Hello Guest

Behold! El Diablito....

• 21 Replies

Offline Jonny Rash

• Too many Samurais, too little time
Re: Behold! El Diablito....
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 06:56:53 AM »
The thing about lockers, especially the automatic lunchbox type, is that they add a large amount of stress to the axles.  With the open-diff setup the likelihood of snapping an axle at the spline end and ending a day of fun is much more remote.

Also, in Oklahoma most trails are rutted and rocky with large mud holes, and loose dirt covered hills.  I often get by with a good line and a little bit of momentum.  In addition, the Super Swampers have helped immensely for that simplistic approach.  It would likely not work as well with a street focused tire such as a radial MT or AT.

Now, if I was taking out this rig to someplace like Moab with its long stretches of slick rock, I would definitely have lockers front and rear.

25+ years of Samurai ownership!

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 09:45:07 AM »
I would never put lunchbox lockers in a Zuki.  Zuki's are too light, and with the fine line in correct setup and driving style changes, they are not worth the disadvantages (IMHO).
Lockers are an asset, but more important is learning how capable our rigs are, and how to wheel them.  And with the number of yours and time you have been wheeling, you are more proficient than I am.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Jonny Rash

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2016, 05:29:41 PM »
I participated in another trail clean up run yesterday. I think I am going to keep Diablito like this. No doors, targa and when the weather is nice, I'll pull off the windshield (quick release mounts).  For when the weather is a little damp, I'll just throw on a Breeze Top fastback bikini.  If it is cold and wet, I'll just drive another Samurai. ;)

I also ran the tires down below 5psi. Talk about a smooth off-road ride.  8)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:35:27 PM by Jonny Rash »

Offline 4x4Johnny

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
still looks nice even without the doors and targa. any plans of doing some paint job on it?

Offline Jonny Rash

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 06:56:55 AM »
Yes, I plan on painting it this year.  It will be a medium gray color, and I will likely paint the wheels red. 

Offline nprecon

• ONWARD... through the fog!
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 07:45:11 AM »
That's a great looking old Jeep there in that pic and the paint colors work well together.
'02 Chezuki Tracker with a 2 Liter and 5spd.  It works for me!!!

Offline Jonny Rash

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 08:21:49 AM »
Yes, I love the old Willys CJ2 & CJ3 models.  :)   To me the Samurai is just an adaptation of those old jeeps with a more modern (lighter and efficient) powertrain.  8)