Hello Guest

Looking for gears

• 17 Replies

Offline bgt2u

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Looking for gears
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:11:13 PM »
I am looking for two sets of ring and pinion gears  9front and rear) for my Suzuki X-90. I believe ones from a Tracker/Sidekick/Vitara, will fit it. The ratios that I am looking for are either 5.375's, or 5.675's (preferred). Does anyone have any for sale?

Offline DOWNEASTER

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: Looking for gears
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 07:00:05 AM »
Hello friend.Nice rig.I looked for gears like you for months, until a member turned me on 4xfourart.com they are the only(as far as I know)outfit that makes brand new gears for these buggys. They have two different ratio's ..5:72 and 5:85 (got the 5:85's).Now for the bad news,these will set you back $1023.00 per set(front&rear) delivered to your door and this company is from Turkey.plus you cant use a credit card to buy,it has to be a bank transfer.Plus two master diff rebuild kits(got mine from Low Range) i put new axle bearings out back and wheel bearings up front just because its all apart and its a great time to do it,lastly i had to have both 3rd's setup by  professionals(Trail Tough)as these"new" gears are nonstandard type setup and you WILL destroy them quickly if they arent setup properly. I also added LockRights to both front and rear of my rig.So,when all said and done, i went waaay south of two grand.But IMHO its money well spent.If i had more $ i would have put  ARB lockers on both ends, but the lockrights do work great for the money.
 You can run across used factory gear sets every once in a while in the 5:60's ratio,but I've seen one set in the last two years.They are kind'a like hens teeth,you know.LOL Good luck friend

Offline bgt2u

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 06:05:13 PM »
Hello, thank you  for the detailed, and informative reply. Wow, those gears are going to set me back a lot more than I expected. I too will end up purchasing the 5.85's, considering that thet are bothe the same price on the site, and they are pretty close to exactly what I would need with the 35" tall tires.  Right now I have 4.625's, and could get passed up by a three legged turtle when accelerating. I definetaly will have a shop set them up, as I know there is a lot involved, and you don't just bolt them in and go. Well, thanks again for your help. Take care.

Offline DOWNEASTER

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 05:20:16 PM »
Right i know its a kick in the wallet friend.But its the best all around way to go.If you were offroadn a bunch a 4:24 type transfer case gear set would be a super cheap help.And they work pretty good from what i've heard.I run 33x11.50s on a 2dr.,softop,1.6L 16v,5spd.with the 5:85s it acts like it did with stock size tires.Power wise that is.lol.I've been lookn at upgrade'n to 34s if i lift my rig another 2"(alter ego setup) along with the afore mentioned transfer gears it should keep it were its at on the power side.But wow your running 35s...?! it maybe cheaper to swap a 2L. or v6.to turn those bad boys.lol

Offline bgt2u

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 06:31:38 PM »
It is funny that you should mention putting in a V6. I have been considering that option. Would'nt I still need the 5.85's though, as my driveshafts turn so much slower now with the 4.625 gears, and it loses a lot of torque in the process? The only thing that I don't like about that swap, is it requires a body lift (along with a suspension lift) to clear the engine and transmission. I am already running a 2" (yes, only 2") aluminum suspension lift, and like the way that it sits now. I also used to have a 96' Tracker, and I loved it. I sold it to a friend, and really missed it, then I came across this X-90 (paid $450.00 for it), and decided to get it, as it (as you probably know) is the same thing as a Tracker, except for only two seats, a hardtop, and a trunk. My X-90 is not by any means finished. It is a work in progress. I still need to install the winch, light bar, do the body work, and make fender flares for it (I am in the procees of doing that now). Yes, I do indeed have 35/12.50R17's on it now, and everything actually clears, and it turns without rubbing. Everyone on these sites insists that that is impossible to put that big of a tire on a X-90, especially with only a 2" lift, and them not having to stick way out past the fenders. but I did it. I had to use a plama cutter, big sledge hammer, and a welder to do so, but it is possible. Well gotta go for now. I look forward to hearing back from you. Take care.

Online fordem

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 07:04:25 PM »
Just my $0.02, you're still going to need gears to turn tires that large.

