Hello Guest

seeking specific knowledge of Sammy/tracker compatibility

• 3 Replies

Offline samurai monster

seeking specific knowledge of Sammy/tracker compatibility
« on: September 03, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »
Well here goes... I have an incredible tin top body on a hacked up chassis with no motor or trany I also have a 98 tracker with a rusty body, busted windshield and a questionable "hard top" targa... Not worth the money to fix tracker to be highway legal, I miss the shit out of my samurai and want it to live again, can I make the Sammy body fit? Can it be done? Has it been done what potential heart crushing hurdles do I face, what do you guys think? I have tools, and both to park side by side
PD powered by chevy

Offline samurai monster

Re: seeking specific knowledge of Sammy/tracker compatibility
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 04:59:10 PM »
More reason behind the post, the samurai in my mind far more handsome, and there is the "awe factor" you never pass 7-10 samurai per day... The lack of emissions testing due to age, I have clear title ... The tracker chassis is easy to source parts, more comfortable ride, faster, mildly more flexible (stock vs stock)...  I'm not looking to argue the point of the capabilities after modified or the pros of keeping samurai chassis... If it's going to be holy hell expensive of a two summer project I'd rather buy a beat up old Sammy and swap bodies.... If it's impossible I'd like to hear so from someone who is knowledgeable on topic
PD powered by chevy

Online fordem

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 07:28:35 PM »
You have both vehicles, park them side by side, and grab a tape measure - it should not take you more than an hour to determine if you want to invest the time for the swap.

Start by measuring the frame rails - how far apart are they - if they are close, measure the wheel base, then locate the body mounts, etc.

My guess is it's more work than you want to know about - I believe the Trackers are larger, longer & wider.

A less challenging approach might be to swap the Tracker running gear over to the Samurai chassis.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline samurai monster

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 06:34:11 PM »
I bought the samurai as a pro mud rig with a 350 sbc.... The honest problem there is I don't want to play cat and mouse over what was cut off before I owned it, motor mount re cut and weld etc...if I had a bone stock Sammy chassis I would go that route...
PD powered by chevy