Hello Guest

the Blue Behemoth

• 10 Replies

Offline MultiCab

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
the Blue Behemoth
« on: October 28, 2015, 05:07:11 AM »
Suzuki Multicab with a massive 660cc go slow motor,  humongous 12" street tires, and it's all mine!!   :laugh:
it is a 4x4 and even has a 2 speed transfer case hooked up to the manual 5 speed tranny.  it is shift-on-the-fly to 4 hi up to about 40mph.   8)
first major order of business will be some decent tires for it.  til i find those, i'll be doing the usual tunes upgrade, adding some 12v lighter power taps, drink holders, etc.     :)

Offline 4x4Johnny

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: the Blue Behemoth
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 08:31:04 PM »
nice multicab. just wondering if ATV tires are okay to use in that kind of vehicle. I think its hard to find regular tires for 12" rims, right? by the way, did you do a DIY drink holder?

Offline MultiCab

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 02:18:00 AM »
hi.  thanks for your interest.
actually, most atv type tires are poor choices for this little guy.  reason being that they are usually either 2 or 4 ply and their weight ratings just don't provide what is needed for this 1800+lb truck.  the tires i have are 5.30x12 10 ply rated!!  probably available only here in asia but i'll try to get some pics of them and post them here.  the tread pattern is that of an earth mover!  just one of them can carry about 80% of the weight of the truck!
no cup holder yet, but i have made some improvements, but first you need to understand how they are built here in the philippines.
they are all from japan.  they separate the vehicles there loading all the frames/axles, drive trains (engine/transmission/transfer case, and bodies into separate 40ft cargo containers.  when they get here, the parts are reassembled without regard as to matching numbers or anything else really.  what you get is a mix of components from several different model years and none of the hvac equipment is included.  behind the dash is completely empty and they have a round cover tack welded where the air tube entered the cab on the floor.
i got rid of the welded cover and used a combination of 3" and 2" plastic pipe to get fresh air into the cab at floor level.  that little 3cyl under your seat gets pretty warm! 
next were the tires as i  needed the more aggressive tread where i go into the mountains.
i just put an insulating foil faced piece of foam under the floor mat to further keep the heat manageable.
i had a "canopy" frame welded and i mounted it over the bed.  i'll be putting a tarp cover over it in the next few days once i get all the measurements finalized.  i'm debating on removing the small back window glass to get even more air flowing through the cab.  with daily temps in the upper 80's to low 90's, more air is better!
after that, a removable seat will be put in the bed for when i take on passengers.
then there will be the usual offroad lights, driving lights, etc.
the fastest i've gone is about 110km/hr (66mph).  it is much happier cruising at about 70-80kph (under 50mph).
but i have seen these things so overloaded, the driver barely had any steering control!  and here, it is perfectly fine to haul as many folks as you can fit into the back of your vehicle, no matter if it is 8 in a little multicab or 50 in a huge dump truck.  even flatbed tractor/trailer rigs usually have people riding on the flatbed.  just crazy, but that's how they do it here.

correction on tire size:  5.00x12.  i have no idea how much difference it makes really.  just a correction.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:57:05 AM by MultiCab »

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 04:58:27 PM »
That's a cool ride.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline 4x4Johnny

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 09:12:27 PM »
thanks for the detailed response. It's great to know new info. How it has been done was kind of a tedious process

Offline MultiCab

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 07:17:34 PM »
ok, these are 4 of the baddest tires ever conceived by man!!  1/2" of tread covering 10 ply rated tires!!  these guys can handle anything!    ;)
the latest in tire tech using real nylon.  no mamby-pamby radials here... only the toughest bias tire construction is used for these babies!!  ::)
no need for a horn on my truck as everyone in a 1/4 mile radius can here me coming as these just scream "outta my way, big dog comin' thru!!!"   8)
the earth-mover tread can handle any terrain!!  ;)
and those awesome side-biting chevrons have to be at least 1milimeter high!!  those help beyond words!
and to think all this crammed into a 5.00x12 tire!    :P
absolutely awesome!!!!   :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:58:48 AM by MultiCab »

