ZUKIWORLD Discussion Forum > Suzuki 4x4 Forum

Old Man Emu springs

(1/4) > >>

TheLastSamurai:
Hello everyone, I am considering buying some OME springs for my Samurai, just curious if anyone has used them before or if they would or would not recommend them. My Sammy is a daily driver right now and it needs new springs. So I am looking for a little better ride while giving it a bit of a lift. Thoughts?

fordem:
I've never used them on a Samurai, but, I'd say you'll be very happy with them.

One caution - buy them from someone knowledgeable about the product (Low Range Off Road is where I got mine), and be honest with yourself about your needs - OME springs come in different lifts, and different load ratings - heavy, medium, light - don't go for more lift than you need, or a heavier spring that the load you will normally carry - don't be tempted to get heavy load springs so you can occasionally carry more stuff, and then drive it every day with the vehicle unloaded - the heavy load springs will be way too stiff when unloaded.

Get OME shocks to match the springs you choose, you're going to be tempted here to cheap out here (OME come at a price), and you can find shocks that will fit for less, but OME valves their shocks to match their springs.  Many people will tell you run this shock, run that shock, and sell you a shock that fits based on length, don't fall for it - get the OMEs, they are engineered to work with one another, on that particular vehicle.

Get new shackles, get new bushings, you won't regret it.

nprecon:

--- Quote from: fordem on August 18, 2015, 05:46:34 AM ---I've never used them on a Samurai, but, I'd say you'll be very happy with them.

One caution - buy them from someone knowledgeable about the product (Low Range Off Road is where I got mine), and be honest with yourself about your needs - OME springs come in different lifts, and different load ratings - heavy, medium, light - don't go for more lift than you need, or a heavier spring that the load you will normally carry - don't be tempted to get heavy load springs so you can occasionally carry more stuff, and then drive it every day with the vehicle unloaded - the heavy load springs will be way too stiff when unloaded.

Get OME shocks to match the springs you choose, you're going to be tempted here to cheap out here (OME come at a price), and you can find shocks that will fit for less, but OME valves their shocks to match their springs.  Many people will tell you run this shock, run that shock, and sell you a shock that fits based on length, don't fall for it - get the OMEs, they are engineered to work with one another, on that particular vehicle.

Get new shackles, get new bushings, you won't regret it.

--- End quote ---

X2 what Fordem said.  If you elect to spend the coin to buy OME... buy their complete vehicle specific designed suspension system which includes their shocks and /or struts.  There is a reason their stuff is a bit pricey.  It's WORTH it!

Jonny Rash:
I highly recommend the OME springs for a Samurai daily driver.  I run the medium rate springs all around, and they perform well on and off road.  The ride is still a little rough, which should be expected for leaf springs all around, but it is better than stock. 

Counterpoint on the shocks: I run the cheapo Gabriel Red shocks with my OME leaf springs and they seem to work well.  Petroworks, which sells OME springs, also recommends the lower cost Gabriel Red shocks.

http://www.petroworks.com/old-man-emu-dakar-1-5-lift-kit-deluxe-kit-by-petroworks/

TheLastSamurai:
OK cool, I generally run by the moto "good work aint cheap and cheap work aint good" and I would like to think that also applies to parts. So far that about 4 people who have recommended the lesser expensive Gabriel shocks. What is the price difference?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version