The 2.5 with automatic & the 2.0 with the five speed, both use 4.875:1 gears to turn the stock 27" tire, you can go up to about a 29 with the stock gearing, up to about a 30/31, using the 5.125s out of the Sidekick, and if you want to go bigger than that, the 4xfourart gears, are about the only option.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline bgt2u

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 07:14:43 PM »
 Yes, that indeed is what I had figured. Ufortunatly, it looks like the 4xfourart is my only option....they are sooo expensive. Thank you for your two cents.....lol.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 01:19:29 AM »
You can squeeze and 2.7L Suzuki under hood without a body lift.  It is a tight squeeze and a lot of fitting.  100 hp above stock.  The 5 speed auto is right on odometer with 33" tires and 5:13's, so a little slow with 35's.
I would like to know more about " I had to use a plama cutter, big sledge hammer, and a welder to do so, but it is possible. "
I do have a front 5.62 sitting in garage, the rear has teeth missing.  It appears that it could be available if you find a rear to go with it.  Although shipping to your location would be pricey (can't get much further away in the US).
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline bgt2u

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 04:56:09 PM »
I had not heard of the 2.7L swap. Your set up looks sweet. I am not too worried about a tight squeeze fitting one in there. I managed to put a Ford Big Block 460 in a Triumph TR7, so this transformation shouldn't be too hard for me (I hope). Does the swap use the headers, engine mounts, and transmission from a stock 2.7L? As far as plasma cutting, big sledge hammer, and welder goes, what would you like to know? In the front of the car, I cut the sheet metal that is directly above the tires, up about 2.5". I cut out the sheet metal around the strut towers, leaving the actual supports that they are mounted to intact. Then I moved everything that was mounted on the inner fender wells inboard more, including the battery. I used the sledge hammer to push the fender wells (that your feet rest on inside), about 2" back. I then cut out the inner metal on the bumper, so all would clear when at full turn. I also removed the old yellow crappy stock headlights, and replaced them with ones from a Hyundai Accent, and made the appropriate mounts for them. On the rear of the car I cut out everything that was in the way, and re-welded anything that was possibly structual for the body (so the trunk, and rear window would not be effected). I had to cut out the rear body to frame mounts, and make new ones, placed about 2" further towards the front of the car. I also cut, and re-welded the gas tank filler neck up and over (more towards the rear).  The only other modification required to fit the 35/12.50's on was a 2" aluminum spacer lift kit. Right now, I am in the begining stages of making custom fender lips/flares for the front, and rear. I started shaping the rears, and then will fiberglass, etc. from there. I am interested in the front (and possible broken rear) 5.62 gears, as if I get them, I am half way there, and only need a rear set. What are you looking to get for them? By the way, my zip code here is: 34488. By the way, I also majorly upgraded the stereo, with two amps, two 15" subwoofers, and six 8" three ways, with a 7" GPS in the dashboard. I look forward to hearing back from you. Take care.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 05:20:14 PM by bgt2u »

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 07:49:55 AM »
Your modifications are less than what i had to do to get to 33's.  My very long build (minus the last couple of years that we lost in computer hack/crash earlier this year) is http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=22395.0 motor was in and out too many times, but finally got hood to close.  I fabbed motor mounts, used stock TC mount, and fabbed wiring and conversion.  05 XL7/GV.s and later have 5 speed auto's and the extra gear really helps keeping in power band.  If possible get the donor vehicle, or go with a US  motor that you can have computer reflashed with changes to operating parameters.  I am running 3 stock computers, with nothing going to BCM so it can tell others that it is happy.
I modified my fuel tank lid, so I could get by without moving location.
For fender flares you might try 90's F250 flares.. I measured a set and think they would fit 35's if I go bigger.

I will check with the boys this weekend.  I know one is going to toys, and other one is talking about same thing, so...

93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline bgt2u

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 06:02:08 PM »
I just checked out the forum link in your last reply. Wow, you have done a lot of nice mods to your Tracker.......very nice. I think I also, will lower my fornt differential, like you did, as I am sure I will eventually run in to CV joint problems too, if I don't. I saved the link, as I am sure that I will be looking through it many times in the near future. There is a lot of great info in there. I too, will be adding a winch soon. I am not going to go through making a super cool front bumper like you did though. I am just going to make mounts, and tuck it in underneath my front bumper. Thank you for the details on the 2.7L set up, as I am seriously considering doing that swap. I am confused as to why you are running 3 stock computers, and how they are hooked together, maybe you can enlighten me on that? Heck, at this rate, my X-90 is going to be a copy of what you did to yours....lol. I installed a 52" light bar in my bumper (taking a break from the fender flares). I had it sitting around, and figured I could get it in there, while being different from anybody else. I also modified my fuel tank lid, beleive it or not, it is just held in now with industrail strength velcro, and the key latch. After adding rear flares, the door was going to be close to impossible to open, so I came up with that idea. Well, I've got to go for now. Catch ya later.....
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:18:28 PM by bgt2u »

