Hello Guest

ZUKIWORLD ZUKFARI - Fall Classic 2015 - Bend, OR - NOW WITH PICTURES!

• 79 Replies

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
ZUKIWORLD ZUKFARI -  Fall Classic 2015 - Bend, OR
November 20th through 22nd

Hello Adventure Enthusiasts!

Here's a rough itinerary, a couple of requests, and instructions for those that are planning on coming on this year's ZUKIWORLD FALL CLASSIC! The first thing to do would be to read over the previous adventures and see if you're up to being cold and dirty for three days and to see if this trip would be something that would interest you.

2015 Itinerary:
Please note that depending on weather and other conditions, we may not do all of the items listed below.

Thursday:
Option 1: 8am – Breakfast at Covered Bridge cafe (For those heading East through Stayton, OR)
Option 2: 9am – Breakfast at the Sugar Pine Cafe (For those in around LaPine, OR)
Then – Setup Camp 
..and then – Stargazing, relaxing
Finally – Night time activities / Optional Night Ride

Friday:
First – Fort Rock (and perimeter Hike / exploring)
Then – Lunch and Cougar Mountain
Option 1: – Explore Derrick Cave
Option 2: Wheeling the area.
7pm – Chili Potluck (Large group activity.)

[If you're not at camp and/or want to meet with someone to head out]
12PM – Meet at the Sunriver Subway/Shell gas station (Exit 153) Grab a cup of coffee / Socialize
1PM – Wheel over / around Paulina Lake heading towards Camp MorningWood
[Another option!] Meet us at camp MorningWood 43°30'22.9"N 121°02'55.2"W 43.506376, -121.048672

Saturday:
Wake up!
First - Explore to Lost Forest and Sand Dunes
Then - Scenic route (back way) to Crack-in-the-Ground
Next – Explore Crack-in-the-Ground and do Lunch
..and then – Dinner at Fort Rock Diner!

Sunday:
Wake up (again) & break camp
Option 1: Head towards Bend via Paulina Peak / Newberry, the back way in. (if snow not too deep)
Option 2: Head NE to Derrick Cave and back way over Pine Mountain.

Requests / Instructions:

1 - Send and email to me ebewley[at]zukiworld.com letting me you're attending (please include a cell number type of vehicle, where you are coming from, t-shirt size, and how many will be in your group)
2 - Watch this thread for more information. (A list of attendees will be generated in this thread as verification that we know you're going)
3 - An email will be sent to those that are attending with finalized details including specific meeting locations, times, maps, etc...
4 - It most likely will be very cold. (bring what you need to survive)
5 - Have a 200 mile range with your vehicle.
6 - Bring an arm load of fire wood to help out or means to gather some firewood on our way to camp.
7 - Suzuki mfg vehicle or special guest.
8 - Trailers, motorhomes, & campers are heaviliy discouraged, If you need to haul, consider dropping off in LaPine and driving your adventure rig from there.
9 - If you bring a dog, make sure it is well behaved or you may be asked to camp far, far away from the group.
10 - Have an FM radio that can send and receive on the MURS frequencies. (Hardly anyone has a CB and they don't work well at those distances anyway)
11 - Unlimited number may attend (Let's go wheelin!). First 10 drivers will receive a ZUKIWORLD windshield decal and a chance at a GRAND PRIZE.
12 - Chili Potluck is where each person brings a can of chili to throw into a big pot. We'll provide the cookin' you bring the chili.
13 - THERE IS AN ATTACHED FILE TO HELP YOU PROGRAM YOUR BAOFENG UV-5R RADIOS. IT HAS THE MURS AND FRS YOU'LL NEED.

Who's In: Updated November 9th. 2015
E. Bewley | Samurai - Portland, OR
M. Verley | Sidekick - Seaside, OR
G. Faust | Sidekick - Newberg, OR
T. Ouellette  | Tracker - Chilliwack, BC
K. Ellingsworth | JK - Salem, OR
D. Arnold | UZJ100 - Salem, OR
V. Mueller | FJ - Stayton, OR
R. Ender | Samurai - Corvallis, OR
G. Steffen | Samurai - Eugene, OR
G. Mills | Samurai - Astoria, OR
J. Alonzo | Samurai - Seattle, WA
B. Bewley | Tracker - Dallas, OR
S. Vaillancourt | Samurai - Albany, OR
G. Mikkelson | Sidekick? - Salem, OR
I. Facchini | Toyota - North Plains, OR
J. Gates | Tracker - Corvallis, OR
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 11:59:23 AM by ebewley »
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
Re: ZUKIWORLD ZUKFARI - Fall Classic 2015 - Bend, OR
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 04:29:03 PM »
I'm in!  Email sent!
Most likely just me and the Sidekick Sport this year...

