Hello Guest

40 years of Jimny

• 5 Replies

Offline TheLastSamurai

• 91' TFI
40 years of Jimny
« on: September 17, 2015, 09:15:08 AM »
This is a cool video of the history of Suzuki 4x4. Just thought I would share. https://youtu.be/6vMHAJpuIVQ

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: 40 years of Jimny
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »
In case you need a refresher on 4x4 driving techniques.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDvZbTo4lOQ
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 06:49:48 PM »
That's a great video. One thing I noticed is all of the disclaimers and cautionary statements. This definitely reflects Suzuki automotive's timid nature and why we will probably never see a bold 'out of the box' vehicle from them again. Fun to watch though. :)

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »
This definitely reflects Suzuki automotive's timid nature and why we will probably never see a bold 'out of the box' vehicle from them again.

I didn't see it as representative of Suzuki's timid nature, but rather as a necessary precaution, given their history with the likes of consumer reports & more likely driven by the perhaps "litigious" nature of American society.

By way of explanation - I'm a "non US national" who has cause to the visit the US frequently, and who uses the opportunity to compare the differences between life in the US and in the Caribbean - to give just one example, you won't/don't see our vehicles with the side mirrors warning that objects "are closer than they appear" - something that I have seen on the mirrors of every US rental car I've driven.

Whilst waiting for my wife, I sit & read the owner's manuals of the rental cars, they are filled with various warnings, what to do, what not to - adjust the seats & the mirrors before moving off, don't adjust the radio whilst driving, etc., - warnings, many of which, do not appear in the manuals of the same vehicles when sold outside of the US - this has led to one of my daughters (who has actually lived in the US for several years) making the statement that "Americans must be stupid" - they have to be told everything.

I'm not going to be as rude as my daughter, I'm sure she didn't mean to be rude, it was, after all, the observation of a child, so, as they say "out of the mouths of babes" - what I want to ask is "do Americans really need to be protected from themselves?"  Do they really need to be told that coffee is hot & can burn them - and yes, I am aware of the details of the McDonald's case - when all is said & done, the actual temperature of the coffee is not the issue - she DID attempt to hold a cup of coffee, which she KNEW was hot, between her knees - it was a decision she made - and as a result, she got burned.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 05:42:39 PM »
I appreciate your thoughts Fordem... Even though this video was in English, I don't think it was made for a US market. Nonetheless, you do make strong arguments as to the litigious nature of people.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline TheLastSamurai

• 91' TFI
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 03:10:20 PM »
This definitely reflects Suzuki automotive's timid nature and why we will probably never see a bold 'out of the box' vehicle from them again.

I didn't see it as representative of Suzuki's timid nature, but rather as a necessary precaution, given their history with the likes of consumer reports & more likely driven by the perhaps "litigious" nature of American society.

By way of explanation - I'm a "non US national" who has cause to the visit the US frequently, and who uses the opportunity to compare the differences between life in the US and in the Caribbean - to give just one example, you won't/don't see our vehicles with the side mirrors warning that objects "are closer than they appear" - something that I have seen on the mirrors of every US rental car I've driven.

Whilst waiting for my wife, I sit & read the owner's manuals of the rental cars, they are filled with various warnings, what to do, what not to - adjust the seats & the mirrors before moving off, don't adjust the radio whilst driving, etc., - warnings, many of which, do not appear in the manuals of the same vehicles when sold outside of the US - this has led to one of my daughters (who has actually lived in the US for several years) making the statement that "Americans must be stupid" - they have to be told everything.

I'm not going to be as rude as my daughter, I'm sure she didn't mean to be rude, it was, after all, the observation of a child, so, as they say "out of the mouths of babes" - what I want to ask is "do Americans really need to be protected from themselves?"  Do they really need to be told that coffee is hot & can burn them - and yes, I am aware of the details of the McDonald's case - when all is said & done, the actual temperature of the coffee is not the issue - she DID attempt to hold a cup of coffee, which she KNEW was hot, between her knees - it was a decision she made - and as a result, she got burned.

I would say its half and half. Half of the reason we have such manuals are because of the ignorance of man. The other half is very lawfully binding. For instance. If none of those things you listed were applied to U.S. sold vehicles, that would leave the door wide open to people who would sue for the money. Just like little miss McDonalds. Most people don't realize how free a country we really have here. If you tried to start a lawsuit against a large manufacturer in the U.S. and had the money and lawyers you could cause some trouble. Also federally mandated manufacturer laws.