM »
Transplanting the 2.3 Aerio engine in my 1997 4 door Tracker went way better and faster than expected.
I can thank Trail Tough for all the pieces needed to make it happen including the wire harness mods and after the sale advice as needed.
The only hurdle yet to solve is getting the stock Tracker tach to work with the Aerio tach signal.
Trail Tough says that they need to install a resistor in the tach circuit of the instrument cluster.
That will make the tach start working but it will read 2000 rpm too high.
Then you hook up a scan tool to verify the RPM and remove the tach needle from it's post and re position the needle to calibrate.
Apparently the Aerio sends a different type of Tach signal than the stock 16 valve engine does, even though they are both Suzuki 4 cylinder engines.
So is there another simpler way to make the stock tach work?
How about splicing into the signal wire of one of the Coil over plugs.
Were would one get the tach signal if they were installing an after market tach like they sell at Summit.
Do the Aftermarket tachs come with a variety of resistors depending on which engine they will be used on.
Thanks
Herman
Oregon

Offline fuzzy1

• It's not about hair, it's about the logic
Re: 2.3 Aerio to Tracker conversion.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 09:39:38 PM »
Nice! I'd love to see some pics etc. I'm jealous!
The tach difference makes sense since the G-series engines use a distributor & the J-series use coil on plug. I think the J gets the tach signal from the CPS.
Please let us know more about this swap!
'97 Sidekick Sport 1" spacer lift 225/75R16 Cooper AT's. Pioneer Sound, 14" Grant Steering Wheel.Otherwise mostly stock
'96 Tracker 1.6l 16v 3spd Auto 4x4 85k - 1 1/2" OME Lift BFG 235/75 AT's on Ion Alloy 15x7's - Pioneer Sound - Custom Installed Hydraulic Drivers Seat (Sold)

Non Illegitimi Conterat

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »
Thanks Fuzzy1 for the reply.
Your explanation makes a lot of sense since the Tracker tachometer was getting its signal from a distributor versus a coil over plug.
I would post photos if I knew how to from an I-phone.
The engine installation looks like opening the hood of a 2.0 liter Tracker.
The header, airbox and radiator are from a 2.0 Tracker.
Once I got the Aerio running I drove it down the street and  was pleased that it ran well.
I drove it right back into the shop to start installing the Kreator coil over front strut suspension lift kit.
I ordered 2" longer A arms  that requires using the 2" longer front axles out of Vitara's.
My long term goal is to modify the front suspension into a double A arm and using the Fox coil over shock that comes with the Kreator kit.
I felt that the 2" longer A-arms would give more room to place a coil over shock in front or behind the axles and clear an upper A-arm similar to the Toyota HiLux front suspension.

Herman

Offline fuzzy1

• It's not about hair, it's about the logic
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 02:12:24 PM »
Sounds like you should have a neat rig when you're done! (As if they're ever 'done'.)
Kreator's kit is a cool design for the ifs... it would be great to see him do an upper control arm setup like you are talking about, but in a kit form.
For pics, I use photobucket to upload my pics, then use the [img] link to post them to forums so the pics show directly in the post.
Would love to see what you have going if you can figure out how to get pics posted.
'97 Sidekick Sport 1" spacer lift 225/75R16 Cooper AT's. Pioneer Sound, 14" Grant Steering Wheel.Otherwise mostly stock
'96 Tracker 1.6l 16v 3spd Auto 4x4 85k - 1 1/2" OME Lift BFG 235/75 AT's on Ion Alloy 15x7's - Pioneer Sound - Custom Installed Hydraulic Drivers Seat (Sold)

Non Illegitimi Conterat

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 11:17:34 PM »
Finished installing the Kreator coil over strut lift today.
Took the Tracker for a 50 mile ride to get a feel for the handling of the lift kit and how the 2.3 Aerio performs.
I also drove my 1995 16 valve 2 door soft top with a Trail Tough 2.5" lift to make a comparison.
The Kreator lift raises the suspension 7" in the rear and 6" in the front depending on preload of springs on the coil over strut.
The lift comes with  front diff drop brackets.

My first impressions in comparing the 2 Trackers on road.

The 4 door seems to drive nicer with the longer wheelbase.
I like the quieter ride of a hard top and being able to lock it.
The Kreator 6" lift rides less harsh than the 2.5" lift on the 2 door and has very little body roll in the corners with out the front sway bar installed.
The 2.5 lift rides much better on road when only 12 pounds pressure in the tires.
This is the pressure I run for the sand but would not be safe for long distances on the highway.

The 2.3 Aerio engine easily outperforms the 16 valve 1600 even though the 4 door  is 300 pounds heavier than the 2 door.
The test was driving both Trackers up a twisty 1.5 mile long hill.
The 2.3 will accelerate up the hill in 4th gear.
The 1.6 will go part way up the hill in 4th and then you have to shift to 3rd and wind it out to keep a decent speed.

The comparison between the 2 Trackers will be at the sand dunes for both power and suspension.

The 4 mouth project has been a success but not perfect.
I need to play with the pinion to drive line angle to get rid of a vibration/harmonics that varies with speed above 50 MPH.

Any suggestions to what the drive line to pinion angle should be when lifted 6-7 inches on the rear?
Or do I need to consider installing a rear constant velocity drive line?
Thanks for your advice.
Herman
Oregon

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 07:35:40 AM »
I have been wanting the Kreator conversion for mine, but too many things keep getting in the way.  It sounds like a nice setup, especially with the 2.3.