Offline DOWNEASTER

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 04:29:33 AM »
I like it..! now would you design a mount for one of those curved lightbars to be put at the top of the windshield on a '98 softop 2dr..LOL.I got a 42"curved osram type months ago,but havent found a mounting set that i like.I really didnt want to poke holes threw the windshield pillar.So,i started play'n with the idea of a mount like the jeeps have,one that runs down the length of the windshield pillars.I'm still in the drawn board stage.lol But I did try a chevy/gmc type mount and a toyota tundra mount,neither work,for me anyways.
 You got a very COOL rig friend.Man,you'll be hard of hearing with that sound system behind ya.lol
I see you mite have found a set of gears you where lookn for.These guys are AWESUM..! I would have been lost if not for neprecon,fordem,BRD HNTR,skyhighranger,and many more great guys that always seem to talk me threw anything i have issues with.I cant thank them enuff.
I will be listn some OME springs for trackicks if you mite be interested. They are #950 (front) and #956(rear).I maybe wrong about the rear spring #,i'll have to look at the tags on them again. lol Anyway they are almost two years old and they gave me nearly 3inch lift instead of the 2.5"they are rated to give.They are part of the Rocky Road 4.5" lift kit i installed and will be uninstall'n.I didnt use the 2"body lift,thats new in the bag.I'm taken everything BUT the front struts off.

Offline bgt2u

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 03:33:53 PM »
Thank you for the "I like it" comment. As far as mounting your Osram light bar, with a little time, and effort you can easily make one out of Fiberglass, maybe with a flexible aluminum tube inside of it, to get the form/shape you need. I am assuming that you do not to put holes into the pillars due to possible leakage. I can tell you in detail (if you would like), how create exactly what you need, step by step. You would have to sand down the paint along the length of both pillars, for the molded fiberglass mounts to stick, however, you would not have to drill any holes, and therefore, no leaks. Yes, a reinforced piece of fiberglass, on each side, would easily hold the weight of your light bar, and forces from bumps ect., with out a problem. Just let me know, and if that is something that you might be interested in taking on. I also might be interested in purchasing those springs from you, however, I have not decided on that yet. I am very new to this sight, and have a lot of knowledge to offer, members here, as I am an A.S.E. certified mechanic, have a masters degree in electro/mechanical/structual engineering, know how to do body work, and fabrication, and used to work for IBM as a computer technician......So, feel free to ask. Heck, I once took a mid 80' Chevy Chevette, and turned it into a pickup truck with Corvette ZR1 tailights (one of my many, many, other projects over the years).

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 10:02:04 PM »
I just checked out the forum link in your last reply.  I am confused as to why you are running 3 stock computers, and how they are hooked together, maybe you can enlighten me on that?
The '05 XL7 4WD runs on 4 computers + 1 in the dash; EngineCM, TransmissionCM, BodyCM, & one to shift TC.  The ECM, TCM,& BCM need to talk to each other on a CAN bus (controller area network) or you get a communication failure alarm and run in a fail safe mode.  So I am running the Body Control Module with only power inputs (and the CAN bus) to satisfy the ECM.  (With most US cars the computers can be reflashed and changed to eliminate and modify requirements like this, but I have not found anyone that works on Suzuki computers.)  I modified my TC to make it manual shift instead of electrical.  The wires for CAN bus are two wires that are twisted together and link all the computers together for communication.
There were some early XL7's with the 2.7 that had manual transmissions, but I think all later years were automatics.  The 2.5L had more manual transmissions and would bolt up to the 2.7, but you still have the communication issues.  Or run aftermarket management systems.   

My two little LED lights make my regular lights seem of no use, I imagine that bar of yours should light up the whole trail system.  You have done a good job of blending it into the bumper skin.

Offline bgt2u

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »
Thank you for clearing my computer question up for me. I get it now. Also, thank you for the info on the transmissions. When I actually get around to making the swap, the added knowledge will surely help me.  Yes, the light bar is extremely bright, it seems to lighten up everything to eternity, and beyond. My wife says they are like stadium lights. I made mounts behind my grill, and mounted the winch today....what a hassle that was, but I got it done.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:25:51 PM by bgt2u »