I plan on heading over to cabin lake on Thursday; anybody else headed over a night early?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:51:44 PM by sewerzuk »
My rig is a fusion of Jazz and Funk; I call it JUNK

Offline Soupy

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 05:05:12 PM »
Yup, Yup, I'm in.

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 06:32:25 PM »
well crap if everything works out I will be in driving a 02 tracker ....I will try to keep my ducks in a row so I can attend this year as I missed last year due to $$$ from the wife blownin the motor in her 4 runner so count me in ..for now
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 07:15:03 PM »
also just voted.... and I do care where I go cause its somewhere new im open to anything. Email sent
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:20:50 PM by ebewley »
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline darnold87

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 05:13:43 PM »
I'm in... I may have Mason with me... and not sure yet if I'll be in the Sidekick or Land Cruiser...
~Davey
'94 Suzuki Sidekick
'92 Suzuki Swift GT
'04 Lexus GX470

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 05:20:24 PM »
One of the things I'm interested in improving is having an activity during the evening hours. I was thinking of an "engineering challenge" ... build some sort of simple contraption to perform a task and have a contest...

some thoughts are:

1) launch glow-in-the-dark apples? (or other fruit) for distance or accuracy.
2) Most number of an object through an orifice in a certain amount of time.
3) largest weight moved by the smallest device.

etc..

Comments?

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline MaddHatter

• Where is the Any Key?
    • MB GRAPHIX
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 05:41:05 PM »
Put me on the list of attending. I am in with the FJ.

I may try to get out there Thursday... after work.

-Val

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 08:40:34 PM »
I am in.  I will be working in Hillsboro during that time.  I will think about driving the Sport up there, but may be in a rental Heep.

Offline CoolMooseMan

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 05:26:59 PM »
I'm in! Email sent!

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 06:51:35 PM »
Just a note on Mr. Bewley's requirements:

10 - Have an FM radio that can send and receive on the MURS frequencies. (Hardly anyone has a CB and they don't work well at those distances anyway)

We had some difficulty with communications last year that resulted in the group getting split up inadvertently, people waiting for other people who weren't coming, lots of wasted time, etc.  Those of us with VHF radios were able to communicate clearly for the entire trip, even over long distances.  With the cost of a new radio being less than the cost of a tank of gas, everybody should have one in their vehicle!  For those who don't know what MURS frequencies are or how to get a radio that uses them, I'll offer up a cheap option:

Radio:
http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Warranty-Dual-Band-Radio-Improved/dp/B00HX03AMA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1441157388&sr=1-2&keywords=baofeng+uv-5r

Battery eliminator:
http://www.amazon.com/EarlyBirdSavings-Battery-Adapter-Eliminator-Baofeng/dp/B009RCQWLI/ref=pd_sim_422_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=15VPKYVBYNV3TH6K583S

External antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/Nagoya-SMA-Female-Antenna-Baofeng-UT-108UV/dp/B00DTQ4A6M/ref=pd_sim_422_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=15VPKYVBYNV3TH6K583S&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

The battery eliminator is almost a "must have" because without it, you'll end up with a dead battery during the trip and a useless brick of a radio.  Another (more expensive) option would be to get a couple of spare batteries and an external charger. 

The external antenna is another option; it will nearly double the range of the radio.  Not necessary in most cases, but nice to have. 

A couple of us have our amateur radio licenses; if you want more information on this radio or a more expensive setup, shoot me a PM.  I'd be glad to help.  I'm looking forward to less confusion in the group this year! 

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 07:24:55 PM »
so is that the radio that everyone will be  using , I have a cb antenna will that plug into the radio?

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 07:36:21 PM »
Great suggestion sewerzuk.  We have used the BaoFeng all over without issue.  The prices have come down also.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:18:01 AM by Ridjobradi »

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 07:39:33 PM »
so is that the radio that everyone will be  using , I have a cb antenna will that plug into the radio?

No, a CB antenna typically uses a PL type connector and won't plug into the baofeng.  It is possible to get an adapter to make it fit, but do not do this.  The CB antenna is not tuned properly for the VHF band and at best won't work, at worst damage the Baofeng radio.  They work fine with the "rubber ducky" antenna that they come with, but the mag-mount antenna I posted a link to is only about $7 and it offers a good boost in range. 

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 08:30:57 PM »
No takers on the 'engineering challenge' eh? How about a 'chug' contest with cans of Easy Cheese?

That'd make memories! :)

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online