Offline kreator

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »
So Herman what was to total cost for the engine conversion ?
BOB | www.KreationFab.com | 503-689-1377

Offline nprecon

• ONWARD... through the fog!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 04:53:08 PM »
Do you have pics of your trucks?  Part of the appeal of these forums are the eye candy pics which help with the descriptions.
'02 Chezuki Tracker with a 2 Liter and 5spd.  It works for me!!!

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 07:59:34 AM »
Herman, Did you get a tachometer to work yet?
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 03:24:24 PM »
1997 Tracker, Kreator suspension/ lift kit, 2.3 Aerio engine conversion, took 3 months,
I am very pleased with the engine and suspension

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 03:44:03 PM »
The 2.3 Aerio conversion cost approx. $3000.
The break down of costs were $1500 for the engine, ECU and needed wiring.
$600 for Trail Tough to simplify and modify the wiring.
Front motor mounts $180, modified flywheel and throw out bearing $120.
Vitara Radiator $150 and approx. $300 for Tracker 2.0 Oil pan and pick-up, water pipes and exhaust header.
All these parts came from Trail Tough and the after the sale advice was very valuable.

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 04:16:26 PM »
The Kreator strut brace was intended for a 1.6 engine had to be modified to clear the different shape of the 2.3.
 The bottom section of a 2.0 Tracker airbox was modified to install the airbox where the windshield washer fluid container would normally be.
A 2 inch hole was cut in a hood brace to give adequate clearance for the radiator cap since the 2.0 radiator is slightly taller.
I used play dough to determine under hood to component clearances and must have opened and closed the hood a hundred times.

I ordered the Kreator 2" longer A-arms which widens the front track 4".
My intent was to get more wheel travel at the same CV angles.
I ended up with 10" of front wheel travel from  7.5 inches of coil-over strut travel.
This requires lengthening the left-hand/right-hand tie rod adjusters and allows the use of the longer XL-7 front axles.
I also modified the right side front axle so I can use left side axles on both sides.

I need to send the instrument cluster to Trail Tough so a resister can be installed to get the tach to work

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 04:24:35 PM by herman pahls »

Offline truesuv

• insert words of wisdom here...
    • Build Diary
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 10:47:31 AM »
Any suggestions to what the drive line to pinion angle should be when lifted 6-7 inches on the rear?
Or do I need to consider installing a rear constant velocity drive line?

The only option on pinion angle is that it matches the angle at the transfer case.    It may be too much angle for the u-joint, but they must match at least.
1993 Tracker - Calmini 3" Super articulation and EDSES, plus 3" body lift,  235/85x16 bfg mud terrains, rear locker, header
1987 Samurai Tin top with Calmini 6" suspension, 30" BFG's - sold, I miss it.

Offline yamamtx

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 05:02:59 PM »
Hello

I was wondering if you could tell me where you have found good luck finding a 2.3 Aerio engine.  The searches I have done on google doesn't offer much in my area. (Minnesota)  Also I have tried to search your suspension kit but I can't seem to find much on that can you fill me in on this?  Thanks

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 12:16:39 AM »
I called a large Auto Recycler here in Oregon called Band R and they shipped the engine free within the state.
It took several calls to get all the needed wiring.
Trail Tough did the wiring harness and they let me know when something was missing.
Another source would be a wrecked car at an auction which would be the best option since every every bit of wiring needed would be there and may cost less.
The wiring harness is done very OEM and requires only a few wires to be spliced. Ground, power, fuel pump, tach, water temp, oil light and maybe a few I forgot.
I believe Trail Tough has the engines for conversions plus everything else that will be needed as I listed in earlier posts.
This is almost a bolt in conversion except mating the exhaust and redrilling holes for the Vitara radiator and relocating the power steering reservoir which probably did not need to be done I learned to late.

Regarding the Kreator suspension, call Bob in Salem, Oregon at 503 689 2206.
He may be hard to contact during hunting season or when he is helping a friend that lost his ranch during one of Oregon's many fires last summer.
This may sound like an advertisement; both Kreator and Trail tough have great after the sale service which I needed since they to do not include instructions.
I have 2 Trackers; a 1995- 2 door with stock 16valve and a  $700 Trail tough 2.5 inch lift and the 1997-4 door 2.3 Aerio/Kreator 5-6 inch lift.
The 2 door performs well in both sand and the rocks.
The 4 door Aerio is in another league especially on the sand dunes.
The performance would be amazing if the 2.3 Aerio was installed in a 275 pound lighter 2 door.
I feel the longer wheel base of the 4 door is a big plus when hitting the whoops at speed.
These Trackers really are  poor mans, street legal Side X Side's with a heater.
The only negative of the taller lift is that it would be easier to roll.
I went with the 2.5" wider a Arms up front to get more wheel travel and the side benefit of not having to limit the steering when using 31" tires.
I will be trying 33" tires for the rocks and feel they will clear with only trimming the front bumper cover.
The Kreator lift moves the front axle forward and the rear axle back 1" to accommodate taller tires.

My next project is dual transfer cases so I do not have to take the time to switch out T-cases for the intended mission.
The 4.24 gears are too low most of the time when off roading, but very much needed in the serious rocks.

You could do a Toyota engine and transmission conversion with the parts being more readily available and less expensive.
The plus of the Toyota would be using the Marlin Crawler bolt together dual T-case set up.
The negative would be heavier and tons of custom fabrication.