Hello Guest

No fuel for start? Cold start injector

• 2 Replies

Offline Malpais

No fuel for start? Cold start injector
« on: January 15, 2016, 06:04:55 PM »
My sammy - 95 or 96 1.6 DOHC has been starting harder and harder. Since it's the only way to get on and off the mountain I live on, tried to repair it yesterday.

There is spark - in fact it starts and runs great after a squirt of any kind of fuel into the intake.

To get it running without the squirt, I may have to crank it 10 or 20 times. Then it will fire on one, two, three and finally all cylinders and drive fine.

It there a cold start injector on these engines? I don't remember wiring one when I put the engine in. Does the fuel rail hold pressure for the next start?

What might prevent it from getting fuel only when first starting?

Sorry if this post is repetitive - a search pulled up 108 pages of stuff.

I haven't been on the forum for a couple of years (i think) so maybe I'm not searching correctly.

Thanks for any ideas!

Cold and stuck in Northern Colorado

Gordon

Online fordem

Re: No fuel for start? Cold start injector
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 04:39:04 AM »
What engine do you have in your Sami - Suzuki never made a Sami with a 1.6, and although many Samis have had 1.6 engines swapped in, the most common swap is a Suzuki 1.6 from a Sidekick or Tracker and those are SOHC, not DOHC - they come in 8V with throttle body injection & 16V with port injection, and, depending on who did what when the engine was swapped, can be carbed or have one of several different EFI systems (1.3 TBI, 1.6 TBI. 1.6 MPI).

You have to figure out what yours has before we can help you.

By the way - none of the Suzuki EFI systems (that I've seen) had a cold start injector - there's enough injector capacity that they can increase the duty cycle to richen the mixture, most of them run the pump for a few seconds at key on to prime the system, and also whilst cranking.

Have you checked the fuel delivery pressure?
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Malpais

Thanks for the correction
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 09:36:31 AM »
Thanks for the correction! Sorry to bother folks with bad info.

It's is a 1.6 16V

I know what I have as I took it out of a 95 or 96 sidekick and installed in the Sammy. Wiring harness, comp, fuel pump, and everything else. It's seq fuel injection

It's cold and dark so I didn't go out to see the head /valve cover when I posted...........and it's run well enuf I never had to mess with it.

It has run well for several years and still runs well once started, so I haven't checked fuel pressure - YET.

Thanks,

Gordon