Hello Guest

new alternator, blown 30 amp fuse under dash fuse blown while driving after repl

• 2 Replies

Offline les friendly

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
87 samurai....I recently changed alternators......new was continually allowing my lights to brighten as the motor revved higher rpms, climbing a HILL AT 4500 RPM 3RD GEAR it superpowered my wipers and then blew my underdash fuse for the coil and then the 30 amp from the alternator... I replaced fuses and the coil and blew the fuses again.....I disconnected the coil changed fuses and then blew fuses again........where do I start is this possibly a bad ECM?

Online fordem

Blown fuses are caused by excessive current flow, usually as a result of a short circuit - I won't claim to be familiar with an 87 Samurai, but, I have no recollection of a 30A fuse in the alternator circuit, and I'm a couple of miles away from my manuals, so I can't check.

Find yourself a diagram and see which circuits are powered from the fuses that are blowing, check those for a short circuit - if there is a fuse in the alternator circuit that keeps blowing, there is a strong probability that the alternator itself is defective.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline RangerRick

• Be Prepared - Be Prayerful - Be Thankful
First have the alternator tested and then the ECM. Should be a free test at parts house. Not bad?
I would upgrade your wiring on the alternator side and upgrade fusible link to a minimum of 40 amp.
Clean & upgrade the ground wires also .

When I built my Zukes back in the mid 95 to 05, I ran a smaller weld cable ( lots of fine wires )around the frame and attached all grounds to it then the batteries. I also used the weld cable for alternator and starter.
Just a thought,
RR
Be Prepared - Be Prayerful - Be Thankful - You are an American