Offline MultiCab

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 03:14:15 AM »
all kidding aside, there are american pickups here too, although not that many.  ford ranger (world truck) and chevy colorado.  along with toyota, mitsubishi, mazda, and isuzu with these being far more popular over the us models.
they are all 4 door pickups with very small beds.  mostly used as status symbols really.  hot rods and sports cars are few and far between, but 4 door pickups rule.

for real work, most rely on the little suzuki multicabs and trucks that would be considered 1.5 ton and bigger.  the multicabs are way more affordable for most folks here that only haul up to about a ton or so in weight.
if you look closely at my pics of the suzuki, you'll see why they are so popluar for getting work done here.
the bed is completely flat with no wheel wells to get in the way.  and those are hinges not only for the tail gate, but also along each side!  yeah, they fold down completely out of the way giving you a flat bed for oversized items.  detroit could take a lesson from these little guys!  being single wall, they are easily repaired if needed and lend themselves well to various covers or 'canopies' as they are known here.  for the record, the bed dimensions are 55" wide by 77" long.  dropping the tailgate adds another 12" making the total length 89"  pretty impressive!
this is in addition to their coe design which lets you get into some really tight spots (narrow trails and streets!) and gives you great closeup vision without a big hood to try to see over.
building  a house here and the heaviest load i've had in mine (so far) i figured to be about 1,600 lbs.  10 bags of 50kg cement, 10 rods each of 12mm and 9mm x 10ft rebar, wife and myself, and several kg's of tie wire and other small stuff.
yeah, i was impressed when i checked and the rear springs still weren't completely compressing the the main overload leaf!!
ok, that's about it for now.  :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:14:23 AM by MultiCab »

Offline Abu Noa

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 12:30:52 AM »
Hi there, been reading the thread and just wondering if you got updates on the tires you have brought.
Also,did you manage to have them on lift kits?
i attached a pic mo my cab,shes tough as nails.
but i am looking for some upgrades on her,specially the tires and some lift kits.

Offline MultiCab

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 03:36:50 AM »
hi Abu Noa. thanks for the reply.  i sure like the color of yours compared to mine!
the tires i had in the pics lasted a whole 20 months or so.  the weather here being so hot, the tread wears pretty fast. and to be honest, i'm a pretty aggressive driver. as the house is finally done, no more heavy hauling so i've bought a set of 6 ply radials, 155R12.  they are actually a little taller than the others and rub a bit when turning too sharp.  i'll be switching to wider wheels after the first of the year.   not sure if that will help the tire rub or not.
also on my 2018 list is a canopy like yours and a new paint job as i hate the blue.  i do plan on altering the front end plastic before the paint job.  no lift kit, yet.  there is a body shop in a larger town that does a lift on these, but i have no idea of what they charge.  having the newer suspension is the problem.  the older Scrum types are an easy lift.
i never did get the cup holder figured out.  oh well, that is what retirement is for... all that heavy thinking!  ;)

Offline Abu Noa

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 09:52:24 PM »
The last time we did some repairs was on the carb because it was a bit dirty,then we followed up some cleaning on fuel filter behind the tank at the back because it is dirty.
I also repainted it with epoxy primer to have the bed reinforced.
I do not use the cab always but the weather have some factors on the rusts accomulations especially on the tigh areas,be sure to check up yours.
On the cover at the bedding thats where my rusts mostly are.
We have the cab since 2013,but shes really holding up.
I also recently changed oil but i missed the filter because i have a limited time and limited budget,since she does not really travel everyday,i guess it is fine.
I also have my battery changed because it was drained,kids are playing and perhaps missed to switch something off.
Im just from the neighbor island Panay.
Since i am away,i did removed the battery to keep it from draining.
Also,no one is available to look after her,so i did just parked it at the garage.
Let us share our views.

Regards

Offline MultiCab

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »
ok. i'm in Davao del Norte. i'm a US retiree now living here permanently. i use my multicab almost daily. the trips are usually short ones of less than 50km round trip.  i change the oil and filter 2 times a year.  i also change the radiator coolant at the same time. so far, so good.