Hello Guest

2.3 Aerio to Tracker conversion.

• 25 Replies

Offline yamamtx

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: 2.3 Aerio to Tracker conversion.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 07:13:22 AM »
That is some great info, thank you so much for taking the time to put this together.  I will continue to look in the direction of a wrecked Aerio.  Thanks again.

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2015, 07:40:58 PM »
The Kreator kit is the best option.  I was there Saturday and it definitely the direction that I want to go.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 08:26:11 AM »
Any suggestions to what the drive line to pinion angle should be when lifted 6-7 inches on the rear?
Or do I need to consider installing a rear constant velocity drive line?

The only option on pinion angle is that it matches the angle at the transfer case.    It may be too much angle for the u-joint, but they must match at least.
Herman,
With 6-7" of lift, you must be about 15" to bottom of frame?  At 15" to frame I don't have vibrations, but my 2 door Tracker will wear out my U-joints in a year.  The bottom U-joint goes first and the top is loose enough that it is best to change both yearly.  As my Tracker is my DD, I put |removethispart|@ 200+ miles a week on it.  High angles are hard on both CV's and U-joints.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 10:02:26 PM »
I think my rig is at 14 inches of clearance, but I will have to get back home and check to make sure.  My rig is a 4 door, so the rear angle is different, but my front angle should be the same.  That small amount of clearance may be why mine hasn't had a u-joint issue, yet.

I have been concerned about my u-joints and keep checking them.  I last checked them a couple of weeks ago when I put the transmission rebuilt the transmission.  I will order replacements now to keep some on hand, just in case.

What would be the "extreme" replacement option for an upgrade?

Edit: 15" of clearance.  I found the pic from the last time the question came up.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:44:46 PM by Ridjobradi »

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »
My 4 door has 15" from the bottom of the frame with 31" tires.
My Kreator lift is probably closer to 5-6 inches of lift.
My suggestion when ordering Kreator kits for the 4 doors, and in my case with the who knows how my heavier Aerio engine, is to ask for higher rate springs in the front.
My kit came with 200 and 250 # springs and I would like to try 250 and 300.
I was able to get the ride height by upping the Nitrogen pressure in the front shocks from 150 to 300 since these Fox shocks are a combination of "air" and coilover shocks which allows for simple spring rate tuning.
I prefer to rely on the springs to hold the car up instead of nitrogen in case the shock loses pressure in the middle of no where.
I ordered a 4.24 ratio T case from Trail Tough for a trip to Moab in a few weeks.
I am working on a double Tracker T-case set up but will not have it done in time.
Need to build rock sliders out of 2x4 tubing first to protect the rockers.
I am considering ordering taller tires but this Tracker is already noticeably more top heavy than with the 235x15's on stock wheels without wheel spacers.
The added torque of the Aerio engine, handles the added weight and diameter of the 31's just fine.
The next step would be 33" tires like BrdHunter  runs but I am considering 35's.
Any experience out there running 35" tires on Trackers?

Offline nprecon

• ONWARD... through the fog!
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 10:09:38 AM »
Ben Peterson (sp?) here on the forum mounted some 35" tires on his blue 2-door Track/Kick earlier last year as I recall.  He drove it for a while before he added transfer case gears.  I don't recall any other drive train mods he made, other than having to trim his fender wells to clear those meaty tires.

He had several vids posted of taking his truck onto the trails around Colorado and one, that I recall, of driving it down the hard ball at 65 or 70MPH.
'02 Chezuki Tracker with a 2 Liter and 5spd.  It works for me!!!

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 11:14:27 AM »
nprecon
Thanks, I will search for Ben Peterson's posts on 35's.
It is nice to know others experiences before diving in.
Herman

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 10:37:20 PM »
I searched for Ben Petersons thread regarding 35's on his Tracker and could not find it.
I did find a trip report he made.
I just returned from Moab, Utah.
I had wheeled there many times with various Jeeps I have built running up to 42" tires and front and rear lockers.
This was the first trip with a the Aerio powered 4 door Tracker, 5 speed on 31's without lockers.
I received many comments on how well the Tracker got around on the Cliffhanger and Poison Spider trails.
It would be delusional to think that this mini wheeler could keep up with the big tire'd machines, but it is definitely more challenging and entertaining to try.
So this is what I learned:

The 4.24 T-case gears are a must and made climbing and descending effortless as long as you have traction.
The power of the 2.3 Aerio is not needed on the trail but sure comes in handy when I had to drive the last 300 miles on the highway because one of the tow vehicles broke down and my trailer was needed.
The added power also makes a big difference when driving on the sand dunes.
It was cold and a heated door slammer is nice this time of year.
Rocker panel protection is a must.
If I would not have welded in 2x4" steel tube I am sure none of the doors would be opening after the first trail.
I will have at least one locker the next time.
I will have taller tires next time.
It is time to make this a more serious rock car since it will never keep up with the Polaris RZR 1000's in the desert and with taller tires may out perform them in the rocks.

So I read about  several of Mike Hagen's builds; The Bandit, Operation Rockstar and New IFS design.
Seems like all of his builds retain the IFS and replace the aluminum differential and housing with steel.
In order to get more lift, tire clearance and wheel base, he does frame chops/drops.
Seems like unless you are wanting to stay with the Tracker front suspension theme, that A Toyota SAS would be simpler, stronger, less money and faster to fabricate, but weigh more.
I would appreciate any comments regarding retaining the Suzuki IFS versus a Toyota SAS.
Seems like the Toyota SAS would easily accommodate 37" tires.

How tall of tires will the Tracker front bearings, ball joints,  uprights, CV axles and aluminum diff. ( and housing) handle with or without front lockers?
Seems like Mike has used 39" tires on the Tracker front bearings, uprights and steering components.
Thanks for sharing.
Herman

Offline nprecon

• ONWARD... through the fog!
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 05:43:55 PM »
It may be that Ben's posts were wiped out with the data loss earlier this year.  The data loss covered about two years worth of posts and information.  I believe Ben still frequents the forum here occasionally, though.
'02 Chezuki Tracker with a 2 Liter and 5spd.  It works for me!!!

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 02:11:42 AM »
I am almost embarrassed to make this confession.
After months of flawless performance and a trip to Moab with my recent 2.3 Aerio/Tracker conversion, the engine started to run so poorly that I could no longer stand to drive it.
The Code reader was indicating so many codes that  I was clueless where to begin.
Trail Tough did the wiring harness conversion and said they do not wire in the check engine light because it would always be on since the engine was never intended for a Tracker and therefore it would be constantly coding.
It cost me $45.00 for a local shop to tell me the mass air sensor was dirty and they cleaned it for me.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 07:21:42 AM »
Interesting that they wired in a OBDII port, and didn't include the CEL light.  I would watch the wreckers for a same year Aerio with manual transmission and grab the ECU from it.  You might have to shift a couple pins, and add the wire for CEL, but it could be done.  I do not understand why TT had you get the Auto motor ECU.  This is why I had told you to get a manual transmission to begin with.
All that being said, I got a wireless OBDII reader off Amazon that leave running in my Tracker.  I bluetooth's over to my phone, and whenever I get a code it is easy to check and clear.  If you got one of those readers, you could just check for alarms and clear when you are using it.  That way you would know when something new comes up and not be faced with so many codes you would be clueless where to begin.
How is it running now?
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.